Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather "emergency"

Cold weather "emergency"

The bottom is supposed to drop out temperature wise the next few days. Temperatures near 0 with wind chills more than that are expected. I am very worried about how we at the Thumbcocker compound will weather this critical weather. I don't know what we are going to eat Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171224_095914.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	210679. No idea how we will keep warm. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171219_152437.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	210680. And to make matters worse; the animals are starting to panic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171216_101424.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	210681 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141214_140958.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	210682.

Please send warm thoughts our way. Any suggestions on how to deal with the situation would be appreciated.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    ................................Yea .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master

Its in the low or mid 40's here right now but the temps are slowly dropping. The next few days are predicted to be in the teens with the wind chill near "0". There is a slight chance for freezing rain, our worst enemy. Thats not really cold for the Northern guys but its pretty tough for Arkansas.

We have food and drink in the house. We have wood stacked in the garage and on the porch. The whole house natural gas fired generator started normally last Wednesday for its weekly exercise. The Cats laid up on the bed right now, looking about as worried as your pets are!

I'm not planning on getting out very much after today until this freeze is over. I still have a bunch of pistol brass to wash, resize and tumble. There may even be a drink in front of the fire place in my future! There is even a bottle of Champagne and a jug of OJ in the fridge.

All in all, Life is Good. Bring it on!

Boolit Grand Master

I will pray you make it! It will be tough but hang in there, get some sweaters for the dog and cat they look cold.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    gods speed man
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

I only got one thing to say...

Attachment 210687
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I see the "ants" are prepared as usual. But what about the grasshoppers? I'm assuming they're buying up all the milk and TP right now.

It'll be in the 50s here tonight. Maybe I can finally fire up my lead pots along with my backyard fire pit.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    My pantry and woodpile resembles Thumbcockers with the exception of the liquor cabinet here is also well stocked, and a keg of homebrew IPA in the keggerator.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    They make pet tranquilizers that are herbal & work very well. Your critters' level of panic doesn't require any tho, IMO

Only suggestion I have is something you'll have a tough time avoiding, I think - If it gets cold, snuggle a dog!

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    With it to hit a low of 13 here Sunday night & 11 Monday night we'll probably have to get into our "Apocalypse Food" cache ourselves, but as long as I have Propane and power I'll just sit back & tough it out. I did make sure that our Coffee stash was safe cause I can live a while without food or heat, but I have to have my Coffee
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Banned

go put some good Prestone de-icer windshield washer fluid in the cars and trucks.

I've still got 3/4 of the 2660lb of coal I bought at the beginning of December.
    So by my calculations I have 1995Lb of coal left, which I expect to last to Mid-February

It got cold enough here in last night (the heat goes upstairs by natural convection)
    that I actually turned on the circulation blower of my hand-fired Harmon Coal Stove,
    which warms up the Den and My computer desk nicely.

Speaking of which it is about time I get up out of my "Comfy chair" and shake the stove and go brave the bitter cold to get another bucket of coal.

AD

Boolit Master

Nice here in NH, last couple mornings -10+ below. Ice making on the lakes and ponds will be ice fishing in a week!!!

Boolit Master

It really is tough sledding here in Las Vegas. The last time it went below 32 degrees was over a year ago. Today it will be in the mid 60's and the high 40's at night. We haven't had any kind of precipitation in 102 days. This is why I live out here. I suffer from mid May to late September with the miserable heat of the desert but I love October thru mid May.

My plan today is to do a little coyote hunting about 10 miles from the house. I will be in a valley between two mountains and I will be trying out a new electronic caller with a remote so I can perch myself up to 300 yds away from the source of the call. Ya gotta be shifty out here to nail Wiley E. Coyote.

I have been out here for 23 years and I cannot believe how much time I can spend outdoors in the cool months. Maybe I will stop at my outdoor range and mine some lead before I go hunting.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

My warm thoughts go out to my chum, Mr TC, in Ill. I send warm thoughts from Tucson, AZ, where the outside temp right now is 80*... (Neaner neaner...)
    (Spent Christmas in Houston - temp 12/26 was 42* ALL DAY AND NIGHT! Dew point must have been about 41*, as moisture was just forming and falling out of the air, not really rain, just aerial condensation. Thank goodness no fog...)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Man
    This has one of the warmer days this week up here in nodak

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

my forcast low is -30 today, probably spend a lot of time here and watching you tube. Good luck !!

In Remembrance
    For it to get down to zero, it will have to warm up just a little, that said we are having some really nice weather.

Boolit Master

hasn't got above -6 or -7 and -18/-19 at night for over a week now.
    If my cabin/home wasn't just 19'/26' Julie and I would be cold.
    I guess some folks bedrooms are bigger, but 4 cord of wood gets Err done.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    go put some good Prestone de-icer windshield washer fluid in the cars and trucks.
    My choice is the rain-X brand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast