RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: First with cast, MI late doe season

Boolit Master

First with cast, MI late doe season

Yesterday afternoon, I was able to take my first big game with my Henry BBS in 45LC, using a cast boolit. 4 does came in to my bait pile (legal in MI, 2 gals spread over 100 sq ft) They were skittish, but three of them slowly made their way in. The 4th one hung back, but eventually started making her way. As my intended target offered a shot, I took it, and they all fled, but it was obvious I had made a good hit. I watched her run over a small ridge, and not far beyond, she dropped. I watched the spot for a couple of minutes, to see if she would try to get up and run. No movement, so I racked another round, and slowly made my way towards her. As I was nearing the top of the ridge, I slowed down, just in case she was still alive. As I continued walking slowly I spotted her laying there, and she appeared to be dead, and she was. I was really pleased how everything had transpired, and gave thanks to the Lord, for allowing this to take place. In fact, this hunting season has turned out to be exceptional. I managed to take 3 deer, during 3 seasons, with 3 different firearms. The first was a doe during the regular firearm season using a 12 ga with slugs, the 2nd was a 7pt buck with my 54 cal New Englander during the ML season, and the 3rd was the doe with my Henry and cast boolit. I think I'm done hunting for now, at least until April, when turkey season starts. lol I have also attached a close up of my ML buck's rack. It is not big, but really different. Looks like it has two antlers coming out of a common base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stdoewithcast.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	210643
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017MLbuck2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	210644

Banned

Way to go! The ML buck is nice too.

You know you're not getting off that easy, tell us the bullet design, alloy, load etc. I have a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt I'll get in the woods one day.

Boolit Buddy

Nice to see fine work from a fellow Michigander.

Whereabouts do you hunt?

Congrats on the deer! I sat in my sons stand tonight and accumulated a decent layer of snow on me. Saw 9 for sure maybe 10 doe. Passed on them in hopes they do the same thing one of the next couple days when he's sitting there.

Boolit Master
    I was using the Lee 452-255 RF, dropping at .453", as cast, with 7 grs Unique. Alloy was 50% coww, 50% soww and 2% pewter. Have no idea of the fps. I recently switched scopes to a weaver k3, and hastily got it on paper at 30 yds, about 3 days ago. I planned to restrict my shots to 30-40 yds, but I have killed woodchucks at 70 yds, albeit with a different scope, and 452-200 RF, same alloy.

Boolit Master
    IraqVet1982, I'm in sw Michigan, between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. Where are you?

Sounds like an excellent season. Congratulations.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Congrats on the cast boolit doe and kudos to a great season.

Should of been moving somewhere around 1000 fps. About how far out was she?

Congrats from the Thumb. You did better than me I’m 0 for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Xdmalder, she was about 30 yds.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations. Cold day to be sitting a blind, but it looks like it was worth it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I was using the Lee 452-255 RF, dropping at .453", as cast, with 7 grs Unique. Alloy was 50% coww, 50% soww and 2% pewter. Have no idea of the fps. I recently switched scopes to a weaver k3, and hastily got it on paper at 30 yds, about 3 days ago. I planned to restrict my shots to 30-40 yds, but I have killed woodchucks at 70 yds, albeit with a different scope, and 452-200 RF, same alloy.
    Ahhh, I like this. A "normal" .45 Colt load that would be safe in the old Colts. Everybody seems to want to make it into a fire breather these days and I always wonder why. Looks to have enough power to get the job done.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations ! Every WT hunter should receive a vehicle insurance rebate !
    Grew up in SW Michigan (Riverside). I was 17 before I saw a corn cruncher along the Paw Paw River.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Good job , and im glad you had a good season.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Congrats from Pinckney! I took a state land doe here with a cast 45 from my muzzle loader. Good eatin right up to the hole.

Boolit Master
    Nice deer with a fantastic rifle.

Boolit Master

Nice pictures , I too have a .45 Colt. Its a( Hartford ) imported by EMFCO Inc. It shoots very well with fat boolits. maybe next year I`ll get a chance to take game with it. I live a little north of you , Man is it cold!

Boolit Master
    I picked up the doe from the processor today. He found the boolit lodged in the off shoulder. Although it didn't mushroom very much, it did its job. Doe ran less than 50 yds before dropping.

I took a couple does three seasons ago with a 1873 in the .45LC using "home cast" 255 and I think I had more satisfaction with each shot than with any rifle cartridge combination before or since! Congrats on your hunt! (I've not seen a buck like your, either.)