RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good all around powder

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I've been loading some Red Dot with waa12 and Winchester primers in AA hulls.
    I have some Nitro hulls that I would like to use, and have some RXP wads. I've been looking in all the load data that I could find and am not seeing any data for Red Dot, RXP and Winchester primers. Recommended load for that wad and powder combination says to use Remington 209P primers, but I do not have easy access to anything other than the 209 Winchester. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? 1200 fps, 1 1/18 oz. loads are what I would like to stay with. These are used only for clays.
    Do you have access to a chronograph? The following load is right from the Alliant website.

2 3/4" Remington Nitro
    Federal 209A
    17 gr. Red dot
    Rem. RPX
    1 1/8 oz lead

1200 fps
    10,100 psi

You could safely swap a Winchester 209 for a Federal 209A (but I would not swap the other way around), although your velocity is likely to be a bit lower. With a Win 209, 17gr Red Dot is likely between 1150-1200 fps.

Boolit Master

I use red dot and unique. I've also tried 700x and 800x, but seem to go back to my old reliables.

Boolit Mold
    for 7/8 and 1 1/8 oz loads, I use 700-x and e3. e3 is a pretty fast powder and burns real clean.

Boolit Master
    I just got my new copy of Lyman Shotshell 5th edition. It has a load for nitro (STS), win209, 18 grains RD, and 1 1/8 oz using a waa12 wad. Everything seems to be the same as what I'm already using, only with a Nitro hull instead of a AA. The 3rd edition did not have this combination, nor did any other data that I looked at. (Hodgen, Alliant, etc.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Boolit Master

Unique has been my standby for loading .311/.375 RB in 12 ga (1-1 1/8oz). Just picked up a 8lb keg of SR7625 from a fellow reloader to give it a try (along with pistol)

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Unique has been my standby for loading .311/.375 RB in 12 ga (1-1 1/8oz). Just picked up a 8lb keg of SR7625 from a fellow reloader to give it a try (along with pistol)

CD
    ice score on a discontinued powder. I ran out a couple of years ago. Had to switch.

Boolit Buddy

Gents- UNIQUE gets my vote! I use it as my go-to powder for all 12/20/28ga shotshells (low to moderate loads) as well as cast boolit loads in centerfire rifle and pistol. I have a large supply of many other powders to choose from, but, in 85% of the cases, I begin the search with Unique, and just stay with it.\
    This is the old, dirty burning Unique, but it gives me a visual reminder to clean the weapon.
    If I remember correctly, the name Unique was used to denote how versatile this powder was. It still is!
    358wcf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12