RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Lyman tru-line 7/8” conversion plate

Lyman tru-line 7/8” conversion plate

I’ve seen these for sale on evilbay from time to time, but not recently. anyone know who makes them or if they’re available anywhere else?

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman still makes them. The are used with the 55 powder measure to mount on a stand or press.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I am working with a machinist friend to possibly start supplying these, since this other fella at the link below only makes limited runs of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-reloa...-/252446325742

I just had him convert my 5/8-8 to a 7/8-14 just couple weeks ago. He is going to make a few more for me & decide if he wants to make them in more amounts as a production item. Cost/time analysis is ongoing right now. If I find that he will do it, I will post here again about it or maybe start a topic about it.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I am working with a machinist friend to possibly start supplying these, since this other fella at the link below only makes limited runs of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-reloa...-/252446325742

I just had him convert my 5/8-8 to a 7/8-14 just couple weeks ago. He is going to make a few more for me & decide if he wants to make them in more amounts as a production item. Cost/time analysis is ongoing right now. If I find that he will do it, I will post here again about it or maybe start a topic about it.

G'Luck!
    I have 2 Tru Line Jr's so I am interested should you decide to proceed. I'm finding my CH4D single stage is a bit slow, or is that just me in my old age?

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

G'Luck!
    What was the cost to convert?

Boolit Master
    He is a friend. A couple of cocktails.

He is an avid sportsman, a longtime shotshell reloader, a occasional rifle reloader & been a machinist for about 40 years. We have a lot in common & it was just one of those things buds do for one another, just to do it.

I just talked to him again yesterday & he said that he was busy at work since we just had the holidays, but will get back to me after a while about costs & such to possibly go into a bigger scale & make more. If anyone is in a hurry, then I would suggest maybe trying to contact the one who makes them now, even though they are out of stock. As I cannot say for sure that Joe will make more yet or not. HE seems inclined to do it, but it is not high on his priority list of things to do like a "job".

I will post here again as I learn more.

I do know that he already did/wrote the programing for the machines he would use, & I have the "prints" of the design he "reverse engineered", as well as some additional things we both worked on to improve them from the original design. I cannot go into the details of this, nor share the "prints", but it has been done to that point anyway. Making arrangements to get the alum. stock (6061 is what I thought he said), and arranging for time on the machines, are the next steps in the business plan. after that once cost analysis & marketing info is assessed, then possibly a decision would be made to either not do it, make a limited run to see if there is interest, or, go into production for a longer length of time & make a lot of them.

This is the only place I have mentioned this , other than with him. Once I have more info , I will share it here. I, as well as he, would need to know if there is enough interest for this project to be worth investing the time & $$ to start up to make more than 50 or 100 or so, and/or at least enough to get back the investment in it, & if not, then it is just something to think about as things get worked out. Otherwise it is not worth doing it but for an occasional weekend project for fun using just scraps when they are available. ( I am thinking that the guy(s) that currently make them are doing just that. Limited runs when they get the time.)

Either way, I will post here, like I said, as I know more.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Grand Master
    Every time this comes up I have the same reaction... why put more of a load on the little TL Jr than it was engineered to stand? To me, if there is any upgrade needed, having a single hole upsized to 7/8 x 14 to carry a carbide die for straight wall pistol cartridges would be about as big an alteration as would deserve serious consideration. The attraction of this press is its compact size, but the design also brings with it strength limitations. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Lyman tru-line 7/8” conversion plate

I’m wanting to set one up solely for 38/357 carbide dies. The tru-line dies are pretty pricey

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Every time this comes up I have the same reaction... why put more of a load on the little TL Jr than it was engineered to stand? To me, if there is any upgrade needed, having a single hole upsized to 7/8 x 14 to carry a carbide die for straight wall pistol cartridges would be about as big an alteration as would deserve serious consideration. The attraction of this press is its compact size, but the design also brings with it strength limitations. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
    Apparently there are others like me who think having changeable turrets is a good idea, as well as having the more modern 7/8-14 die threads than the 5/8 -8 threads, and still use the older press.
    Crazy idea that, eh?

Since it is likely you do not know that boring the holes out on the original turret from 5/8 -7/8 leave approx. 1/8 in. of metal on the outside rim, as well as thinning the support wings that extend out around each hole. By making the alum. turrets bigger in diameter, strengthens the turret to make up for the material removed from the cast turret.
    Pretty innovative idea there, huh?

Your post reminds me of the thinking of folks who, when folks decided to try to something to improve on, or modernize some idea, say something like, "It works fine, why change it?", or, even more like, "If a man was to have a self cocking automated firearm, it will likely have parts that will break a lot, so it will have to be made so heavy duty but then a single man couldn't fire it because to lighten it up would weaken it so much it will blow up in his hand.", or, Why make your own "whatever", when you can go buy it just about anywhere?", and thinking such as that...

Besides, why would you even post in a topic about something you think is a waste of time...Sheeesh..

Not my topic, but it seems like some folks in this forum feel the need to go into topics they (even admit) don't even care about, & stir up stuff or try to discourage others from talking about or doing something different and or innovative , when it really doesn't concern them one bit. They could just read & shake their head with their own thoughts & let it go... But..No..... gotta get in there & not add a bit to the topic, but detract & even detract trying to ridicule as well, instead of just moving on & leaving others to discuss things you think are not worth discussing or doing... Another Sheeesh...

I hope this is just a one time deal & you are just having an off day... May your day get better if that was the case... Otherwise, perhaps finding some topic that "Does" interest ya & where your input would be helpful, would be a great idea.

and JMHO & YMMV from me as well.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

I had a Truline Jr with one the 7/8"x14 turrets that used to be available on eBay several years ago.

It worked great loading 45 Colt. I'd probably loaded two to three thousand rounds with it. Nothing wrong with it and it did the job just fine. Using the 7/8"x14 turret and dies didn't put any additional strain on it that I ever noticed..

Eventually I sold it to a member here after I'd moved up to a T-Mag.

Sometimes wish I still had it. I used it with a powder through expanding die and an Acculine Pistol powder measure. It's foot print was tiny, it took up almost no space on my reloading bench. A small and simple setup to dedicate to your favorite straight walled pistol cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mwells72774 View Post
    I’m wanting to set one up solely for 38/357 carbide dies. The tru-line dies are pretty pricey
    I had the same idea when I went to get mine, but have since decided to use it for 45ACP, since I currently run only 230gr. TC & 2R in it, where as the rest of my handguns & rifles I run more & different kinds of boolits/bullets. Beside, since this JR. press is meant really to be "lighter duty", it would be a good one to have it set up to do just certain things like just taper crimping or the like. IOW, each hole having a different crimp station for different calibers. For example, maybe .380ACP 9MM, 40 cal, 45ACP, even 50AE in it & just rotating to the one you want to use when you are crimping as a separate press.

Not much different than me using a reversible cheap Lee C-press for depriming & to hold my powder measure, but can be turned upside down have a tube attached to it & then use it as an upside down sizing press. So, if ya don't mind sizing "right side up" with lee sizing dies, you could do that as well as long as you are not trying to size in too big of steps to reduce a boolit too much at one time, it should work fine for that as well.

BTW & besides... You did not have to explain your motivations to Green Frog, or anyone else, & it was kind of rude & disrespectful to ya when someone does question your motivations to do something to try to improve things or yourself & situation. Since what you are doing, or trying to do with Your press, in this case, does not affect them in any way, making it a "Nunya!", ( None of your business) to them . But , of course, you can do as ya like.

Hope you have a Great day as well!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    For those who might be interested...

Here are some pics of the turret before drilling & 2 after drilling:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0253.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	211139

Note the approx. 1/8th inch from the outer edge of turret with new threaded(tapped)holes after drilling using the old centers of the holes for position.

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	211140

You can also see from the factory that the holes were not true to the "support "wings", thus the larger holes add to that being centered in the old holes & reducing the "wings" sides towards the outsides. Also meaning that making Alum. turrets for the Lyman Jr. requires a larger diameter radius for strength, but the holes still must remain in the same location from center for it to work/line up with ram. Removing the "wings" & increasing the thickness of the new design would solve those issues.

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	211142

Posted for "educational purposes"...

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!