Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Metal-matic rebuild

Metal-matic rebuild

Hey hey fellas. I stumbled upon an old Metal-matic P200 at an auction that had been sitting for years. Poor thing was locked up tight with rust, but for $15.00 I just had to bring it home with me. Of course I forgot to take any before pictures though. In short order I got all the parts freed up and broke it down. All the steel parts got shined up and blued nice and pretty. Now I’ve got the aluminum tool head and base that have a baked on metal flake paint on it. A good deal of the paint flakes right off with a razor scraper but then about 20% is still on there good or in unscrapable nooks and crannies. I don’t want to get too aggressive with it since it’s aluminum.
    What would be a good chemical remover that will pull off the baked on paint and won’t damage the aluminum?
    Any opinions on what would be a good durable paint to put back on it?

Moderator Emeritus

Acetone may dissolve the paint and shouldn't hurt aluminum...

To refinish I would powder coat it...

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day , nice find google Ponsness Warren and contact Sue Riddle ( manager) all parts are available and she is quick to reply and their service is exceptional , the P200 is available new from them as they have started producing it again due to demand , I run one and have bought 4 spare turret heads and various spares from them the best item is the primer tube set up .

Regards Paul .

Thanks MaryB I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder if my shake and bake method will coat the aluminum...

Howdy from up top! Yeah I checked their site and wow are they proud of their parts. But it looks like I’m falling in love with this thing because I just found out there is a swager attachment. So it looks like this will end up being my dedicated 223 and 308 press
    I can seem to find a video of the primer pick up system though. That’s my one hold up is the slow priming on the press

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder

G'day , send me an email and I will attach pic's of my setup including their primer system as it is to hard to upload many pic's to the site ( I am old and computer challenged ) paulbertram@live.com.au

Regards Paul .

Thad be great Paul thanks for your help!!! I’ll shoot you an email later today.

Btw acetone worked remarkably on removing that old baked on paint!

The paint finish on those machines is Hammertone Black or dark gray.

Rustoleum has a color that is close to the PW color and they all work great. I have used them extensively on Jeep wheels and the paint holds up very well unless you run them into rocks. You shouldn't have that problem with a Reloading Press.

Available at any big box store, and nobody says you have to use the exact came color on the press. It's a rebuild done by you and it is completely OK if you deviate a little on the color.

I did a RCBS Press for my Son and used Rustoleum Emerald Green Hammertone directly over the RCBS Crackle Finish Green. It came out very nice!!!!! in the sun it will knock your eyes out!!!

I also did a Lachmiller Shotshell Resizer in Light Blue Metallic Hammertone which came out good.

Use your imagination.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

If you don't care about color appliance epoxy is really tough stuff and quite a few colors now.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Acetone may dissolve the paint and shouldn't hurt aluminum...

To refinish I would powder coat it...
    You can try using what they use to removepaint in the aircraft industry... Methyl Ethyl Ketone, aka: MEK.