Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 380 head gets stuck in die

380 head gets stuck in die

hi all, I am loading for my ruger lcp. it has a bore of almost .357 I sized lee 102gr powder coated sized to 358 and the boolit gets stuck in the die. then I must turn in the adjuster screw to push it out and start all over.i have a tokarev in 9mm same problem. the 380 is loaded on a pro 1000. the 9mm is loaded on a loadmaster seating and crimping in separate dies.loading 357 sized boolits is ok on both anyone run across this? thanx and happy new year

Boolit Master
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say maybe the brass doesn't have enough tension to hold the boolit? How are you sizing your brass? The only time Ive run into this was when I deprimed but did not size my brass to experiment with removing the coke bottle effect. the only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that your seating die might have dried lube stuck in the top of it. Some other guys will chime in here with some ideas, but id start there.

Boolit Bub
    How is your seater die set into your press? Try setting the die high into the press and then set seater stem for OAL. There might be a taper in the seater die body so keeping the seater stem low wouldn't let the bullet get stuck. Just a thought !

Boolit Grand Master

What brand dies are you using? I assume you are saying the boolit is stuck in the seat die? Remember that all dies (except possibly RCBS Cowboy dies) are cut for bullets, not boolits. Your boolits are oversize for the caliber. You may need your seat die opened up, I had to send one to Lee for this, to be able to seat the Oldfeller Frankenstein boolit in my 8x56 Steyr die. I sent the die and a couple of boolits - with a letter and my e-mail addy. After a couple of e-mails it was done and back working perfectly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Does everything work ok with the diameter bullets the dies were designed to work with?

If so, they may need to be bored out by the amount your bullets are oversized.

FWIW if the case head is getting stuck in a die your brass is upside down.

Boolit Grand Master

What exactly is sticking in the die? The bullet? The case? Perhaps you have too much flare and the case is a bit too large for the seating die ID? BTDT. Reread Mr. Smith's post. Die designed for .355"-.356" jacketed bullets?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by qkdraw44 View Post
    hi all, I am loading for my ruger lcp. it has a bore of almost .357 I sized lee 102gr powder coated sized to 358 and the boolit gets stuck in the die. then I must turn in the adjuster screw to push it out and start all over.i have a tokarev in 9mm same problem. the 380 is loaded on a pro 1000. the 9mm is loaded on a loadmaster seating and crimping in separate dies.loading 357 sized boolits is ok on both anyone run across this? thanx and happy new year
    I'm guessing here but assume you've already made sure the boolits aren't being stuck because of lube buildup in the seating portion of the die? If so, I'm with the other posters who said your seater needs reamed out. Hhmm that sounds kinda what they did to me when I had a colonoscopy!
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    I can't believe we all forgot to ask what he's reloading on! What press and dies are you using? It might let us who have the best experience with those specific items help more.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by SNDBGGR1484 View Post
    How is your seater die set into your press? Try setting the die high into the press and then set seater stem for OAL. There might be a taper in the seater die body so keeping the seater stem low wouldn't let the bullet get stuck. Just a thought !
    This should fix your problem! If you are seating and crimping with different dies, the seating die doesn't need to be all the way to the shell plate.

Banned

ever check to see if you have a build up of bullet lube in the nose of the die?

Boolit Bub
    Summers in N.E. PA, Winters in Central Florida
    Good advice, on all of the above, but another little trick I use on all my brass is to taper ream the case necks a bit, it removes any burrs, and helps to keep the boolits from cutting or deforming. I routinely also shoot .357 boolits in all of my 9 MM handguns, and use Lee Alox tumble lube on them, and don't ever recall a bullet getting stuck in the die. I NEVER use the taper crimp in the bullet seating die either, I prefer to use a separate Lee crimping die, in a single stage Lee Reloader press, as it gives me more of a "feel" for the amount of crimp I want, over a turret or progressive press.
    Fred (Honcho)

Boolit Grand Master

I see that the OP has not returned or responded to this thread. Wonder if it is read by him at all?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

i'm readin and love all the input. thanx all. its reeeeeeeeeel cold here in ny. as soon as the weather breaks I will be casting some "fat" boolits. I think backing out my seating die will take care of it like SNDBGGR said. happy new year