RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M66 - Trashed or not?

S&W M66 - Trashed or not?

got through the first cylinder, reloaded, and found that it wouldn't close. started looking at why and noticed the issue below. Took things apart and could not get the crane off the cylinder. The ring holding on the arbor was bent it as well. The cylinder looks repairable but Numich doesn't have any stainless barrels. Ideas? go crazy and do a Clark custom slab side barrel?

not ammo related as i know these have issue with a steady diet of mag. Trying to find the original receipt to see if smith with cover the warranty but not holding out hope on that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	210918

Boolit Master
    That isn't much detail in the photo, but it appears you have a split forcing cone and perhaps a frame cut? Those usually do not happen all at once.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Dutch I have rebarreled many 19, 66 couple of 14 that this happened to. Gun not junk any good Smith can rebarrel it. I turned many into match pistols with custom barrels. Find a good Smith, good not a parts changer.

Frame is not cut cone split only.

Sources for barrels besides eBay?

Boolit Bub
    S&W isn't able to repair cause they don't have replacement barrels but they will install a used one for you if you have one. Look at http://smith-wessonforum.com in the Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade section or put in a WTB ad. K frames shooting light bullets in magnum loads tend to cause forcing cones to crack. Also when shooting lead bullets you must be sure to keep the forcing cone clean or the buildup of lead could cause the same result.Depending on the model dash number I have yokes and cylinders if you need one.
    Last edited by SNDBGGR1484; 01-02-2018 at 06:32 PM.

I'm pretty sure I have a 6" SS barrel if you're interested. email for best response

Boolit Master
    I had a 14-6 that i sent back to S and W that they said had a bad barrel.They said they no longer had any barrels so they gave me a choice of any revolver that I wanted.Said mine was covered under their lifetime warranty.I had bought the 14-6 almost 20 years ago. Might be something to look into.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The fellow offering the used barrel would be your best bet. Any competent gunsmith should be able to pull the old one and refit, but also check out the warranty and if you can get S&W to refit a barrel and refurb the gun that would be great.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Yep, it's trashed. Better send it to me for disposal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

You might try TK Custom ( https://www.tkcustom.com ). Tom has been an S&W Warranty 'smith ever since I've known him...something like 30 years...and is as likely to come up with an M66 barrel if anyone can.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

What is the history on that piece. How much has it been shot and what kind of loads? Just curious as I have several model 66s
    Dogdoc

exactly what shouldn't be shot it in, light weight 357 mag lots of 125 & some 110s, i would say total round count less than 2k though.

Quick update, we are still looking for the barrel.

another update, Smith and Wesson said to send it in for repair!!! pretty sure it will be covered under their warranty! downside, if you can call it that, is they only have 4 inch barrels. Don't really care between a 4 or 6.

Boolit Grand Master

If it was made before February 1, 1989 they will repair it but not for free. I had a pre 89 Model 469 that I sent in. I was told over the phone the inspection was free. Once they had it the sent me an invoice for $75.00 and $189.00 repair. Since I only paid $200.00 for the used gun I told them to send it back and since I was told the inspection was free I was not going to pay the $75.00. They said they would not return it unless I paid the $75.00 inspection fee. I informed them I was setting aside a dollar a week to pay them and they would get their money in 75 weeks. About 6 months later it just showed up no charge. I got the part of eBay for $30.00 and repaired it myself.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/warranty

Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-05-2018 at 04:16 PM.

made in 2000's...

Boolit Grand Master

Send it back to Smith and they will rebarrel it If it is not a pinned barrel the threads are force fit and need a special wrench set to replace.

Barrels are not too hard to find. I've seen them on eBay gunbroker and even local classifieds. I've got a couple of friends who bought a Douglas blank and had them fit to their model 66's your mind and wallet is your only limit

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Banned
    If S&W will repair it then there's your answer. If they only have 4" barrels then I guess you're going to get a 4" barrel! That would be my choice anyway.

As for the OP's comments about a 2K round count of 110 gr & 125 gr .357 magnum loads and the resulting damage - Thanks for sharing that information.

We've known for decades that the S&W K-frame magnums have their limitations. They are fine guns but a steady diet of magnums is hard on those guns and the light bullet magnums (110 & 125 grain bullets) are REALLY hard on them.
    I've always admired Bill Jordan's efforts to convince S&W to make the magnum K-frame and the concept is sound. S&W was able to marry the K-frame to the .357 magnum but that relationship comes at a price.

Just got a text from my gunsmith, he has found the barrel. Are you still interested or did we take too long finding it?lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast