Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 44 spl moulds

Boolit Buddy

44 spl moulds

Would like to hear from anyone that has found a 200-210 grain boolit that they consider VERY accurate in the 44 spl. I have the 429421 and with 7-7.5 grains of unique it is a good all purpose load in my 44 spls. Just for the sake of less lead, powder and recoil, {ok,also for the pure fun and satisfaction of experimentation} I'd like to start loading and shooting a lighter boolit. This would be for an all day plinking load.

While my 429421 load is very accurate in both my S&W 624 and my 44 spl ruger flat top, after 30-40 rounds I've had all the fun I can stand. Therefore my quest for another adventure in casting and reloading land.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    Kirk

Boolit Grand Master

I have a group buy 200 gr. Wadcutter that works extremely well with 4.0-5.0 grs. Of Red Dot. It is extremely pleasant to shoot and easily groups under 1” off a rest at 25 yards.

FWIW,
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    I've had very good luck with the SAECO #420, a 200 grain plain base flat nose design and Bullseye powder. However, (and it may not be necessary with your gun or guns), I had my mould opened up by Erik Ohlen to cast .432" bullets. Originally, I believe the mould cast .430" ww alloy bullets, too small for the large chamber throats in my S&W 24s.

I also used to use the #429421 and 7 -7.5 grs. Unique. Very accurate, but a bit heavy on the recoil for much shooting. Also, ran out of rear sight adjustment with the heavy bullets. At twenty-five yards, most loads were 4" to 6" high with the rear sight all the way down. Lighter bullets solved that problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had great success with both the Lee 208 gr WC and their 200 gr RFN over Unique, Red Dot and Bullseye using listed load data. I probably shoot more of the 200 gr RFN than anything else for plinking loads.

Be well

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    From a standard production mould I found the Lee 214 gr. SWC, cast soft and loobed with the old Ideal loob to work very well. Taurus, Ubertti, Charter Arms all liked it.

I use a Magma 200 gr. Flat Point bullet for both my .44 revolvers and .44 rifles for just the reasons the OP mentions. Pleasant to shoot, accurate and more bullets per pound of alloy.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen...Thank you
    Lotech, You have described exactly what I had to do. Years ago, I had Erik Ohlen open My Lyman 429421 to .432 In order to get it to shoot accurately in my 624.
    What I should have mentioned, is that I will more than likely have to order a mold from one of the custom makers in order to get the .432-.433 dimensions.

All of your suggestions have been great and will be used. Should one of you have a particular model or design, from one of the custom mould builders, that would give me a solid start.

Again, thank you
    Kirk

Boolit Master
    Kirk Miller- Small world. Erik also opened my #429421 and #429244. The larger diameter bullets are certainly more accurate, but still shoot high and provide more recoil than I like. I'll stick with the 200 grain. Should be lots of suitable selections from the custom mould makers that meet your requirements.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 44/40 bullet--SAECO #446--casts fat enough to fit my 44 Magnum revolvers. These weigh 200 grains and shoot quite well. In 44 Special brass I use 6.0 grains of WW-231, in Magnum brass I use 7.0 grains of WW-231. Pretty docile when compared to the "Skeeter's Load" for 44 Special that was discussed above.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Tom at Accurate molds has a nice selection of 200gr 44's to choose from. You could always draw up you own design if you felt so inclined.
    http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=11
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    Those are all good suggestions.9.3x63Al, I had a saeco 446 and never could get more than .429 out of it so it went down the road. Waco thanks for the link. Looking on the Arsenal moulds web page, I believe that I will try their 210 grain wfn.
    then I can go from there.
    You guys are great. Thanks for your help and insight.
    Kirk

Here's a vote for Lyman's 429215gc...about 220 gr when cast from WW. Superbly accurate in my Rugers, Smiths, and a Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum. Win 231 does well with it at 1000 fps in both Special (3 Ruger .44 Spl Flat Tops, and a Smith M-24), and Magnum (Ruger 50th Flat Top, plus a Smith M-69, M-629, and a pair of M-29's). Less than 2" gps at 25 yds are no sweat with it, cast from WW's and sized 0.430" for the hand guns, and 0.432" for the Marlin. Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 01-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duster340 View Post
    I have had great success with both the Lee 208 gr WC and their 200 gr RFN over Unique, Red Dot and Bullseye using listed load data. I probably shoot more of the 200 gr RFN than anything else for plinking loads.

Be well
    The Lee wadcutter gets my vote for an accurate paper puncher. On top of 5grs of Bullseye it was very pleasant to shoot with the mild recoil. I could shoot 2-3 hundred rds on a single outing without any fatigue. Unfortunately I don't believe Lee still makes it.

Any of the thompson designs/gc 2 lube groove bullet bodies have always performed extremely well in the 44spl's.

If you're going to use a wc bullet get either a custom mold or a mold that cast reversible bullets turning the mold into a nose pore bullet/perfect base. A custom 175gr 44cal wc. It's designed so that you can use the same load in either 44spl or mag cases by simply turning the bullet around. Different crimp/nose sizes on each end of the bullet.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nose pour bullets are always extremely accurate. A 200gr nose pour 44cal wc cast from a cramer mold.
    [IMG][/IMG]

hbwc's are always the cat's meow, used a mihec 220gr hbwc in a 624 for target work for a couple of years. Mihec and now both sell hbwc molds for the 44cal's.

Clays is an excellent 44cal/target powder. 4.0gr/4.2gr and any 180gr to 220gr bullet in the 44spl or 6.0gr/6.5gr and 180gr to 220gr bullets in the 44mag.

Boolit Buddy
    Forrest r-I was hoping you'd weigh in. With your bullseye experience, I knew that you would have some more and varied insight.
    Thank you
    Kirk