WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JES rebore to 358 win

Boolit Master

JES rebore to 358 win

I have a 7-08 Highpower match rifle that I want to re-bore to a cast friendly cartridge.

I would like some feedback from people that have a JES rebore to 358win. What Twist and how many groves did you get. Are there any options I should know about? Any thing you would do different?

I made a post about this about a year ago and decided to wait. Have not done much with the gun. I think it would be one of my favorite rifles in a 358win

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0310171847.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	210872

Here is a pic of the gun. It is in excellent condition but out dated. Im ready to get some use out of it

Boolit Buddy
    I had jes do one in .358 win. With 3 grove 1-14 twist. I shoot the noe clone 35-200fp. I have no complaints would not change a thing.

I think that your current cartridge/chamber is longer than the 358, because I think yours is based on the 8mm mauser,. I could be wrong though.... any one out there that can help him, and let me know if I am wrong? is the 7mm-08 a belted cartridge? I haven't ever had much interest in the smaller calibers, save the 22lr, 22mag, and hornet, so I cant remember the last time I read about the 7mm's. good luck!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    I think that your current cartridge/chamber is longer than the 358, because I think yours is based on the 8mm mauser,. I could be wrong though.... any one out there that can help him, and let me know if I am wrong? is the 7mm-08 a belted cartridge? I haven't ever had much interest in the smaller calibers, save the 22lr, 22mag, and hornet, so I cant remember the last time I read about the 7mm's. good luck!-Travis
    The 7mm-08 is just a 308 necked down to 7mm so it should work fine since the 358 is just a necked up 308.

oh, that's right, thanks for jogging the memory!

I remember you. I advised you not to change that target rifle. But now I'm thinking a .358 re bore of that rifle would be a neat cast boolit test platform. OkRebel the 7-08 is in the .243 to .358 family.(.308 Win based)

Boolit Master

Oh that's a good match rifle setup. You sure you want to change it's setup also?
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I just have no intrest in the 7-08. If I get competitive it would be in the Service rifle class. There is a 100yd match not far from me that may be fun with cast bullets. The larger caliber may make up for less accurate bullet.

In 358win as a cast bullet shooter the throat shoud last long after im gone. If not change to original magazine parts and chamber for 35 Wheelen. The feed ramp is really nice. I hope it keeps the lead bullet from being damaged.

I just need to decide what twist and which rifling I want. Im hoping for a good accurate load with a plain base bullet. Dont mind shooting GC bullets. A light load with the 27"bbl should be quite enough to use without hearing protection.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1514855600188-1771975933.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	210882

Here is a pic of the feed ramp. It takes up the difference in length of the 30-06 cartridge. I think there is enough room to load out to 2.9 maybe a little more.

Boolit Master
    Alright I seem to posting a lot tonight. I promis im not drunk!

Doing some research and thinking 1/11 or 1/12 twist. Im wanting to shoot heavy 250-310gr bullets. Since the velocity will be slower maybe the 1/11 twist would work

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    I had jes do one in .358 win. With 3 grove 1-14 twist. I shoot the noe clone 35-200fp. I have no complaints would not change a thing.
    I had the exact same thing done on a rem 700
    Its a great shooter
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

one thing is for sure, it sure is a pretty nice looking rifle! since it is a target rifle is it pretty heavy? are you going to be hunting with it too or just shooting paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I had the exact same thing done on a rem 700
    Its a great shooter
    Same here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I dont hunt. It will be used target shooting only. Nothing really official.

Boolit Master

Here is a Cast Boolit forum thread on that very question regarding barrel twist rate for a 358 Win caliber rifle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...st-for-358-Win
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I think the 358 would be neat and different for a match rifle, but you may want to check the sponsor's rules on caliber. Most go by NRA or CMP regs and a 358 may not correspond to their match. Hard to score as they used to use a 30 caliber guage for scoring close hits.

Some clubs more lenient, wouldn't care what is used as long as it's safe.

Wouldn't want you to spend the time an $$$ if you can't run it where you want.

Boolit Master
    Highpower rules allow up to 35 cal. Im not doing this to make a match rifle. Think of this as improving a practice rifle able to shoot cheap cast boolits out to 200yds.

Im considering 1/11 twist. Im wanting to shoot 250gr+ PB boolits at 1250-1500fps. The lower velocity will need a slightly faster twist.

I may try a 100yd only match for fun. Im not intrested in campaigning this rifle as 7-08 or 358.

I really just want to shoot this gun offhamd. I may try all the Highpower positions.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    Same with mine, a Marlin re-bore that shoots cast great, 100% satisfied with it using the same NOE version of the RCBS 35-200-FN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Highpower rules allow up to 35 cal. Im not doing this to make a match rifle. Think of this as improving a practice rifle able to shoot cheap cast boolits out to 200yds.

Im considering 1/11 twist. Im wanting to shoot 250gr+ PB boolits at 1250-1500fps. The lower velocity will need a slightly faster twist.

I may try a 100yd only match for fun. Im not intrested in campaigning this rifle as 7-08 or 358.

I really just want to shoot this gun offhamd. I may try all the Highpower positions.
    Not a 358, but i shoot the noe360009(358009 clone) at 280 gr. pb with 12 gr. of unique with no filler in my 1/14 twist 35 whelen encore.

Unweighed boolits go 1.5" and less @ 100 yds. Weighed boolits will clover leaf or stay 1" or less at the same range.
    Speed is 1275 fps. Shoots the same boolit with the same accuracy at 2200 fps. plus.

Haven't tried any 250 gr., but it will do just as well with 200 and 230 gr. boolits.
    Just letting you know the the 1/14 twist can handle the heavier boolits in 35 cal. just fine.

However, if your going to concentrate from 250 to 300 gr. boolits and lighter loads, i think your choice of 1/11 or 1/12 is a good one....also for heavy loads with the heavy weights.

I think you'll really like that re-bore for what your intending to do. Recoil with the 1275 fps. load is almost zero with that 280 gr. boolit, but still digs quite a hole in a red clay and gravel bank at the 100 yd. mark lol.

Good luck with your .358 project!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast