Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breaking hogs from killing chickens.

Boolit Grand Master
    An owl can scare the **** out of you ar night.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I wouldn't want to be the guy who messed with an injured owl. If it didn't tear you limb from limb (which it probably would), they are protected on all kinds of levels and the feds would have you paying fines for the rest of your life.
    There are two more reasons, and that makes three.

I was once standing in a hedgerow in the last minutes of evening light, hoping for a deer, and an owl came and flew four times around me in total silence, ten feet away. He thought I was a treestump, and I am very glad he didn't imagine something roosting in the ivy. Thank goodness for my belief that foliage printed camouflage is invisible to a deer.

I also know a man who runs a falconry centre, who told me all the birds of prey are a bit like airborne sharks, with phenomenal senses, but morons compared with a crow or a parrot. They do quite a bit of rescue work, and he said Harry Potter was a bad break for owls. People with no knowledge of the subject used to acquire them, legally or illegally. But when they didn't bond with the owner or bring letters, they ended up in the cupboard under the stairs 24/7.

Banned

We have one owl that hangs around close to the place and we see him commonly. I have a bad enough problems with mice and field rats getting in my shop that I wish he'd be a little more diligent in his activities though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    After owls invaded my deer blind a few years ago it opened my mind to why people might not like them. We elected to leave them alone and let them leave when the little one was ready but OMG they’re foul nasty animals. These were big ‘uns, wingspan of about three feet and accordingly sized droppings. The entire floor of a 4x8 blind was covered with whatever they dropped and regurgitated. Prior to that I thought that they were pretty cool birds. Not so much any more.
    I can imagine the mess. We have a 4X8 elevated enclosed and roofed deer stand on our lease that was taken over as a nest site by Black Vultures. Just think of what a mess that was.

Boolit Master

I always built my stands as tight encloser as I could.Never had any problem with unwanted animals or birds.I never had buzzards to roost on the top either.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

La boucherie.....after that , they don't kill nothing.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Somebody mentioned electric fences and their use, etc., my bro-in-law last spring/summer had raccoons eating up and literally tearing down his garden corn patch. He tried regular cattle electric fence around the corn to no effect. So he hooked up one 110 volt hot wire around the corn. Next morning he had several dead raccoons to deal with. Have to think some things through. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 01-05-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: correction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12