Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood peckers banging on house

Boolit Grand Master
    hang a fly stick over the hole. When the bird comes to enlarge it, it should get its feathers caught in the stick

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    hang a fly stick over the hole. When the bird comes to enlarge it, it should get its feathers caught in the stick
    Does the stick-em even work in the cold? And it's a bit late once the dang things have made a hole, is it not?

Had a wood-pecker drillin' one of the CCA treated posts on my deck a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure there were no burrowing insects in that old-school arsenate-treated post, but after 3 days of his annoying hammering at daybreak, he encountered a middle-aged woman in curlers and sleep deprived armed with a 12 gauge and #6 high brass.

I made a mental note not to arouse that woman early without good reason, and especially if that shot gun was at hand.

Old victor style mouse traps tacked to the side of the house with Pnut butter on the trigger. Sounds stupid and would never work, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Old victor style mouse traps tacked to the side of the house with Pnut butter on the trigger. Sounds stupid and would never work, but it does.
    Ingenious. Filed away for future use.

Boolit Master
    Male Flickers are always trying to excavate a nest hole to attract females, they also hammer away on anything hard that will make noise to attract females and to discourage other males from entering their territory. Sounds just like teenagers doesn't it. Since shooting them is illegal here and I live in town we put up a Flicker house made of cedar with just a tiny hole in the front and the male that was working on our siding went to work on the tiny hole and opened it up. He wasn't able to attract a female so when he quit working on the bird house we took it down, I will close the hole up and will put the house back up this spring when he comes back.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one beat on my house every morning for about 10-15 min. got tired of it and took my sons airsoft rifle which shoots hard pastic BBs and shot him, he flopped around on the ground for a few seconds and than flew off. its been a year and he has never come back.

Boolit Buddy

Our home is Cedar sided and we have occasionally had problems with Woodpeckers, has been about 6-7 years since it was bad. Ended up popping a few with a BB gun and then covering the holes with Canning Jar Inner Lids. That same year we had Gray Squirrels stuffing Acorns in the holes, popped a few of those too before I got the holes covered. I still see Woodpeckers & Squirrels but for some reason they leave the house alone.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12