WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 416 ruger imr4198 and rel-7 info

416 ruger imr4198 and rel-7 info

does anyone have load info or quickload info for loading 350gr and 400 gr cast bore riding boolits in the 416 ruger with imr 4198 and also reloader-7? in the newest lyman cast boolit book, they go from 5744 to 3031 in order of quickness in their load data, and only for 350gr rcbs boolits. since both powders I mentioned fall in between them, I figure a safe load can be had with both. I am looking to get 1800 to 2000fps, which is about what the other loads were listed for as start and max loads. so if anyone has any info I would appreciate it very much, thanks a lot, and happy new year!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    5744 is kinda known for reduced loads in big cases, your 2 powders are kinda fast burning and would be safe for reduced loads only and not loads approaching or near max.

I was thinking about the .416 Ruger also. I don't really need another gun but the temptation of a new toy is hard to resist. I was thinking the Ruger .416 might make a good CB rifle. Reloading data is limited since it is relatively new. Varaget seems like a good candidate.

yeah, I was going to go with 4895 or 4064, but I have almost a pound of 4198 and rel-7 each, and they are both downloaded quite commonly in other cartridges. also, they are both Slower than 5744, so I don't see why they couldn't be used, and the load they have in lyman for the 5744 is over 2100fps, so it isnt a heavily reduced load, like the first response said. both powders I mentioned are used in other big cases and cast boolits, I just need someone knowledgeable with those powders, or with quickload to look up those two loads. I like the idea of loading to basically 45-70 power loads, while having a bolt action repeater, that could also be loaded heavier if I ever get to go to Alaska, or maybe one of those exotic hunts in texas.

Boolit Master
    Looking through the Lyman cast bullet manual combined with 33 years of reloading experience I can only give you my personal opinion.

IMR-4198 and RL-7 seem to have burning rate(s) too fast for the large bottle neck .416 The only cartridges in that size range that list those powders are generally straight wall (or very near straight wall) which allow for rapid pressure drop compared to case capacity.

It seems "Quickload" or similar software may be your only hope. Good luck.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the 416 Rugers, but on the recommendation of another member here have been using 5744 for my cast loads. Haven't actually done much with the rifle in over a year though. With factory loads that thing is a thumper. What kind of elephants you got in OK?

The whole idea (at least for me) for cast bullets in the .416 is a rifle that is not overly powerful for deer & hogs but that can be loaded to higher levels should the need arise. There are reduced jacketed bullet loads for the .416 Ruger that will probably work.

yeah same here geo, in the lyman book they list both powders in the 375 ruger, and it is the same case, with a smaller neck, so you would think that the 416 would develop less pressure with the wider neck, which should mean that it would work ok in it as well, but hopefully someone who has quick load can help, I don't have the extra money to buy a computer program, I probably couldn't figure out how to use or install it anyways, lol-Travis

and you mentioned "straight, or very near straightwall cartridges, the 416 ruger has a very minimal neck, going from an O.D. of .515 to.444 at the mouth,but that's alright, I am just going to hope someone nice enough to check quickloads for the 2 powders, 350gr boolits @ 1800-2000fps.

is the 416 Remington close enough if I backed the loads off to start with? tthey have about the same neck, but they do have more volume, which I could look up, then figure out how much I should back off. is this bad idea?

Boolit Mold
    I havent loaded my 350gr gc fron rcbs mould yet but going to use 416Talyor load dara to start with as its only 2.0cc smaller than 416ruger capacity and very similar case

Also interested in 375ruger data for 325gr gc cast pills also as have the pair in Ruger Alaskan
    If you don't hunt, you wont understand

In Remembrance

One of the most accurate loads I`ve shot thru my .416 Taylor is a 5 shot group at 100 yds. and measured 1 1/2" using the RCBS 350 gr. mold and a load of 50 gr. of IMR 3031 with a mag. primer. This was shot thru MY rifle and should not be construed as a load to be used by you in your rifle.Robert

thanks a lot, I ended up going with my long waited for dream gun, the ruger super Blackhawk bisley hunter, and am really loving it! thank you for all your help though, I learn a lot talking to you! you shoot any handguns/ revolvers?