Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well there seems to be nothing new

Boolit Master

Those Luger 45 look nice but way to much money there. Ouch!

Theres nothing wrong with the luger that couldn't be cured with the weight of the 'front end' of a 1911.
    All the center of weight in that pistol is in your hand, makes the front end squirley...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Could somebody just bring back the Colt 1903/1908 .32's and .380's or the FN 1910 with a larger thumb safety and a set of modern sights? Not sure why we keep trying to re-invent the pocket auto wheel when John had it figured out a LONG time ago. The heel mag catch won't dig into you or drop your magazine from a tight IWB holster, and last-round hold-open ain't all that and a bag of chips.
    Right on big slug!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Could somebody just bring back the Colt 1903/1908 .32's and .380's or the FN 1910 with a larger thumb safety and a set of modern sights? Not sure why we keep trying to re-invent the pocket auto wheel when John had it figured out a LONG time ago. The heel mag catch won't dig into you or drop your magazine from a tight IWB holster, and last-round hold-open ain't all that and a bag of chips.
    Hear, hear!

I had use of one of the Colt Government Model 380 variants during the mid-1980s. These--unlike all of the subsequent sub-compact 1911-clone 380s--were actually usable and of a size that fit my large hands AND concealed readily. The Colt 1903 and 1908 mentioned by BigSlug also have these same advantages. Now, the 380 or 32 ACPs are no great shakes as felon repellent, but both beat hell outta throwing rocks or ducking & running.

The Colt GM 380 was a recoil-operated/locked-breech system. I don't understand why someone couldn't adapt this platform to the 9mm Luger cartridge and create a pretty decent 1911-ish compact carry piece in a less marginal caliber. I think SIG-Sauer made a gesture in this direction recently, though in a sub-compact package.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Hear, hear!

I had use of one of the Colt Government Model 380 variants during the mid-1980s. These--unlike all of the subsequent sub-compact 1911-clone 380s--were actually usable and of a size that fit my large hands AND concealed readily. The Colt 1903 and 1908 mentioned by BigSlug also have these same advantages. Now, the 380 or 32 ACPs are no great shakes as felon repellent, but both beat hell outta throwing rocks or ducking & running.

The Colt GM 380 was a recoil-operated/locked-breech system. I don't understand why someone couldn't adapt this platform to the 9mm Luger cartridge and create a pretty decent 1911-ish compact carry piece in a less marginal caliber. I think SIG-Sauer made a gesture in this direction recently, though in a sub-compact package.
    Springfield has done something like what you suggest with their EMP pistols. They have them with 3" and 4" barrels in 9mm and 40.
    I handled one of them and was surprised at how well it balanced, pointed, and felt in my hand.
    Expensive but worth a look.

Boolit Master
    Colt did do a limited production run of the 1903 .32 ACP pistols a while back. I remember looking at one at the LGS. But I waited too long to decide to get it and someone else beat me to it.

Boolit Master
    US Armament has been making a .32 caliber Colt 1903 model for 3 years now. Every review I've seen has been positive or nuetral. The biggest problem I see is that you can buy an original .32 AND .380 for the price of a new .32. There are 100,000's out there if you're interested in one.

For those interested, there is a Patrick Sweeney write-up on the Lugerman .45 Luger in the Feb. 2018 Guns & Ammo Magazine. I think that it's going to be a really fine pistol for those with a loose $6k (not me!) as the specimen he received to test had already consumed 7,000 rounds and was going strong. But, then again, why do I think that someone buying one of these would be unlikely to fire it often? Things like this seem to be made for awhile and then disappear into collections because of the limited market. Even the post-war version manufactured in the '70s was short lived. It was pricey at the time, but not nearly like this one. I think this will end up like the .45 ACP Broomhandles imported from China about 1980-- very seldom seen for sale now, all in collections. Lucky guys....!

Mr. Sweeney mentions a gentleman named John Martz who used to make .45 Lugers by cutting two existing 9mm Lugers in half and then welding the frames together to obtain the additional width needed for the .45 ACP cartridge. I used to chat with Mr. Martz at the San Jose, CA, gun show in the middle-late '70s. A real craftsman -- his creations were the jewels of Lugerdom. When he found out that I owned several he continuously tried to buy them, and of course I continuously refused, not being favorably disposed to having my guns cut up. Eventually it became a joke between us with him shouting out an offer before I'd reach his table.

Boolit Master
    The Springfield Armory, Kimber, Sig Sauer, and other new and similar designs all look and usually perform well. They also carry a nice price tag. For my needs I still prefer a Firearms International Model D or a Browning 1955. Have both and they keep me smiling. Reliability? The 1955 will go through a magazine full of ammo loaded with the Lyman 358101 wadcutters (button nose 75 grain) with zero malfunctions. I loaded several of the 101s a while back and was amazed to find complete cycling in the 1955, still waiting to try this boolit in other 380s in the pile. Isn't it fun to run out and experiment like this...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12