WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 452 200gn swc molds

452 200gn swc molds

Looking to replace my crapy lee 2 cavity. Shooting them through a 1911. Of the readily available molds what version is best and has the most bang for the buck? Looking for two to four cavity, have only used lee 2 cavity molds.

Boolit Master

I like the Lyman 452460, 452630, and RCBS 45-201 SWC
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

I have and use that bullet too and can't say enough good things about it. Shoot accurate out of everything I have .452 caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

I've always been happy with the RCBS molds. I wish they made a 4 cavity mold! The only experience that I have had with Lyman goes back 35 or 40 years. They made a good mold back then. Saeco makes a nice mold. You might want to look at some of the custom makers. I think a few of them are site sponsors.

Boolit Master
    If you like the boolet just get the same one in the Lee 6-cavity. The 6-cavity Lee is an order of magnitude nicer than the 2-cavity. And man, can that 6-cavity shuck out the boolets!

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman, RCBS are both expensive molds. For the most bang for your buck, I would order MP-Mold or an NOE. Initial cost may be higher BUT they will cast to the diameter YOU want.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

When in a .45 mood. I have two- six cavity lee molds. Rotating between them I can run as fast as I can keep lead melted. I have a couple NOE molds for the good stuff, but for smashing plates the lee molds are just fine.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I like the RCBS 45-201 the best. Easy to cast and very durable, trouble free molds.

Boolit Master
    If you're looking for a good accurate design that will feed through virtually any .45 ACP handgun, the SAECO #069 is hard to beat. It's a #68 H&G copy, shoots at least as well and the mould is much cheaper than trying to find an original #68. Other mould designs, some of which have been mentioned already like the Lyman #452460, #452488, and the RCBS 45-200-SWC make very accurate bullets. I've had all these moulds for years. While they work well in many out-of-the-box unmodified pistols, they don't feed reliably in all of them.

I have a 4 cav. Lyman #452488 that I bought in the late '70s. It puts out beautiful boolits: they don't feed reliably in my 1911, but are a treat in both of my .45 Colts & my 25-2 S&W.

I had a RCBS 201KT that was reliable in the 1911 & was a good mold. In a moment of weakness I gave it to a friend that was getting started in casting (I miss that mold).

I have a 4 cav. SAECO copy of the #068.....a good mold & I use it often.

Henry

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for the 4 cav saeco copy of the H&G #068. PCed or lubed with just over 5.0 gr WW231 is a really nice accurate shooter. It is my go to mold.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Mihec copy of the H&G mold with the hollowpoint option in brass. The bullet only weigh about 185 grains but really shoot well.

I used to shoot 230 gr Lee truncated cone tumble lubers and wondered why I couldn't hit anything with a 1911. The Mihec mold works really good and I can cast hollowpoints with very little extra effort.

I've tried a few different 200 grain molds and prefer the Lyman 452460 for accuracy.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master

The RCBS or NOE or MiHec or Saeco would be a better quality mold than the Lee. I have no experience with Lyman. The MiHec is not readily available but an excellent mold. I would recommend the H&G68 profile. If a 2 cavity RCBS fits the need that is what I would recommend. I need more volume so I have a 4 cavity MiHec.
    For the price of a Saeco you can go with a custom mold.

NOE copy of the H&G68 4 cavity pb or hpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	211199
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

NOE 453-200-SWC 4 cavity for me
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master
    Saeco and Noe molds like the Noe better as the lighter mold is tiring with long casting sessions

Boolit Master

Used a RCBS 45-201KT for years (It's now 45-201SWC, same mold). Good mold.
    Then I splurged and got an Accurate 453200H 4 cav. Absolutely Great mold! Just a little tap and it rains bullets. Well worth the money. Quality is just 1st class.
    Both are copies of the H&G 68, accurate and run 100% in all my 1911's.

Boolit Mold
    Check e-bay for a Lyman 452460

Picked up a lyman 452460 from a member here. My first non Lee mold. What handles fit the Lyman 2 cavity molds and work well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast