Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester M73 Repo's

Boolit Mold
    Well, the only two entities producing 1873 replicas are Uberti and Miroku (the firearms manufacturer in Japan that makes these for Winchester). There are pro's and con's for both. You'll find the Miroku to be a superior product in terms of quality of manufacturing. I have examples of Winchester '66's and '73's from both concerns, and the Uberti rifles required a LOT more work to tune up and were more likely to have small flaws, burred internals, and left-over machine swarf inside. HOWEVER, the Uberti guns are more authentically constructed. Miroku re-engineered their toggle link rifles, and one can honestly say that these engineering changes included some improvements. But they did change the shape and contours of some of the internals, and purists don't like this. The Miroku lever throw is a bit shorter than a stock Uberti. It isn't much, but is shorter than an original Winchester as well, and that was enough to disqualify them for NCOWS. So if you plan on doing any cowboy action shooting with a Miroku, you'll have to stick to SASS.

Uberti offers much more variety than Miroku, and more calibers also. Miroku started out their '73 production with .38/357 only, followed by .44-40 the next year and eventually offering .45 Colt. They did the same with their '66, but they're long overdue for a .45 Colt in that rifle. I'm beginning to doubt that they'll ever include .45 Colt in their '66.

Prices are a little lower on Uberti rifles, but street prices are very close--close enough that the higher quality of Miroku construction more than accounts for that. Miroku rifles should cost more than they do, in my opinion.

Regardless, although it took a lot of work to tune up my Uberti rifles, now that I've gotten them tuned and slicked up to my satisfaction, I've actually begun to prefer them to my Miroku rifles a bit. My tune-up jobs turned out a little better on the Uberti rifles, which I attribute to their needing a more thorough job done to them. So much about them was rough that everything on them got some work, whereas I left a lot of stuff alone on my Miroku rifles. Consequently, the Uberti ones ended up a bit lighter and smoother to operate than my Miroku rifles, even though the Miroku rifles were much smoother out-of-the-box than my Uberti rifles. And I also prefer Uberti's more authentic construction.

Good luck on your decision. If you choose a Uberti '73, and you don't know how to slick it up yourself, set aside about $300 and send it off to one of the many outfits that specialize in tuning them. The end result will be a fantastic rifle!

Boolit Master

A buddy and I both picked up Uberti 1873s. He got the 18” checkered straight grip and I got the 16”
    You cannot beat these rifles for fit and finish. Flawless.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-13-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Super Moderator

................As it turned out, the two M73's at the local Pawn Shop (AKA 'Gun Store) were both 38/357. A week or so passed so I drove over to Turners Outdoors and they also had a Uberti M73, but it was a carbine and also chambered 357, priced at $1099. Then drove to Bass Pro. Asked one of the counter guys about a Uberti M73, and he got that deer in the headlights look. Began typing into his computer. He was surprised that they could get one, but none of their stores sowed any in inventory, and none in their warehouse. He said if he ordered one he didn't have any idea when they'd get it. He said he would order one if I wanted to, and it would be $1179.

So I went back to the local Pawn shop, and asked they could order one for me (They're a stocking Uberti dealer). So the owner got on the computer did some figuring and then said that he could get one for me for $1079. With tax and DROS fee all in it'll be $1201. All I have to do now is patiently wait for their e-mail. They know to e-mail me and NOT call, as SWMBO might overhear. When I get it I'll have to post a couple photo's. Should fit in with the family.

Rossi 1892 x 45 Colt

Miroku 1892 x 45 Colt

Rossi 1892 x 357

Marlin 1893 x 38-55

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to seeing your new rifle, there's something special about the 1873. Even though I mostly collect the original Winchesters the Miroku and Uberti versions always catch my eye.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Uberti with the 30-inch barrel in .45 Colt that I use for Cowboy Action Shooting. I put on a Marbles tang sight. It is accurate to 100 yards, if I do my job. Obviously, the 1873 is not a magnum strength action and this is for low-range, cast bullet loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12