RepackboxReloading EverythingPBcastcoLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Paradox mold came in today

Russian Paradox mold came in today

Just cast a couple with my new Russian paradox mold. They gave me an extra insert for a hollow base slug (to shoot without the special tail wad), so I’m sure a lot of guys will be pleased with that. The slug with the tail wad comes in around 538 grs While the slug with the hollow base pin comes in at 640 grs.

I am super excited about testing these!

This is one of the molds I’ll be selling in the upcoming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking slug , please give us a report of how she acts

Man am I jealous! I'm still waiting on my Russian mold and tail wads. Likely another week for the mold and at least 2 for the wads! ugh... I want to cast and test so bad I can't see straight! It was basically -33 Deg C here all last week so some nice slug casting would have really fit the bill!

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Master

mine says to expect it sometime the first of next month.

Banned

Are you selling them here on this site or ????????

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Are you selling them here on this site or ????????
    I’ll do both.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm liking this stuff!

All I've got for a new mould is the Lee 7/8 oz. not that there is anything wrong with that but I do like the Russian Tusker. I may have to join you guys supporting the Russians. It seems they are the only one doing innovative things with slugs these days.

I have enough slugs cast for testing to do myself permanent injury! Now to find some time to load and shoot.

There is a local guy here who bought a couple of the Russian moulds but so far only the Lyman sabot slug clone which I want to try and round ball.

I'm thinking a Tusker mould may be in my future.

BT: Are the tail wads the same for the Paradox and Tusker? If so then that makes it easy to get two or three different moulds and use same tail wads.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I'm liking this stuff!

All I've got for a new mould is the Lee 7/8 oz. not that there is anything wrong with that but I do like the Russian Tusker. I may have to join you guys supporting the Russians. It seems they are the only one doing innovative things with slugs these days.

I have enough slugs cast for testing to do myself permanent injury! Now to find some time to load and shoot.

There is a local guy here who bought a couple of the Russian moulds but so far only the Lyman sabot slug clone which I want to try and round ball.

I'm thinking a Tusker mould may be in my future.

BT: Are the tail wads the same for the Paradox and Tusker? If so then that makes it easy to get two or three different moulds and use same tail wads.

Longbow
    LB,

Yessir. The tail wads are interchangeable.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that's good to know!

I am really thinking on that Tusker clone and buying a couple thousand tail wads.

Same tail wad for the Gualandi clone too I'm guessing? Now that would be nice. I think I like the Paradox and Tusker styles best though.

Have you tried any cast solid without tail wad in a rifled gun? Or even with the HB but no tail wad in rifled gun? I would figure they'd shoot well and likely better without the tail wad in rifled gun.

Longbow

Where do you get the wads?

Also what is the diameter of the slug, etc? This looks like the mold I have been wanting forever.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

Banned

What about the two banded one? I thought they had a base plug to make this a two band.

Thinking about this. I have about 20,000 Herters and Alcan fiber base wads and cards. Bought them at a auction for $2. Just want to see how this works out first

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    What about the two banded one? I thought they had a base plug to make this a two band.

Thinking about this. I have about 20,000 Herters and Alcan fiber base wads and cards. Bought them at a auction for $2. Just want to see how this works out first
    The two band slug worked well with Blue Dot from a smoothbore. The Range was 50 yards.

Now that's good to know!

I am really thinking on that Tusker clone and buying a couple thousand tail wads.

Same tail wad for the Gualandi clone too I'm guessing? Now that would be nice. I think I like the Paradox and Tusker styles best though.

Have you tried any cast solid without tail wad in a rifled gun? Or even with the HB but no tail wad in rifled gun? I would figure they'd shoot well and likely better without the tail wad in rifled gun.

Longbow
    I just tested some without the tail wad. Needs more tweaking. 4-5” groups at 50 yards. This was out of my smoothbore. I’ll post some groups in a few.

Boolit Grand Master

Those 2 band slugs are looking good from smoothbore.

How much tighter are groups from rifled gun?

Maybe you've posted that already but I'm on my cell phone and find it hard to navigate. Sorry.

Those 2 band slugs are looking good from smoothbore.

How much tighter are groups from rifled gun?

Maybe you've posted that already but I'm on my cell phone and find it hard to navigate. Sorry.
    LB, I haven’t shot the new slugs from a rifled barrel yet. I’ll do that next outing.

Banned

Blood, the two banded one is this mold with a longer base pin right so you can do 2 band and 3 band?
    Last edited by tomme boy; 01-13-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm... I just had another idea too. My home made mould HB plug can be easily altered. I could take my turbo1889 design and make a new HB plug to suit those Russian tail wads. That would likely be a good design as the slug itself is supposed to shoot quite well... and I'll be finding out shortly.

I better check out tail wad availability. Its likely worth buying some and trying this. I may look at the Tusker mould too. Unfortunately I am on 1/2 hours for now so we'll have to see how the toy budget holds up.

Boolit Bub
    Cool may ask what are the out side Dimensions ?

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Russians have always been a very practical people looking for simple results understanding what hunters need.
    I am impressed ! That is fine accuracy at 50 yards.
    What kind of penetration is there wacking into solid materials ??? Couple sheets of 3/4 plywood would be a good test. Maybe even a 1/16 sheet of metal in there to represent pig grizzle.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Any more info on this slug and its preformance?

I just picked this one up myself. Along with some
    Wads. But looking for more wads.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast