Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Who makes a short starter with bore protector guide

Boolit Master

Exclamation Who makes a short starter with bore protector guide

Years ago I had a short starter with a bore guide on it. It was a wood ball with a metal long rod that had a permanently attached bore guide on it. It was for .50 caliber. Naturally I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can buy another? Thanks.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    I have a custom short starter made by a retired machinist that has a bore protector on it. I also had him drill a 1/2" hole in it to work as a palm saver. He also made me a couple of custom punches and a ram rod. His prices were exceptionally reasonable.

Boolit Master
    Rodwha,
    Thanks very much. I think I may be making my own.
    Bob

[B][/FOUND ONE. BH TOOL COMPANY NORTH BEND, OR. THERE ARE A FEW SO GET THE RIGHT ONE.B]
    Last edited by Buzzard II; 12-30-2017 at 10:01 PM.

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Something about the things we can make that make them special.

Boolit Master
    Try Log Cabin shop. If I remember right that's where mine came from and it has a spring that goes above the bore guide to keep the wooden ball from striking it. When you drive the ball down.

Boolit Master
    TC used to sell those short starters with the brass muzzle guide.....I have one somewhere.

Boolit Master
    SpinJag makes one. Quality product also. Different tips for different bullet profiles.

Bob, The short starter you referred to may have been made by Forster, but I don't think they still offer it: excellent piece of equipment though.

Boolit Master
    Maven, you are probably right about Forster short starters. Rodwha, Your starter looks great, nice to have a one-off item. Rick Hodges, T/C is long gone and their prices are now collectable. NSB, I was looking for something more like BH Tool Co. It looks like the only store bought short starter I like, that is available, ala cart, is from BH Tool Co. A bit pricey, but it looks like high quality. Thanks to all!
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    As I recall Treso once made such short starters. I still have one. Given some thought I believe I bought mine off EBay.

Boolit Master
    Log cabin shop still makes them. They call it the premium ball starter it will fit .40 cal and larger. I think the price was 10.50 + s/h.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Log cabin shop still makes them. They call it the premium ball starter it will fit .40 cal and larger. I think the price was 10.50 + s/h.
    1Hawkeye,
    That looks like what I want. Thanks very much!
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

The Short starter would be a fun project to make. A piece of nice hardwood for the handle some brass tubing and a couple seater ends. Form the handle in a ball or other comfortable shape. Mine is a tee type handle larger ends and center. the longer rod is in the center of this handle forming the tee. I turned this up on the wood lather but it could as easily be carved by hand. The starter is on the one end. Materials can be purchased online and your imagination is the limit here.

Wood Crafters can supply some very nice hard woods both domestic and exotic. I have gotten ebony, olive, purple heart, walnut, maple, and many others from them. Online metals specializes in small orders of metals, they have brass tubing in various ODs, wall thicknesses, and IDs ( a combination of OD and wall thickness). The compression ring froma compression fitting makes a good bore protector if one can be found in the right size or even a thick o-ring works.

Making your own is a fun project and you can make what fits and feels good in your hand. I like my tee handle version a lot it gives a good solid grip to start a ball or bullet and the handle protects from pinched banged fingers.

Banned

i don't use or need a short starter, but i keep a standard brass muzzle protector on the the rod of one of my .54 rifles ...

Boolit Bub
    Bob, you'll be disappointed with that starter from Log Cabin. The pic on their website is obsolete. They don't come with the guide anymore. It has a pick built in the end of the starter. You have to unscrew the tip. The tips aren't for round ball either, looks like they are for conical bullets. It's an RMC #ML005. Well built, but not what I was looking for either. Joe
    Last edited by Regular Joe; 01-11-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Regular Joe,
    Thanks for the info
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER