ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel Media

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Well there seems to be nothing new

  1. #1
    Boolit Master
    cattleskinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Central Ohio
    Posts
    270

    Well there seems to be nothing new

    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Way up in the Cascades
    Posts
    2,080
    All I can say is, "WOW!" The Lugers are amazing. So is the projected asking price, but probably fair enough considering today's inflated economy and the prices of everything else. It has been said many times that the Luger would never be produced again, as it would be too expensive and requires too much machining to be made economically today...but there it is. Maybe if they are successful in production eventually the price will come down a little and I'll be able to afford one. Beautiful!

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Posts
    546
    Mind you that when DWM made them by the millions it still took @630 different machinings and @130 hand fittings over a period of 12 hours to make a Parabellum pistol.
    CNC might be smarter but it is seldom faster than true single stage machines and umpteen workers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWM machines.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	210910

  5. #5
    Boolit Master

    stubshaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southernmost State of the Union
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Mind you that when DWM made them by the millions it still took @630 different machinings and @130 hand fittings over a period of 12 hours to make a Parabellum pistol.
    CNC might be smarter but it is seldom faster than true single stage machines and umpteen workers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWM machines.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	210910
    BUT, Gunbroker has the originals for less...
    If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!

    The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Posts
    546
    I think DWM sold Parabellums for something like DM46 or $11 when they started, if GB sellers are cheaper than that go for it!

    Og and BTW i think what they (GB) sell are 9mm pistols not 45's

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    GOPHER SLAYER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cherry Valley ,Ca.
    Posts
    1,915
    I wish them well but I have my doubts. When shooters buy a Luger they are also buying a bit of history and newly MFG ones don't have any. Mauser found this out in the 1970s. As one man on the Luger web-site puts it, " if they were made after 1920, they are repose".
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

  8. #8
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I wish them well but I have my doubts. When shooters buy a Luger they are also buying a bit of history and newly MFG ones don't have any. Mauser found this out in the 1970s. As one man on the Luger web-site puts it, " if they were made after 1920, they are repose".
    Most everyone wants all the whiz bang items on their guns today like adjust sights, even night sight or electronic sights, accessory rail, and high capacity magazines. I believe that may be the reason Mausers attempt didn't fly. Throw in it was only available in 9mm (yes I know the early Lugers were in 30 Luger too). You know you can chamber a Luger to 38 Super with no mods to the pistol? That is as long as you use the new cases that are rimless, not the old rimmed ones. The magazine easily accept them too.

    I'd love a 45acp Luger, but not at that price. I'd buy one in a heart beat if it were cheaper.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Posts
    957
    Lugers wow is right they are really cool but that price i can buy a double rifle...... Not saying they ripping anyone off just not in my price range.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    185
    Well they've got me till the "lowest price ever in history" part Thanks for that much money I can buy original one .

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    GOPHER SLAYER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cherry Valley ,Ca.
    Posts
    1,915
    I should have mentioned in my original post that they cannot market this pistol as a Luger, even Mauser couldn't do that when they came out with their pistol in the 1970s. Luger is a registered trade mark of Stoegers. There was never a Luger factory in Germany or anyplace else. In Germany it was referred to as the P08. George Luger didn't invent this pistol, he redesigned it. Hugo Borchardt came up with the toggle design in a pistol and the magazine in the pistol grip. The toggle had been used before in Maxim machine guns as well as in the Winchester '73. As far as how well it will do in the market place, we will see. I doubt if many men can convince their better half that they really need a six thousand dollar pistol.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

  12. #12
    Boolit Master bluelund79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I should have mentioned in my original post that they cannot market this pistol as a Luger, even Mauser couldn't do that when they came out with their pistol in the 1970s. Luger is a registered trade mark of Stoegers. There was never a Luger factory in Germany or anyplace else. In Germany it was referred to as the P08. George Luger didn't invent this pistol, he redesigned it. Hugo Borchardt came up with the toggle design in a pistol and the magazine in the pistol grip. The toggle had been used before in Maxim machine guns as well as in the Winchester '73. As far as how well it will do in the market place, we will see. I doubt if many men can convince their better half that they really need a six thousand dollar pistol.
    Those who can swing 6k for a pistol don’t have to ask anyone permission.....

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    GOPHER SLAYER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cherry Valley ,Ca.
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    Those who can swing 6k for a pistol don’t have to ask anyone permission.....
    Have you placed your order yet?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

  14. #14
    Boolit Master bluelund79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Have you placed your order yet?
    No Sir, not a Luger/P08 fan.....lots more my family and I can do w/ 6k too. Like retirement property in 3 years!

  15. #15
    Boolit Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boonesborough, KY
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by cattleskinner View Post
    Do I hear crickets chirping?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, .30 WCF, .45-70 Gov't.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    cattleskinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Central Ohio
    Posts
    270
    Just a little bit. I could think of alot more that I could use six thousand on rather than a Luger, like a boat or nice used car, zero turn mower. I think this may be a prediction of consumer reaction to Springfield's introduction of the Sig 238 or Colt 380.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    rintinglen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    HB, CA, FOR NOW
    Posts
    4,125
    Anyone who thinks that they can buy a .45 acp ORIGINAL Luger for 6 grand is Hallucinating. Of the ONE known to still exist, it last sold for 495,000 dollars, over 20 years ago.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Denial
    Posts
    2,263
    Could somebody just bring back the Colt 1903/1908 .32's and .380's or the FN 1910 with a larger thumb safety and a set of modern sights? Not sure why we keep trying to re-invent the pocket auto wheel when John had it figured out a LONG time ago. The heel mag catch won't dig into you or drop your magazine from a tight IWB holster, and last-round hold-open ain't all that and a bag of chips.
    WWJMBD?

    "I'M MELLLLLLLLLLTING!" - Elphaba

  19. #19
    Boolit Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boonesborough, KY
    Posts
    3,868
    I'm very pleased with my Kimber Micro .380. Great pistol!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, .30 WCF, .45-70 Gov't.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master

    Lefty Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Benton IL
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I'm very pleased with my Kimber Micro .380. Great pistol!
    Second the Kimber Micro 380.


    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check