Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb 18 Handloader Magazine has an article on PC cast bullets

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Forget the toaster oven. Get a decent hot plate (~1200 W), cheap flat ceramic tile and small sheet of steel plate covered with NSAF or parchment paper. Easy to stand up, no domino effect and NO PID (temp control ) needed. Even works in the garage @ <40F. You need the steel plate/tray if you want to WD or change trays. I can get 80 or so on the tile (which evens the heat). Oven is on the garage shelf gathering dust. I did hook up the PID to check temp, now I just set the dial to high and walk away, come back in 10- 60 (for WD) minutes when done. Haven't slumped any yet.
    Attachment 210979
    Popper has cornered the market on simplicity. I first saw this in the "Standing Tall Bullets" thread. I tried it and it works great.
    F_L

One note I forgot to add- do NOT try moving the tile when hot. If you want to WD or do multiple batches, use a metal plate which can easily be moved with 2 pliers. You DON'T want a bunch of hot boolits and tile in unfortunate places - brittle tile. I did try a metal cover over the H.P., too much trouble and it didn't really help anything. When I cast some more I'll try using HiTek powder as DT and cook - no drying needed?. ESPC the HiTek powder worked fine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Were you doing the shake and bake with plastic bbs like many others do? I intend to run with the airsoft pellets and a cool whip #5 canister to start since that has been a proven method already.
    I didn't use BBs. I have the HF ES machine, but wanted to try out the new powders before I cleaned up the gun. I had never tried the shake and bake method, but I loaded up two #5 containers with each powder and 5 bullets and shook them both the same amount of time. The gray turned out the best.

I did ES some black today and they turned out great too.

Don't mind the lint that can really be seen on the black.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poly m44.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	211224

Poly coated with a coat of Eastwood White then a 2nd of Black. Both provided good coverage but the first time I laid them down on the pan and I didn't like the flat spot on the bullets left by the hardened PC so I gave them another coat after I seated a gascheck on the bullets and sized them to .309. The second coat of Black Poly coat bumped the size back up to .311" So off they went to be loaded up for a test shoot tomorrow.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I personally thought that article did a major disservice to PCing Boolits and I will tell them so at SHOT in a few weeks.

Why would you put a picture of poorly coated boolits on the Cover????? Nobody is going to get interested seeing that !!!

Friends of mine from my Club were calling me all day yesterday wondering how these made the cover?

He did the bare minimum to get some PC on some boolits. He also didn't even stand them up when he cooked them which shows he wasn't trying very hard to make a decent looking product. Complained about the extra time it took and said he would keep using the Lubrisizer. Too much effort to do it right.

Making Ammunition requires "Attention to Detail" and "Personal Responsibility," these are the two components of Craftsmanship.

No Craftsmanship whatsoever displayed in this article and as a result I have no use for it. Many here have heard me say many times, that if you don't give a ship about what you do I got no use for you. Well here's a perfect example of just that.

In my opinion this was a half assed attempt at PCing, and most people here do better on their first attempt, I know I did. This is what happens when a writer gets and assignment he doesn't want to do. I already bitched to some of the staff last Friday and plan on calling them back tomorrow.

He also only mentioned in passing that using a $70 PC gun, which actually does a decent job the very first time you use it, was an option. Oh **** you've got to have an Air Compressor and a regulator. News Flash: Most people that have any mechanical skills at all have Air Compressors in their garages now. You can buy one to blow up your tires for $80 at HF!

I wanted to write that article but I knew they would have rejected it no matter how well it was written, mainly because they wouldn't even have looked at it! And that is because I am not on their list of staff writers. Already tried going down that road but got nothing but NO and lack of interest, and NO cuz your not a "Journalist!"

Pretty disappointed really. They could have had these on the cover.See Pic

Sorry for the rant but I see this magazine deteriorating rapidly and it bothers me This issue had 66 pages! And readership is declining rapidly. That is why I stopped advertising my Hand Press there.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-07-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks Buchanan for the rant...I completely agree and wanted to write the same thing you did about the half-baked attempt and choice of procedure but thought I better not as I'm skating on thin ice around here as it is...thought it may construed as 'trolling' or something else.

I'm so disgusted with Handloader Magazine for all the regurgitated articles they've done in the past I gave all mine to albunaito over in Hawaii and they will never get another nickel out of me ever again. I've seen many a post right here in forum that has put more effort into an article!

So...when you give them the 'What For' give them a big 'What For' for me too!

c h a r l i e
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Thanks Buchanan for the rant...I completely agree and wanted to write the same thing you did about the half-baked attempt and choice of procedure but thought I better not as I'm skating on thin ice around here as it is...thought it may construed as 'trolling' or something else.

I'm so disgusted with Handloader Magazine for all the regurgitated articles they've done in the past I gave all mine to albunaito over in Hawaii and they will never get another nickel out of me ever again. I've seen many a post right here in forum that has put more effort into an article!

So...when you give them the 'What For' give them a big 'What For' for me too!

c h a r l i e
    Between the two cast bullet boards I hang out on I can get 10 times better info than from any of todays gun rags.....just my 2 cents....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    that half *** attempt at powder coating is evident in the
    article itself ...mediocre at best
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Mold
    Half ***** or is that Half Baked? I read the article with some excitement that they showcased the same thing that i have been doing for a few years. I think the writer is a "beginner" to the process and in a few months will get better at it. I found the information good, with the differences between "p.c" and non "p.c" interesting. When I tell others of my process with casting and "coating" i find it helpful to refer to the article. I also think that as this process goes mainstream we will find more people in the shooting arena also becoming casters. I say this could only help everyone.

Boolit Master
    So just how bad is the odor when baking the pc boolits?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    i cant speak to how bad it is health wise but as a single guy i was able to do a batch in my kitchen oven, i did run the fan but was not bothered by any odor

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I cure mine in a convection toaster oven out in my shop, I've never smelled any odor from the curing bullets.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I notice some odor with some colors not so much with others my nose is not that great, My wife has a nose that will pick up anything and she has not complained about the smell out in the shop but heck I am out in the shop. To me the odor is no big deal.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellas. I've got about 750 Hornady hbwc that came undersized at .356 and an SP 101 with .359 throats so I thought I'd wash off the dry lube and see if I can bump up the size by pc them.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26730967_10214514306842021_2045640523938699869_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	211618
    the Eastwood Gloss Black is excellent. The Gloss White is ok and I'll probably mix the two together shortly to create a mixed gray when I decide to get more powders to play with/sort my loads by.

Bruce

Boolit Master
    Cosmic Charlie-easier to just shoot the HBWC- they are designed to obturate and seal the bore. Lot of work involved in cleaning commercial lube off well enough to PC.
    Loren

Boolit Master

Just ordered 3lbs of Eastwood Powder that were on clearance and with shipping it came at just $31. I should be set for a while.

1lb of Primer Black, I'll probably add that into my gloss black/gloss white mix as it currently looks a great grey when applied but turns into a speckled glossy off-white once its cured and I prefer a darker bullet than the pure white.

1lb of Architectural Bronze. price was too low to look away from and maybe it will make the bullets look FMJ or somesuch. If not, it will go into the porridge-grey mix already described.

1lb of V-Twin Orange - Going for some bright to make them contrast with the brass cartridges in my rifle bullets so I can mark them as my high velocity loads in the future. And the price was great.

I thought that pic was awful, even my first batch looked better than that.
    Article was not written with an open mind.

Boolit Master
    It was a non useful article very disappointing learnt nothing .

Amen! I use Smoke's Signal Blue, and Flame Red with good success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast