Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bee vandalism

Boolit Master

Bee vandalism

I bet theses vandals have no clue how valuable Bees are tho the whole ecosystem! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Vandals destroy 50 beehives in Iowa, killing at least 500,000 bees

SIOUX CITY, Iowa -- The future of a honey business in Sioux Falls, Iowa, is uncertain after vandals destroyed dozens of their beehives, CBS affiliate KMEG reports. The owners of Wild Hill Honey said they discovered that 50 beehives were destroyed when they went to clear off snow on Thursday.

The owner, Justin Engelhardt, told KMEG that the incident basically wipes out his business and that it will be impossible to recover from. He said that thousands of bees died from vandalism.

"I knew it was going to be bad we went around the shed every hive was knocked over, dead bees in the snow, it was terrible," Englehardt said, adding that the couple's shed was also damaged in the incident. He said a window was broken and the lock was damaged.

Engelhardt said there was a security camera installed but it stolen during the incident. Police told the station they discovered fingerprints at the scene and an investigation is ongoing.

Engelhardt told The Associated Press that at least 500,000 bees were killed in the incident, and that the estimated cost of damage was between $50,000 and $60,000.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Sad situation....I understand that folks hate what they fear but this is way off the reservation in response to said fear.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I saw this on my local news and can't imagine what the heck those vandals were thinking. Hopefully they catch the fools who did this and give them more than a slap on the wrist.

Boolit Master

it was probably someone else local also in the bee business.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    it was probably someone else local also in the bee business.
    I would hope not. If true, they will soon be in the license plate making business.

Boolit Master
    Or someone with a personal vendetta agains the business owner.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Or someone with a personal vendetta agains the business owner.
    I agree.
    Usually vandalism is a crime of opportunity when miscreants have nothing better to do.
    there is a video at this link
    http://whotv.com/2017/12/29/vandals-...g-500000-bees/
    This appears to be a farm off the beaten track...You'd have to want to go there to do damage, I can't imagine anyone was just wandering by and randomly vandalize these hives and shed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Vandalism with only the intention to make others suffer is an act of pure evil . Many times the vandals don't even know who they are hurting . Pure evil ...sick .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Inside job.....................
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

That just makes me angry. Do these idiots know how important the bees are to our food system? I have only 5 hives and lost 2 of them this year by white moths. Just to replace the bees for these two hives is going to cost me over $400 , if I can find them. The local bee supplier has raised the cost of a nuc to $222. I have been in my shop with no heat in these cold temps trying to build 5 more hives and get them in place before spring. That will cost over $1000. just for the bees not to mention the cost of lumber to build them. It had to be someone that knows the beekeeper to do something like that. I hope they catch them. Maybe let the beekeeper have the first punch, or worse.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Don't underestimate PETA and friends. I have read their claims that using honey is theft and beekeepers are "extorting" and "exploiting" bees. Destroy the business and you stop the "extortion". There was an animal research facility at Michigan State University that was destroyed a number of years back using that logic.

I think they called themselves the Animal Liberation Front--ALF.

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    That just makes me angry. Do these idiots know how important the bees are to our food system?
    In all the world, this loss is meaningless in the big picture. It's okay. There's enough bees to go around.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking peta too.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Don't underestimate PETA and friends. I have read their claims that using honey is theft and beekeepers are "extorting" and "exploiting" bees. Destroy the business and you stop the "extortion". There was an animal research facility at Michigan State University that was destroyed a number of years back using that logic.

I think they called themselves the Animal Liberation Front--ALF.
    I honestly would have a hard time believing peta would have activity in IA or MN...it just doesn't happen here.

So I went to google and did a quick search of "peta SIOUX CITY IA"

Peta helped wanted adds in local paper
    https://www.helpwanted.com/422a51155...r-job-listings

Peta plans billboard campaign saying, "Bird Flu: The writing is on the wall. Go Vegan"
    http://www.siouxlandproud.com/news/l...-flu/163907567

Peta Demands 10 foot tall Memorial for turkeys killed in truck crash
    http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/loc...e36ae5d15.html

So, I guess I was wrong, peta is active here in flyover country
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Daddy never taught them what was good and what was bad, if they even had a daddy!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Don't come down so hard on PETA. A bunch of us guys around these parts here are very supportive of PETA. However our version is "People Eating Tasty Animals" !!!

I used to raise bees, only had a few hives. It's expensive and a lot of work. I just wish the vandals had done this in the summer, they'd been stung bad and gotten their due punishment. I sure hope they get those guys. That's a huge loss for the beekeeper that he'll never recover.

Boolit Grand Master
    Might be kids with nothing else to do.
    We had a mass killing of migratory birds, nest, and chicks killed off by some collage kids.
    One graduated from punahou, so just got a light slap on the wrist.
    Don't know if it's still the case, but Bee's have been under attack by some kind of mite.
    It's killing whole hives off at a time.
    Because we're isolated, our bee's didn't have it.
    There are a bunch of bee keepers here that make a good living selling Queen bee's.
    We still don't have the mite or the African Bee's here.
    When a bee hive is found, and needs to be removed, they don't kill them.
    They relocate them to a bee farm.
    Without bee's, we'll have no fruits or flowers.

Boolit Master
    About two months ago a large truck was hauling over a million bees north on I-5 to pollinate groups when it was involved in an accident, caught fire and burned. All the bees were killed.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I have an aversion to bee's otherwise I might set up some hives out on my friends acreage just because we need to raise more bee's here in the US. I read that a partial solution for the mite problem is to buy Russia queens. They are not totally immune to mites but they are in the 60% range of immunity. Ibunaitoo's post reminded me of a before and after pictures of a supermarket produce department. The before pic showed that all the bins a selves were full and the after pic showed about 50 to 60 percent of the produce was gone. Scary.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would love to have some hives if it wasn't for the fact I am allergic to the stings!! Love seeing the bees working when the fruit trees are in bloom. I usually hear them before I see them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast