MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with Powder Coated Boolets - Yes or No ?

Boolit Master
    Love the 300 BO I have a Remington heavy barrel tacticle rifle suppressor ready and that gun is very accurate. Now I just need to develope some cast bullet loads for it. I have a real nice accurate mould for my turdy turdy that's works fantastic drops a nice GC boolit in the 180 grain range. This thread and the subzero temps are getting me fired up to start that project.

The above rifle is the Remington SPS 700 series. I have a Trijicon 1-4 30mm mounted on it.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 12-31-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Attachment 210756
    You want the transition to look like this
    To feed the 308-312 dia bullets the back of the inter and outer lugs that match the 2 troughs need to be tapered more
    Awesome! I tried smoothing out the feed ramps a bit but will break the barrel loose today and do a proper job. I also have a bit of "fat nose" problem. The boolits are dropping a bit over sized (.313). By the time I powder coat (with Smokes powder, of course), they are sticking in the chamber. The boolits seem to be round but maybe some debris on the face is keeping the mold from fully closing. I'll clean the mold real good and cast a few more. If that doesn't fix the "fat nose", it's either nose sizing or sell the mold. I do need to fix the feed issue.
    Thanks for the help and Happy New Year,
    F_L

Boolit Master

If the hammer test does not loosen the coating from the lead, that should alleviate the concern of powder coating contaminating the meat, right?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

The biggest issue I've had with PC bullets has been the dimensional additions due to PC, normally requiring a slightly deeper seating.
    I've experienced no issues with revolvers.
    Maybe I need to get back to experimenting with PC...Life got in the way this year.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Survival Bill View Post
    Smoke4320 Thanks incredible pics to me anyways!

Well that gives me all the motivation I need to get started with the CB / PC project...
    And thanks for the hint on 50/50 and 2% tin

I think the Nuke 50 may be a bit more than I need for the time being
    Survival Bill one other note when i got to 2100 fps in the 358 win i also had to switch to 98/2 alloy to keep accuracy. This did not affect the deer killing capacity of the hp projectile
    Also found the smaller the caliber the lower the velocity that i had to switch from 50/50 to 98/2 .. 223/5.5/ iirc was at about 1950 in a 1-7 twist.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Surfing a few days ago I found a test that compared two loads in .45 ACP using the same boolit, each load with both conventional lube and PC. The tests were shot using a Ransom rest. The data was collected in a scientific manner and showed a small accuracy edge to PC with both loads. Sorry, I didn’t save a link.
    And I read a Charles Petty article with the same parameters where the lubed bullet won. I 'm still undecided on them but I've never liked the smell of burning plastic.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by F_L View Post
    Awesome! I tried smoothing out the feed ramps a bit but will break the barrel loose today and do a proper job. I also have a bit of "fat nose" problem. The boolits are dropping a bit over sized (.313). By the time I powder coat (with Smokes powder, of course), they are sticking in the chamber. The boolits seem to be round but maybe some debris on the face is keeping the mold from fully closing. I'll clean the mold real good and cast a few more. If that doesn't fix the "fat nose", it's either nose sizing or sell the mold. I do need to fix the feed issue.
    Thanks for the help and Happy New Year,
    F_L
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem but most of us size our powder coated bullets after applying the powder coating. So unless you meant the nose section that won't get sized I don't see any problems with PC adding diameter to the bullets.

Motor

ETA: Smoke: Thanks for the great information above concerning velocity, PC and gas checks.
    Last edited by Motor; 12-31-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem but most of us size our powder coated bullets after applying the powder coating. So unless you meant the nose section that won't get sized I don't see any problems with PC adding diameter to the bullets.

Motor

ETA: Smoke: Thanks for the great information above concerning velocity, PC and gas checks.
    Yes, it's the nose that is causing problems.

Banned

you need a proper mold.

the issue with PC so far is almost everyone is using the mold they have in the drawer.
    if a person took the time to do a pound slug of their throat.
    then had a mold cut for a .001 coating to be applied to it for a better dimensional fit they would go a lot further down the path.

for instance I have a 165gr. bevel base mold that pours to .308 on the body and .298 on the nose.
    it has a crimp groove right behind a very short front drive band, and 2 larger drive bands, with a thin 'lube groove'.
    anyone wanna guess what cartridge it is designed for?
    yep the 30-30, it's for my stevens 325-C.
    cast, coat, load, shoot... life is simple.

Boolit Grand Master
    my in the drawer mold works fine in my 358 win
    just lucky I guess
    KISS
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Attachment 210695
    Attachment 210696
    Attachment 210697

please don't tell my rifles that PC will not shoot accurately .. Right now they don't know this..

I have over the last 2-3 years posted many targets in many calibers that approach or as above are actually mid range jacketed velocities
    last pic is the 358 win 200 grns at 200 yds ...4 shots to the left then I adjusted the scope for a center shot
    I don't go to any extremes to load that ammo .. std dies std case prep (I do ream all flash holes) and std bullet sizing (using either lee or NOE push thrus)
    have done the same in 223, 7 TCU, 30 and 357 herrett , 300 blackout, 308, 357 mag, 358 Win, 45-70 and 458 Socom... Oh and my 50 cal BP rifle .
    every caliber above has taken a or multiple deer except the 223..almost all were bang flop except 2 and they went no further than 20-30 yds

being a long time long range competition shooter I have the discipline to wait and take the money shot. Also my guns wear higher quality scopes
    so to increase chances of a precision shot (check the parallax differences between a hi quality and low quality scope)
    as stated apply here before ...Holes kill.. holes placed in the heart kill quick.. holes placed in the upper heart region seem to kill REAL quick
    PC'ed Bullets can shoot accurately and do so at speed
    and if you like I can post lots of pics of both rifle targets and dead deer . I am in NC we are allowed 6 deer a year on a std big game license and can purchase extra doe tags easily..
    there have been a couple years were I have hunted to help other families out to get thru the winter.. free meat goes a long way when you are unemployed or hurt and can't work
    What a great post. Not only for the testimony of what PC bullets can do, but what a "shooter" can do.

BTW, I do not shoot PC bullets and likely never will. Not because they are inferior to lubed bullets but because I have no need for them. I hunt with jacketed and "play" with cast bullets. 99% + of my rifle and pistol shooting is "play" with .38's or 9mm. For my needs, lubing with a Star or BLL is more efficient. Maybe when the granddaughter is old enough to shoot I will PC if it pretty colors make her happier.
    Don Verna

F_L I use the 31-184C (like a 041 or RD), smaller meplat that feeds good in 30/30, AR BO & AR10. My barrels all have the wide feed ramps and Lacer BO mags work for large meplat. 223 Pmags don't feed right, haven't tried any BO Pmags yet..
    Whatever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    my in the drawer mold works fine in my 358 win
    just lucky I guess
    KISS
    mine does too, if I added powder to the mix I'd never get it to chamber.
    that's where things get different.
    there's about good and there is good.
    I know that if I started throwing powder coat on top of my custom cut molds the entire dynamic/mechanical fitment of the load would change.

I don't know if I could get the speed and accuracy back.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you need a proper mold.

the issue with PC so far is almost everyone is using the mold they have in the drawer.
    then had a mold cut for a .001 coating to be applied to it for a better dimensional fit they would go a lot further down the path.

for instance I have a 165gr. bevel base mold that pours to .308 on the body and .298 on the nose.
    it has a crimp groove right behind a very short front drive band, and 2 larger drive bands, with a thin 'lube groove'.
    Well maybe one day I will get far enough along to get a custom mold made once I settle down as to what weight boolit I would like to use.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you need a proper mold.

While not a custom mold I thought this one (NOE 311-155) would be a good match for the blackout. But it's dropping oversized bullets. The nose is .306-.307 before powder coating. I bought mold used so don't know it's history.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    F_L I use the 31-184C (like a 041 or RD), smaller meplat that feeds good in 30/30, AR BO & AR10. My barrels all have the wide feed ramps and Lacer BO mags work for large meplat. 223 Pmags don't feed right, haven't tried any BO Pmags yet..
    Thanks! I got the feed ramp work done and will look for some Lancer mags. This project will get postponed until I cure the fat nose problem.

Oh, the lancer mags I got are for 7.62x40WT - have the ribs removed & the forward edge is different. Looked for the new BO pmags but havent seen any yet.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Oh, the lancer mags I got are for 7.62x40WT - have the ribs removed & the forward edge is different. Looked for the new BO pmags but havent seen any yet.
    So someone is now actually making 300 BO specific magazines? When I first heard someone mention this I thought it was by mistake or some kind of marketing ploy.

Motor

Vendor Sponsor

yes Pmags specifically for the 300 Blackout.. were supposed to be available late fall.. still can't find any in stock
    Listed at all my distributors just none in stock yet
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Last deer I shot was with a powdercoated 255gr .45 Colt at 250 yards. Bullet zipped right through her, kilt her daid. Very little bloodshot damage, right through the lower chest and heart.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast