Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me on the newer Rem 700's?

Boolit Master

School me on the newer Rem 700's?

My son in law gave me 300 rounds of 22-250 for Xmas that came from a house clean out he did. Got me thinking that a 22-250 might not be a bad idea if it had a fast enough twist. I'm thinking 1-9" should handle up to the 75-77 grainers. But I need a longer COAL to really use the longer bullets. I see the Remington 700s in several flavors chambered in 22-250 as well as 243 and 308. Are the actions and magazines of all of these the same length? Or, would I need to buy a .243 or .308 and re-barrel it to be able to use cartridges in the 2.70 to 2.80 OAL range?

The actions are the same length as are the mag boxes.

the long bullets often take a longer mag well. The only way to get that is with a long action rebarreled to your cartridge. Or just load the long cartridges one at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    Your better bet would be a Savage . My internal mag will allow me to seat out as far as i want.
    Domari Nolo

Check the twist on the 700,22-250

Boolit Master
    All the 700's I've seen list the twist as 1-14", The 300 rounds I have are 55 grainers so my thought was I'd do some shooting before re-barreling to 1-9".

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    700SPS models have a 1:9 twist for 223 and 243 IIRC; As does the 783 in at least .223

Banned
    I don't get the facination with shooting heavy bullets in 223s and 22-250s. A 55 grain bullet will kill anything you should be shooting with a 22 caliber rifle. Why in the heck would anyone hunt big game with a 22 when there are so many better & humane choices ? 22s are not 1000 yard rifles either.

Looks like more of the "I can do it" syndrome in spite of all the better choices for big game/long range target, even for the recoil sensitive.

If you cannot handle a 6mm/6.5mm CM or a 6.5 Grendel ------ well ????

As for the newer 700s, they're the same as the older 700s. Decent rifles at a fair price, with great popularity. With X Bolts and Tikkas out there, I'd never buy one.

Boolit Master
    The problem with light bullets is wind drift. I don't care much about shooting bug hole groups at 100 yards, I care about staying under 3" or so at 400 yards consistently. I've been a fan of higher SD for years, starting with the 6.5x55 which I still use for deer. I shoot primarily 77 grainers in the .223, (except for 3 gun stuff which is all inside of 100 yards around here so I use cheaper 55 grainers for that). 140 grainers in the 6.5x55, 175 grainers in 7mm for elk with good success and I'd like to use the 69 to 77 grainers for winter coyotes where shots are often 300 yards or more with winds averaging 10 to 20 mph. A 1-9" twist 22-250 seems like it would work. Tikka's are great rifles, and my elk rifle is built on one. However, they are all long actions, far longer than I would need for a 22-250, and I have to move my head to cycle the action, (or the bolt hits me in the nose). In my mind the primary advantage of the 700s is the much wider availability of stocks, barrels, triggers and mounts along with the fact that nearly every smith is set up to deal with them.

Banned
    For Yotes you have a point (sorta) but a 6mm CM is a far better Yote gun.

Tikkas are not all long bolt throw actions. Their 308 family has just as short a bolt throw as a 700 SA by use of a bolt stop as pre 64 70s had. They also use a different (shorter) magazine than the 06' family rifles.

Insofar as I know the only maker with really short actions is SAKO. They make an extra short for 222 & 223.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
    I don't get the facination with shooting heavy bullets in 223s and 22-250s. A 55 grain bullet will kill anything you should be shooting with a 22 caliber rifle. Why in the heck would anyone hunt big game with a 22 when there are so many better & humane choices ? 22s are not 1000 yard rifles either.
    I tend to think along these lines myself. I generally look for a bit slower twist rate and shoot a bit lighter bullets at higher velocity. If I want a heavier bullet, then I reach for a larger caliber.

But, this is for hunting applications with jacketed bullets. Change the application or the projectile, and I will have a different opinion.

Boolit Master
    You guys have to remember that this is not a decision being made in a vacuum. It is a path I'm considering as the result of having 300 rounds of 22-250 on hand, and a good stock of ,224 projectiles and suitable powders. I have also had a different experience with twist rates for jacketed bullets in general over the course of my life, having progressed to faster twists and higher SD projectiles over time.

I have a Rem 700 in a 22-250 and it the twist as 1-14". I shoot mainly cast in it and I use the Lyman long 55gr boolit in it and for my mix it is 60grs and it works for all I want.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    You guys have to remember that this is not a decision being made in a vacuum. It is a path I'm considering as the result of having 300 rounds of 22-250 on hand, and a good stock of ,224 projectiles and suitable powders. I have also had a different experience with twist rates for jacketed bullets in general over the course of my life, having progressed to faster twists and higher SD projectiles over time.
    Have you considered selling or trading the 300 rounds? If you are set on shooting the heavier bullets and want a 22-250, then I get it. But if you're just looking to use the 300 rounds, perhaps other options make better sense?

Just thought I'd throw that out there in the event you'd not considered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
    For Yotes you have a point (sorta) but a 6mm CM is a far better Yote gun.

Tikkas are not all long bolt throw actions. Their 308 family has just as short a bolt throw as a 700 SA by use of a bolt stop as pre 64 70s had. They also use a different (shorter) magazine than the 06' family rifles.

Insofar as I know the only maker with really short actions is SAKO. They make an extra short for 222 & 223.
    This is what Ronald is talking about. Two T3 Tikkas. The 22-250 on top has the longer bolt stop and magazine block. The bolt, receiver, and magazine are the same length as the 25-06 below it.
    Excuse the j-words.....
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That's interesting about the Tikka bolt stop length. What's the barrel length and twist on the Tikka?
    If I was approaching this from a totally fresh start, and not too worried about the cost, I'd probably be looking at the .22 BR Remington

The Tikka is 22-1/2" and 1-14" in 22-250. I'm not aware of a fast twist factory 22-250 rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an AR10 I rebarreled into a 22-250 with a 1-7 twist Krieger barrel. It does 80 grn very well and almost the 90s in the long vld type bullets. It is chambered so 80 grn bullet only the boat tail is below the neck shoulder junction. I push the 80s out around 3400 fps and the come up from 200yds to 600yds is 7 mins. Its a viable useable conversion or upgrade. I was using the original 80 grn JLKs and the sierra 80 grn. Not sure how bergers would hold up to this velocity.
    Most factory 22-250s are 1-14 twist rates and do well with 55-60 grn bullets depending on length of the same. The 22-250 is a good round but I'm also expecting barrel life to be shorter than my 243s with these loads. Probably around 2000 rds or a little less.
    When I tested it at 600 yds my target puller afterwards claimed they cracked thru the target sounding like a 223 from 200yds. WInd wasn't an issue with these heavy bullets at the velocity.
    A Remington action trued up and a quality barrel in 1-9 or 1-7 twist with a good chamber cut to leave just the boat tail below the neck ( maybe a little more since this is going to be short lived as the throat burns out) should make for a very accurate long range rifle for prarrie dogs or wood chucks. Also would make a great mid range or long range target set up.

Country Gent, will the fast twist tear up normal 55gr and below bullets? My 7"twist 5.56 ARs shoot lightweights well but I'm curious about the extra speed of the 22-250. And what length of barrel is on that AR10?

Boolit Master
    I have a 22-250 with 1:7 twist. I have shot everything from 55 to 80g. No issues with bullets staying together, or accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast