Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Another Lyman 450

Another Lyman 450

Picked up two lyman 450's a year ago. One in very good condition and this one fair.

The good one is seeing duty sizing 9mm and 357 sig boolits.

This one here, I finally decided to use it for my 45-70 boolits.
    Cleaned, and ordered a few new parts, the rod and piston are new. The old rod had a nut welded on the bottom! No idea as to why?? Guessing its an early 450 as the piston does not use the o-ring style piston. Bought the newer style piston. Will be picking up a few o-rings today for the base and some for the die.

The linkage works fine but is butt ugly with the bolts instead of pins, again the po replaced them for who knows why??

Glad to get it going. A lot easier using two 450's than changing out boolit lube when you change calibers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	207928

Good for you. I need to find me a second one, I haven't used mine in two years but I'm getting ready to gear up for a winter casting session. My 450 still has the lube in it and its kind of hard. I think I will put the heater under it, I may be able to use the last of it before I give it a good cleaning.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine was leaking lube from around the bottom and I rebuilt it earlier this year. Some of my pins were worn and I replaced them with bolts. I went with a grade that is above grade 8 as they have a nicer finish.

I received my rebuild kit from Lyman yesterday and got it installed without much trouble. I sized and lubed 250 pcs of Lyman 358477, and 100 of 358156 with gas checks. No leaks either, thank the Lord. Now I need to purchase some Lyman stick lube.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    Last edited by Ole Joe Clarke; 12-07-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    I recently put a Lyman 45 sizer back in service that I hadn't used for about 20 years.It had the old Ideal lube in it.I warmed it up with a heat lamp,added a new stick of lube and used it.The original lube was still good.Worked OK in a .45 ACP.

Boolit Bub
    I also have two 450's that I use. The first one still has the old grease lube in it but the other one I cleaned out so that it is absolutely dry & clean and I use this one to size boolits that I plan on PCing later...no contamination preventing the powder sticking to the boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    I received my rebuild kit from Lyman yesterday and got it installed without much trouble. I sized and lubed 250 pcs of Lyman 358477, and 100 of 358156 with gas checks. No leaks either, thank the Lord. Now I need to purchase some Lyman stick lube.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    I would go with White Label Lubes. They have a wide selection of lubes for almost any boolit lube purpose, plus they are a vendor sponsor.
    Look for LsStuff.com at the bottom of the page.

I just bought a Lyman 450 from @phaessler and this will be my first lubesizer. I can't wait! Gonna use it to size my 358477s, 452460s, and my Lee 252 .45s for 45 Colt.
    Everything else gets a powder coat. This will be a huge upgrade from tumble and pan lubing