Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Rum Horn

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Rum Horn

After a long day at the range, it's time for a gill of rum.

Revolutionary War period.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00074 (2).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	210843

Name:	DSC00069 (2) - Copy.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	210844

Name:	DSC00071 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	210845

Name:	DSC00070 (2).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	210846
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Very cool, Ric - HAPPY NEW YEAR ! !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

WOW. I always find it amazing that these physical links back to our ForeBearers are still to be found outside the confines of "Thou Shalt Not Touch" museums. Thanks for sharing.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I'll drink to that!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A full gill is a generous measure! Royal Navy cup is a half gill (2.5 ozs.)

Attachment 210851Attachment 210852
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    WOW. I always find it amazing that these physical links back to our ForeBearers are still to be found outside the confines of "Thou Shalt Not Touch" museums. Thanks for sharing.
    I keep making them, as long as people keep buying them! I just finished this last Friday.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Really like your style. Can you do powder horns with Scots clan crests inscribed?

Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    Really like your style. Can you do powder horns with Scots clan crests inscribed?
    Most likely. I would need to take a look at the crest to be able to tell if I could do it well enough. Some have a lot of intricate detail.

Very Nice Waksupi! You do real nice work.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Grand Master

Ah Rick that brings back sad memories... About 30 years ago a friend gave us a batch of cow horns and we made one into a rum horn. My buddy scrimshawed the horn and I turned the spout from a hickory branch and used a fiddle peg for a cap. The nicest looking horn you ever saw, but no one told us it was from a DEAD cow. Nothing we tried could get the rancid taste from the horn! It would rot good liquor and gag a maggot. The powder horns came out al right though but the old flinter did puke them out a little quicker?

Yours is a beauty and I hope from a LIVE cow.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Ah Rick that brings back sad memories... About 30 years ago a friend gave us a batch of cow horns and we made one into a rum horn. My buddy scrimshawed the horn and I turned the spout from a hickory branch and used a fiddle peg for a cap. The nicest looking horn you ever saw, but no one told us it was from a DEAD cow. Nothing we tried could get the rancid taste from the horn! It would rot good liquor and gag a maggot. The powder horns came out al right though but the old flinter did puke them out a little quicker?

Yours is a beauty and I hope from a LIVE cow.

That sound delicious!
    I only use clean horns, I won't even use a stinky one on knife handles.
    I lined this and my cups with a food grade two part epoxy.

Boolit Buddy

Rick, Rum Cups are very popular at many of the Rendezvous I've attended over the years, but I can't rightly say I've ever seen any with that "button" on them before.
    Could that be because it is to fit between the fingers to support the Cup?
    I know I've seen a few in camp that were rather plain Jane with a bit of scribbling on 'em, and some were down right pleasing to the eye, but that little "knob", or "Button", or whatever it's called has piqued my interest.

Very Nice, IMO

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RBak View Post
    Rick, Rum Cups are very popular at many of the Rendezvous I've attended over the years, but I can't rightly say I've ever seen any with that "button" on them before.
    Could that be because it is to fit between the fingers to support the Cup?
    I know I've seen a few in camp that were rather plain Jane with a bit of scribbling on 'em, and some were down right pleasing to the eye, but that little "knob", or "Button", or whatever it's called has piqued my interest.

Very Nice, IMO

Russ...
    I don't think you have the right idea of what this is. It is a carrying container for liquid. Both ends plugged. The button you refer to is the "cork". This one is made from apple wood.

Nice ! very nice.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't think you have the right idea of what this is. It is a carrying container for liquid. Both ends plugged. The button you refer to is the "cork". This one is made from apple wood.
    Ric, you're absolutely right!
    I was thinking that was a fancy cup with a "finger hold", or some such nonsense had crept into my mind.
    Anyway, it is nice, even much nicer now that I know for sure what it is....silly old me!

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.