Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardness 'required' for 40S&W

Boolit Buddy

I use the same mold but my alloy is 13-14 BHN. I have loaded these to 1210 fps using 3n37 in a g35 with zero issues. I think in the case of this bullet and cartridge the powder coating gives us a lot broader range. The glock has a 1-9.84 twist so I would think you could get close to this with your alloy in the AET with a bit slower powder.

How much hotter are you wanting to run if you are already making PF? Maybe going for bowling pins?

Good luck

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BHill View Post
    I use the same mold but my alloy is 13-14 BHN. I have loaded these to 1210 fps using 3n37 in a g35 with zero issues. I think in the case of this bullet and cartridge the powder coating gives us a lot broader range. The glock has a 1-9.84 twist so I would think you could get close to this with your alloy in the AET with a bit slower powder.

How much hotter are you wanting to run if you are already making PF? Maybe going for bowling pins?

Good luck
    Thanks for that. Yes I think also that something slower like WSF with the 200gr projectile might be worth a try. I need to be at 175 PF for a safe margin.

Thanks to the others who contributed to this thread also.

Attachment 210915 Just Pb, 0.5%Cu, 0.5%Zn. 4.5gr 231 under Lee 175TC (~171 PF, dropped 180gr). Big problem with soft is size - no spring back. Add some Zn, it's a hardener. These were not PCd, sized small. PC solved problem.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Attachment 210915 Just Pb, 0.5%Cu, 0.5%Zn. 4.5gr 231 under Lee 175TC (~171 PF, dropped 180gr). Big problem with soft is size - no spring back. Add some Zn, it's a hardener. These were not PCd, sized small. PC solved problem.
    Interesting. Thank's for that. I'll be trying harder alloys to see if that helps.

Most of my 40 stuff is 40 minor, so range scrap works fine. If I were running full power loads, water dropping them works fine. BTW, I use the same Lyman mold, very good shooter.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

rotometals or brownells sells antimony ingots or nuggets

I added some to some soft lead, with some tin to get the hardness up

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

I use reclaimed lead shot from the local trap and skeet range. Sometimes I add an ounce or two of solder for "fillout" but most of the time I simply cast at 675 or 700F and get perfect fillout anyway. I use HF red PC. My max average string for 180g 40 S&W has been 1064 fps (191 PF) but with 9mm, I've pushed the bullets over 1200 fps and well into the 30k psi range with no ill effects.

Boolit Mold
    I think an important question when it comes to 40 S&W is what gun are you shooting? If it's a Glock and you haven't replaced the original barrel, lead bullets are going to be a problem. The Glock polygonal rifling doesn't handle either cast lead or copper plated bullets very well. When I was shooting IPSC with a Glock 35, I had to use either jacketed bullets or, if I wanted to shoot cast or plated, a Lone Wolf barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12