Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather "emergency"

Boolit Master

you guys have me so scared we went out and culled the chickens and turkeys, processed about half the henhouse, did not want the older ones freezing to death. only problem is now our freezers are packed to the brim again.

In Remembrance
    LOL, That would be THE road, actually there is two entrances, a couple of miles apart, depending which part of the slope you want to go to.

My son in law worked for veco?ch2m for several years, they had to carry an artic coat back and forth, they would not let them on the flight out of anchorage without it, supposedly incase of a plane crash. lol

Never could stand to process chickens or turkeys, either one. Stinkin' mess to scald and singe the doggone feathers.

BAH!

Banned

0 is just another winter day up here. Especially in mid jan to the first of march when lake superior is froze over.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Been single digits overnight here for several days and well below freezing for a day time high.
    Not too bad.
    Went squirrel hunting yesterday...snowed all morning (got 5") and the temperature topped out at 21°F.
    Had a great time sitting in the woods with the snow falling.Very peaceful and serene.

Not much squirrel activity but that doesn't matter.
    My son and I had a great time and that is what matters.

Went sailing Friday, yesterday, probably go again today. I've got two boats on the ice. Just have to decide which boat will sail the best with the wind at hand. Looks like a DN day is shaping up.

Ice
    Is
    Nice!

Boolit Master
    Just starting to warm up a bit here, this is the first morning in a while I woke up to a temp was above 0 Farenheit. I had to add denatured alcohol to our window wash fluid to keep it from freezing up in the lines. So much for "good to -20"!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

-23 below zero this morning in Fargo North Dakota. 1 degree colder than yesterday. Should warm up a little bit this week. I don't mind these quick dips to below zero. What is hard on things, vehicles, batterys, people, etc. is 30 days of mostly -20, where it never gets above zero.

That takes a toll on things. Metals fatigue, stuff breaks, diesel engines freeze solid. And if you can not drag, push, pull it into a heated space, there it sits until the weather breaks.

A little cold is good for you. Reminds you that you are alive, and that it could be worse.

Boolit Master

Yesterday was -36C with a 15 MPH wind the neighboring district issued an alert that they could not keep pressure up in the natural gas lines. Folks were advised to use alternate sources of heat
    This is in a area that produces hug volumes of natural gas that gets piped out of province

In the past we have hit -45C or colder this time of year
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    -23 below zero this morning in Fargo North Dakota. 1 degree colder than yesterday. Should warm up a little bit this week. I don't mind these quick dips to below zero. What is hard on things, vehicles, batterys, people, etc. is 30 days of mostly -20, where it never gets above zero.

That takes a toll on things. Metals fatigue, stuff breaks, diesel engines freeze solid. And if you can not drag, push, pull it into a heated space, there it sits until the weather breaks.

A little cold is good for you. Reminds you that you are alive, and that it could be worse.
    A lot of cold can kill you in a few hours if you make a simple mistake
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Thumbcocker,
    I live about 15 miles north of you on rt 37. WE are in about in the same shape as you. Hang in there .

Banned

now were talking cold not chilly
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Yesterday was -36C with a 15 MPH wind the neighboring district issued an alert that they could not keep pressure up in the natural gas lines. Folks were advised to use alternate sources of heat
    This is in a area that produces hug volumes of natural gas that gets piped out of province

In the past we have hit -45C or colder this time of year

Boolit Master
    environment canada says tomorrow morn will be a balmy -40 C which is pretty much the same as -40 f needless to say the cannon balls will be falling of the holder (which in case anyone cares was called a brass monkey) lol its been thereor nearly for about a week now. Pretty sure the rooster will Not be jump starting the hens tomorrow!!!!!

10x back in my young and stupid days, I did a 3.25 mile walk in -37 below for a couple of packs of smokes, a drink, and the sound of a person's voice other than my own.

There, and back again. 2 people stopped, I declined the ride both times.

The real key IMO is control, don't work hard enough to start sweating. Steady is the key, and good gear. I was plenty warm from toes to top of my head. But there was very very little showing.

Moderator Emeritus

This extended cold is doing a number on my right knee... woke up to it swollen today. No clue what I did unless it was pulling the garden wagon with 160 pounds of pellets on it 2 days ago... torn ACL both knees so I could have irritated that, or the cartilage finally gave out, it is pretty chewed up.

Moderator Emeritus

Been there done that! Friend walks over middle os a blizzard and says "Let's walk up to the bar for some beers" snow drifts in the street 4' deep and a 6 block walk with wind chills pushing -40...

But worst was pheasant hunting in Iowa, -20 temps, windchills far lower and we walked 20 miles that day! Pheasants were smarter than we were, they were all roosted up in groves and not moving even if we walked up on them. We won't shoot a bird on the roost so it was a long cold day of hiking... dress for it and not to bad though!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    10x back in my young and stupid days, I did a 3.25 mile walk in -37 below for a couple of packs of smokes, a drink, and the sound of a person's voice other than my own.

There, and back again. 2 people stopped, I declined the ride both times.

The real key IMO is control, don't work hard enough to start sweating. Steady is the key, and good gear. I was plenty warm from toes to top of my head. But there was very very little showing.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Went sailing Friday, yesterday, probably go again today. I've got two boats on the ice. Just have to decide which boat will sail the best with the wind at hand. Looks like a DN day is shaping up.

Ice
    Is
    Nice!
    Not enough wind, but friends and �� on the ice doesn't get much better (unless you have wind)��

Boolit Master
    -36 below last night with out wind chill tonight -50 some below with wind chill.spent most of the day repairing heating systems

High of 27° here today. In a few days it'll be 70° again. I feel for you "Winter folks" just as you feel for us "Summer folks!" Hang in there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't know why we all do this silly firewood and food hoarding...just vote for Bernie Sanders and the government will provide! Right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast