WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lyman turret press

Boolit Man

New Lyman turret press

Someone has mentioned that Lyman is coming out with a new 8 station turret press. That has to be a monster.

There was an active thread on one of the forums about all the new Lyman presses with pictures. The 8-station turret press looked the most interesting but it didn't look overly massive nor overly inventive.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Look on page three towards the bottom of the page, for now at least. Tomorrow it may reach page four.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    They have pictures up on their Website:
    https://www.lymanproducts.com

Boolit Bub
    I generally poo poo lyman products but the turret has me intrigued.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	211614

Removable turrets too. I think they've got a winner.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

So Lyman has managed to knockoff the Redding T7. I wonder if it is as good?
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

I wonder for what holds the turret can take the pressure of the size of the case. I have the old T press and the bolt that holds the turret, need to make sure you do not break the bolt. I got a single stage to do all my size of cases it is a used one.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    So Lyman has managed to knockoff the Redding T7. I wonder if it is as good?
    I wonder as well. However, one upside is that the Lyman is an 8 holer vs 7 on the Redding.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I think Redding still gets the nod on this one if nothing else because they were already doing it.

Also, near as I seem to see they have one of the worst customer service in the industry. (Still above average)

Who is "they" ... Hornady?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Redding?

No, he was talking about the worst customer service.

Oh, no I think Lyman has the less stellar customer service when compared to hornady Redding Dillon rcbs lee etc etc but honestly I haven’t had a lot of experience woth them so I shouldn’t disparage them.

Main reason I'd avoid it is because of the open primer catcher. I prefer captured systems like Hornady, Lee, Redding and Forster. I just recently bought and returned a Rock Chucker Supreme because of this. I didn't realize it had an open catcher system that was horrible at best. I replaced it with a Redding T7 and couldn't be happier. I've had the press for a couple weeks and it's just a pleasure to use.

I do like the idea of the 8 positions, but not for the obvious reason. I'd assume having 8 positions will give you 4 equally spaced holes for the rotation bar. The only complaint I have about the T7 is that it has only 3 bar positions and 2 are equally spaced and the 3rd isn't. I know, it's nit picky, but I've already had to fiddle around with my die placement to ensure I get things where the bar is conveniently positioned for the reloading process. Having 4 equally positioned holes would make it just a smidge nicer. This is really the only complaint I can come up with for the T7.

I've seen reviews and complaints where folks say there's too much play in the T7 turret head, but I've not experienced this. If you look super close you can barely see any rocking. You can't see it unless you specifically look very closely for it. The tolerances are quite tight. I'll be curious how the lyman compares. This has always been an issue that comes up around these style presses.

If you can see it, it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    If you can see it, it's too much.
    Then that would eliminate any turret press, cause you simply can't have a turret that turns not have some amount of wiggle. I consider it a fine tradeoff.

Not to mention, I've used a Lee Turret for many years and have produced perfectly fine ammo, for my needs, and it moves a HUGE amount. I believe Lee likes to claim that the movement is beneficial and allows things to float. I can't really claim that I know enough about it to give an opinion. I just know both my Redding and my Lee produce ammo fine enough for me and the Lee flexes huge amounts and the Redding moves whatever smidge of space is there for the turret to turn.

And let me clarify even further on what I mean by being able to see it. I can't see it from the front when using it. I can only see it move if I look up under the back of the turret head where the gap is located. I can see that gap open and close. This is why I said you have to be looking for it. You can't just see it move. Some folks say they can actually see their turret head move from straight on, I can't.

When the turret is pressed against a hard stop there is no gap and there is no wiggle.

I have two Lee turret presses. They make very high quality ammo.

Boolit Master
    I have two turret presses.The Lyman TMag II has no play or flex in the turret.The RCBS turret press has flex in the turret.I contacted RCBS and they sent me a new washer for the turret retaining bolt.That helped but the turret still had up and down play.I tried a shim washer which removed the play but then I couldn't rotate the turret.The ammo loaded on the press is fine.I suspect some play is designed into the press.

I don't think Lyman is trying to sell us T-Mag II users a new press especially those who have collected 4~6 extra turrets and keep them set up for specific calibers. No matter how you set these presses up/single caliber, there's still 1~2 holes left unused.
    I think, 'they' think...they need to look like the Redding for some reason, like-'more is better'...it ain't gonna happen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	211773

There is a hex-screw post in the rear that allows the adjustment of that gap to be minimized and if you are stuffing with j-types you can run 2 calibers per turret with these old ones too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast