WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester M73 Repo's

Super Moderator

Winchester M73 Repo's

...............I'm seriously thinking of getting myself a Uberti repro of the Win 1873 full length rifle in 45 Colt. Any remarks to be made from those out there with facts and opinions, or apocryphal info, good or bad.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Buckshot, get on over to WinterRange at Ben Avery in Phoenix, February 18 - 25. See those guns in action, and get real opinions. www.winterrange.com. Only 6 weeks away.

I owned one with a shorter barrel when I shot cas. It was beautifully made and shot extremely well. I loaded with triple seven and a 250 grain bullet. I would buy another again in a new York minute. I never had any trouble whatsoever with that rifle. In my opinion, Uberti makes the finest reproduction firearms available.

Boolit Buddy

I have one of the Winchester/Miroku 1873s. Mine is a 16” 357. I haven’t shot it much yet, but I have never seen a more beautiful levergun. Buds has some at good prices, CDNN has a bunch of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F29624C2-406E-4610-8AFA-0C83D2D68E4C.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	210885

My late friend shot one for years in CAS and loved it. He was also a bench rest shooter and he said that Uberti .45 Colt barrel as as smooth as he'd seen. I shot it some and it was almost hard to miss with it. Buy with confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've been thinking about one of those Win/Miroku 73 trappers. One of the things i like most about them is that the front sight is actually correct - instead of those that have the sight integral to the barrel band.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Buckshot - I've had a Uberti Short Rifle (20" BBL) for many years now and it has proven to be "ultra" reliable and accurate. Mine is in a .45 Colt, which to me (biased opinion), is the very best of calibers in the Uberti for hunting or target shooting. Buy with confidence; you will not have "buyer remorse"!

Super Moderator

..............Appreciate, the responses to my question. A local shop has had 2 1873's and a 1876 on the wall for close to a year. Thought I'd suggest if they gave me a good deal I'd take one of the 73's off their hands.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Buckshot
    Good to read you are looking to keep on shooting something. I get the willy's when I see fellers selling off their accumulated prizes.

Anyone seen any of the old "Santa Fe" 1873 models floating around ?
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot

I shot the Uberti rifles and carbine M1873s quite a bit in 357 and 45 Colt. My own is a carbine (20" barrel) with the full octagon barrel. It holds 10 rounds. I also put the gen III speed linkage in it. It is a very good rifle.

Attachment 210954

If you get over this way give me a shout, we'll have coffee, go shooting or both.........
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-03-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

When I saw your title, I thought; Wow, a source of reasonably priced, high quality lever guns.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Uberti sporting rifle with the 1/2 mag for about a year, 24" barrel. I mostly shot 200grn bullets with enough Hs6 to get 1300fps. It was a great shooter and a joy to look at but heavy. If I one day get another it will have a 20" barrel.

Boolit Master
    I'd look for one without the cresent buttplate. jmhi

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two Uberti’s and still own one. I added the short stroke kits to be more competitive but they are not really needed for a fun gun. Both were accurate and very fast...10 shots on a CAS target in less than 6 seconds. I shot 38’s in the .357’s.

The only downside is they eject brass on top of your head. Not a problem if you wear a brimmed hat. Interesting if a well endowed woman shoots one without a hat and a becoming blouse.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I've been thinking about one of those Win/Miroku 73 trappers. One of the things i like most about them is that the front sight is actually correct - instead of those that have the sight integral to the barrel band.
    A couple more pics for you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62A90D98-0FDE-4B29-9AD8-A3A87BDD8F13.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	210996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7D84F9F-C9DD-4487-A353-FF6CF267DE0D.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	210997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	720DFDEE-8944-4CBC-8FFB-8ECAE5934BD0.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	210998

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a 66 and a 73 by Uberti. Both are tricked up a bit for CAS. I like the 66 a bit better, as it doesn't have the lever safety like the 73 and I find it to be a bit smoother because of it. But both guns are very nice. My 73 has nicer wood than the 66. Do see any sense in going with the Japanese Winchester for a whole lot more money.

Boolit Master

I've got a 73 Uberti and I love it. .45 colt. Have the 73 Cattleman revolver in .45 colt to go with it. Good accuracy and dependable, but it is heavy. But then again, you don't feel much recoil with factory duplication loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............Appreciate, the responses to my question. A local shop has had 2 1873's and a 1876 on the wall for close to a year. Thought I'd suggest if they gave me a good deal I'd take one of the 73's off their hands.

..............Buckshot
    I hope you already bagged it -- I've been shooting Cowboy Action since 2002; and you can't go wrong with the Uberti's. Lots of peeps out there making them replicas, and I say you can't barely make a bad one. As long as the barrel is straight, you can fix just about anything else on it. If it was me; I'd be looking for another one with a case-harded / marbly blue look. I've had yellow boys (brass), and they can't hold up to the punishment of thousands of rounds we put them through in competition. Mine is .357 caliber now (shooting .38/.357 is much more economical and easier on the shoulder too) simple blued, and wish it was case-hardened. I'd do that chimpanzee dance staring at it for sure!

Enjoy your '73!!
    SpadeAce
    Adam Dasuqi
    AZ Cowboy Action shooter

If it's worth anything; I'll pick it up from the range lol

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Buckshot, get on over to WinterRange at Ben Avery in Phoenix, February 18 - 25. See those guns in action, and get real opinions. www.winterrange.com. Only 6 weeks away.
    I'll see ya there, Marlin39a. I live about 20 mins away from Ben Avery; and if not shooting WinterRange; I almost always visit!
    SpadeAce
    Adam Dasuqi
    AZ Cowboy Action shooter

If it's worth anything; I'll pick it up from the range lol

Boolit Master

I shot a UBERTI '73 RIFLE in SASS from 1990-2015. In .44WCF. They didn't come out with the .45Colt chambering until about 1994. Bought a carbine in 1992 in .44WCF, both guns shot and ran FINE right out of the box. Bought an 1866 UBERTI Carbine in .45Colt in '95, it also shot and ran FINE right out of the box. But you have to watch O.A.L. Those 66/73 actions are designed for factory cartridge length. Doesn't matter where the crimp groove on the bullet might be.

All 3 guns running strong and true. 25,000rds through the '73 rifle, nothing but normal cleaning and annual teardown.

I wouldn't hesitate to by another UBERTI. The Japanese copies are well made, I've had a 1892 .44mag for 40yrs. It runs well too.
    Last edited by Walks; 01-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast