Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 Winchester ADL Rem 700 Varmint

Boolit Master

.308 Winchester ADL Rem 700 Varmint

Have been using the Lyman 311672 and Red Dot Powder with CCI-200 primers in a 26" Rem 700 rifle. Using 13.0 grains I am getting ~ 1,700 FPS MV and Std Deviations of 8~9. Accuracy is 2~3" at 200 yards. As I shoot many different rifles with cast bullets, I am trying to get better accuracy. I used a 13.5 grain charge and the groups were in the 2~3 foot range. Apparently this bullet is very velocity sensitive. I am asking for some advice...perhaps using a lighter charge might do the trick..say in intervals of 0.2 grains (12.0/12.2/12.4/12.6/12.8). Or is such a small change in the powder charge futile? The nose of the 311672 is on the small side so it cannot "bore ride" as ot was designed to do. Bullets cast out at .3095" and I size to .309". The rifle is very accurate with jacketed bullets

Boolit Master

Wally:

I have the same rifle and have been shooting a variety of cast boolits in it, have not moved out to 200/300 yards with cast in it because I am not achieving 1 to 1.5 MOA in it consistently yet. Your 2 to 3" at 200 years would equate to approximately 1.5 MOA. My best grouping with mine has been with a similar boolit to yours, mine being an RCBS 165Sil boolit.

What is your lead alloy? What gas check are you using? What lube? What diameter does the nose (bore riding section?) measure on your as cast boolits?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

The .308 is inheritably a very accurate rifle. I once had a Remington 788. I never put a scope on it. I don't recall the load but it had a velocity of 2000 fps or more & the bullet was the Lyman 170 gr. FP designed for the .30-30. I got 1" groups at 100 yds. with it. Wow, I didn't think I could even shoot 1" groups with iron sights.

The .308 is inheritably a very accurate rifle. I once had a Remington 788 in .308 Win.. I never put a scope on it. I don't recall the load but it had a velocity of 2000 fps or more & the bullet was the Lyman 170 gr. FP designed for the .30-30. I got 1" groups at 100 yds. with it. Wow, I didn't think I could even shoot 1" groups with iron sights at that range.

Get a slower powder, 335, 4895, etc. I assume that is a GC mould design.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Wally:

I have the same rifle and have been shooting a variety of cast boolits in it, have not moved out to 200/300 yards with cast in it because I am not achieving 1 to 1.5 MOA in it consistently yet. Your 2 to 3" at 200 years would equate to approximately 1.5 MOA. My best grouping with mine has been with a similar boolit to yours, mine being an RCBS 165Sil boolit.

What is your lead alloy? What gas check are you using? What lube? What diameter does the nose (bore riding section?) measure on your as cast boolits?
    WW metal that I water dunk direct from the mold. GC are of aluminum and fit tightly. Lube is 50% Beeswax/50% wheel bearing grease. Nose diameter .297". Have tried an RCBS 180 SP-GC ..it has a .300" nose diameter and will bore ride, but doesn't offer any improvement in accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Get a slower powder, 335, 4895, etc. I assume that is a GC mould design.
    Yes, the bullet I am using a GC bullet...I prefer to use Red Dot for now.

try skipping the water drop, size them to .310"-.311", drop the charge down to 10.5-11gr
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Will do as soon as it warms up.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If you think the bore riding section is to small Erik Ohlen can open it up a little for you . It probably won't be so fussy after that modification .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    If you think the bore riding section is to small Erik Ohlen can open it up a little for you . It probably won't be so fussy after that modification .

Jack
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMETRIC View Post
    The .308 is inheritably a very accurate rifle. I once had a Remington 788. I never put a scope on it. I don't recall the load but it had a velocity of 2000 fps or more & the bullet was the Lyman 170 gr. FP designed for the .30-30. I got 1" groups at 100 yds. with it. Wow, I didn't think I could even shoot 1" groups with iron sights.
    I agree the .308 is accurate but the 788 didn't hurt either! I never had one in any caliber that wouldn't drive nails. Sorry for the hijack.

I used a 13.5 grain charge and the groups were in the 2~3 foot range. Apparently this bullet is very velocity sensitive. 13gr. is probably the best load (the load) for R.D. What is your alloy? IMHO, powder is too fast for alloy. I did a 3 shot 1 1/2 MOA once @ 200, not bad for a BDC scope sighted @100 on an AR10. But not with a fast powder.
    Whatever!

Did you do a pound slug of your chamber? What are your rifles measurements for the throat, bore groove and bore diameter? Your bullets don't fit your rifle. Get a mold that fits your rifle. RCBS makes great molds, if they fit your rifle. Other wise you might need to go the semi custom mold route.
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned

Wally on changing your powder charges I can tell you this. First I use Unique. You'll find the nodes of accuracy changing with the charge weight. Say you are in the bad area of a node and the charge is rather light. As you go up in small increments you will see your accuracy getting better and better as you proceed. Then it will start to get worse, then repeat itself. So yes changing your charge weights in small increments does often help. I'm talking of 1/10th to 2/10ths a grain change. Notice not a whole grain.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes, the bullet I am using a GC bullet...I prefer to use Red Dot for now.
    Change your powder:
    150 -156gr Bullet ... N-135 From 31.7 grains to 46.0 grains
    165 - 170gr Bullet ... N-550 From 40.7 grains to 48.9 grains
    You calculate the charge for the 160gr bullet or your Lyman #4 will identify the powder for best accuracy
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Hum 13 grs 2-3" at 200 and 13.5 grs 2-3 feet at 200 yards. It looks like you found out how much pressure is needed to slump that "skinny" nose with the alloy you are using. If you have a K31 I sure would try that bullet in it, just might be a good fit.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I use between 20 and 24 grains of 4227, often nose oriented
    Here is a 100 yard target with 311465 and 24 grains of 4227

Rem 700 BDL VT Special
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I have not done so....pushing a lead slug down the barrel of a rifle is not something that i care do do. I can appreciate what you are saying. Sized to .309" the bullet I am using is tight when introduced into the leade. I have used an RCBS 180 SP-GC and it doesn't offer any better accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Did you do a pound slug of your chamber? What are your rifles measurements for the throat, bore groove and bore diameter? Your bullets don't fit your rifle. Get a mold that fits your rifle. RCBS makes great molds, if they fit your rifle. Other wise you might need to go the semi custom mold route.

Boolit Master
    I have used Unique with many other rifle calibers. I switched to Red Dot/Promo when we had the powder drought. You have encouraged me to try small increment changes, for the reasons mentioned: as it would appear that it will help..Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Wally on changing your powder charges I can tell you this. First I use Unique. You'll find the nodes of accuracy changing with the charge weight. Say you are in the bad area of a node and the charge is rather light. As you go up in small increments you will see your accuracy getting better and better as you proceed. Then it will start to get worse, then repeat itself. So yes changing your charge weights in small increments does often help. I'm talking of 1/10th to 2/10ths a grain change. Notice not a whole grain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast