Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to site just started casting for 357 mag.

Boolit Buddy

New to site just started casting for 357 mag.

Hello everyone I recently started casting for 357 mag with a lee 358-158 tl. It drops at .360" I wanted to know if I would be okay to load as is or if I need to buy a sizing die. If I can load as is what are recommended loads to try. I have aa#5, unique, and h110 on hand. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard Flailguy.
    There is tons of discussion around here to read through for days and days.
    You really need to slug the barrel to figure out what bullet size will likely work best for you. Generally the .360 will be a little big for most guns. First problem is the cylinder throats. If the bullet can't pass freely you will have accuracy degradation.

I think the H110 is for advanced casting because you can't really make light to medium loads with it. Heavy loads require proper bullet fit and hardness. My experience is that hard cast needs to be about 1/1000 larger than the bore. A lot of guys go 2/1000 over but it has not worked out well for me.
    So, yes, you will probably need a sizing die if for nothing else, to ensure uniformity.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned
    Welcome to CB Flailguy.
    there's an old standard for unique 358-158
    4.6 grn for 38 spcl
    6.4 grn for 357 mag

You will find a ton of links to free load data sites here->-> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Never use a load (like I wrote above) without confirming it with published data

This is the first place I go to look for a load (this site shows max recommended loads)
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

lwknight is right, it depends on the throat and bore diameter
    what alloy are you using? have you tried casting and measured the boolits or is 360 what is said on the mold box.

http://www.lasc.us/
    and the google custom search near the top right of the forum page are pathways to an incredible amount of resources,

Boolit Grand Master

It would help to know the gun - rifle or revolver, at least. The above posters are correct, stick with Unique as it is the most versitile powder you list. Aa#5 would be next, but easy to overload.

Unique does have a habit of bridging in measures - be aware of your powder level in every case before you seat your boolit - this from experience. I have seven powder measures - from Pistol powder measures to Lyman 55 and RCBS - and Unique bridged in every one. It only goes through my B&M now.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    7 gr of true blue work well with that boolit.meters better than unique.

Boolit Master
    Loading as dropped will probably work but it's highly likely you'll get better accuracy with sizing.

How are you lubing the bullets?

All you need to do is size the boolits to be s snug slip fit through the cylinder throats. No need to slug the barrel.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    You will probably need a .358” sizing die, I know I do for that boolit. You will definitely need some load books or factory publications. All of those powders are fine but don’t rely on peoples say-so. Get some hard data for yourself. THEN compare pet loads. As mentioned, there are lots of good resources on the ‘net but there’s also some junk. Stay safe.
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com
    reloadammo.com
    handloads.com
    All sites I have used.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you all. I'm using coww boolits Mic at.360. Tumble lining with lee alox. The gun is my brother's its a s&w revolver I would guess from the 80s or 90s not sure the model but I will find out.

Boolit Master
    Do not use light loads with H110, it can detonate if you go too light. I use 14.5 Grains with that boolit in .357 mag and some people would say that’s too light. (Actually 296, but same powder). Works well for me, though.
    Like others have said, don't take my word for it. Published data!

Welcome to the site!
    Last edited by Boolseye; 12-30-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Is accuracy the only downside to shooting my oversize boolits? Or will it lead to overpressure?

Boolit Master
    There is no downside, but they may not chamber in your revolver. .360" can often bulge the cases out of spec. If they chamber, shoot 'em as cast. My Ruger SBH would probably chamber them that large, my Smith m66 won't. Fatter boolits will usually be more accurate, not less.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 12-31-2017 at 10:20 AM.

No worries about overpressure due to a couple of thousandths boolit diameter. If they fit into your chamber, shoot them.
    I use that boolit for 38Special unsized and shoot a bunch of them. Very accurate for me.
    I have never tried it for 357 mag as I use other stuff for that.

Boolit Buddy

Fwiw. The gun is a s&w model 13-4.

Boolit Master
    Cool piece, K frame like my m66.

Boolit Buddy

They chamber but that may be only because I'm using a carbide factory crimp die.

Moderator Emeritus

It drops at .360" I wanted to know if I would be okay to load as is or if I need to buy a sizing die.
    Is accuracy the only downside to shooting my oversize boolits?
    Flailguy
    Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, in regards to the discussion of "To Size or Not To Size".
    Uniformity is the answer toward the best accuracy. Are all your boolits .360 ? I would be they are not, some are probably .3595 and some maybe .3605 and they may have a wider range of sizes.

If you size them all to .358 (or whatever you deem is best for your gun), then when they are loaded, they will all be the same size, and should have about the same case tension and should generate about the same pressure when fired. Boolits of varying sizes will not have that uniformity when shooting.

I'm not sure if the loss of accuracy will be at a level that is noticeable for your pistol shooting application, but the loss of accuracy is there at some level. Most of my pistol shooting probably wouldn't matter (accuracy-wise), if I sized them or not, but I do size all my boolits. Also, a added benefit of sized boolits is during the seating/crimping process of loading ammo, less chance of problems, such as shearing lead.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

That factory crimp die is sizing them inside the brass. Shoot em and see. Some guns are finicky and require a lot of care to get optimum accuracy, but as long as your cylinders are uniform and not smaller than the bore, the 38/357 is usually pretty easy going. Load some up with moderate published data and get started. When you go looking to maximize velocity, accuracy, or specialty reloading, then sweat the details.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flailguy View Post
    They chamber but that may be only because I'm using a carbide factory crimp die.
    Don't worry too much about that Carbide factory Crimp die. I use one for all my handgun cartridges. Whether or not it actually sizes down your boolit inside the case depends on a number of factors which may make no difference whatsoever. As others have said, you need to try them out and see how they work.
    If you get good accuracy without any leading, you are good to go.
    If there are accuracy or leading problems, then we need to figure out what is causing that particular issue.

Boolit Buddy

Tried out the boolits yesterday. No problems at all. I went with 5.7 gr of unique no leading yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast