WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 28,000 lbs....yes 28,000

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Please note these bottle exchanges have a RACKET going on, they only fill the bottles 3/4 full! That s how they make their exchange deal seem semi competitive. Isn’t that stupid? Less meat cooked but most people don’t notice.
    DRew, that is true. but i only exchange when a bottle becomes unserviceable. I have a propane filling station i go to. i weigh all my bottles empty and again after i refill. did you know that with each filling, a little oil is added to your bottle................... for whatever reason? (adds weight to the bottle)

Moderator Emeritus

I am lucky, local co-op refills tanks so I have 2 that look like new even if they are 15 years old. Need to get 2 more, in winter I need one in the garage heater, 2 for the beer brewing rig rig, and 1 for the other burner for smelting.

Not sure about a P3 filter, but a P100 filter (3M) is for lead vapor (among other stuff) BELOW the threshold for defined levels considered hazardous by OSHA. Meaning, it is effective for normal use. I use one (1/2 face mask) with P100 filters when smelting, and often when casting (just got in the habit of wearing a mask as a welder to protect damaged lungs from car wreck years ago).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    DRew, that is true. but i only exchange when a bottle becomes unserviceable. I have a propane filling station i go to. i weigh all my bottles empty and again after i refill. did you know that with each filling, a little oil is added to your bottle................... for whatever reason? (adds weight to the bottle)
    It takes a very long time to accumulate enough oil to matter any noticeable amount. I have noticed that the old 100 pound bottles weigh about a pound more than the stated tare weight. Most old cylinders that I replace valves in are bone dry inside.
    I have seen domestic tanks with a couple gallons of crude in the bottom but it is rare since most companies only sell HD5 propane for the last 20 years.
    Back in the day some people were probably selling commercial grade as domestic. The only requirement for commercial is that it actually burns without regard for the amount of dregs in it.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    Good find. Approach it like you would eating a whale. One bite at a time.
    What he said.

Seriously you are going to hate me but if you store the buckets outside they really need holes to drain water or funk city will result. I still bet you hate me less than I envy you

DCrockett makes molds and they are for sale in vendor section they make a good stacking and pot size bar, they also fit in USPS boxes if you decide to sell some lead. Doing bulk batch I use a bunch of thrift store bread loaf pans. Pour about 12 pounds (4 x 3# ladle) into each one. However they can't be fit into a casting melter that way, but then I generally do that for lead that I will be mixing later with other lead into a batch of alloy. The final batch of casting alloy goes in bars ingots or muffin tin pucks.

If you click on this picture to make it full size you can see the slabs on the wheeled deck on the floor (PB) and on the right ends of the shelves 1 & 2 are lino and printers lead slabs. On the left end you see mostly stuff mixed and ready to cast with. Those triangle bars 2nd shelf up next to the upright are like what DCrockettes angle iron molds make. Nice thing about those slabs is they are easy to stamp with harbor freight stamp set, lot less work than doing small ingots. And they will stack high enough to crack your floor. At one time I had around 400# in four stacks. There is about 150 lbs. of plain lead on that harbor freight furniture dolly on the floor to give you some idea of space usage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171015_141625.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	212227
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    What he said.

If you click on this picture to make it full size you can see the slabs on the wheeled deck on the floor (PB) and on the right ends of the shelves 1 & 2 are lino and printers lead slabs.
    I had 2 tons of 25 pound bricks of lead stacked in my garage and got scared that it might crack the slab so I moved them out.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    That is quite the haul. I thought I was lucky when the sears tire shop let me help myself to whatever I could carry off.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I made a smelter from a 25lb propane cylinder and 3-4 16 5 truck rims the older split rims. I used a torch to cut the centers out of all but 1. I then welded them together with the complete one on the bottom. cut a small slot in the bottom one 2 1/2" -3 1/2" wide up to the center. This is the stand. Cut the propane tank just below the top radious 2-3". You've over looked the other fuel. Plain simple stoker coal the fine chipped version. This burns very hot and long. Use a piece of exhaust pipe and a shop vac on blow for a blower. Set the exhaust pipe in the slot a few inches and the blower pushing thru it. Put a layer of stoker coal in the bottom fire it up and set the pot in add stoker coal around the sides and fill pot with lead. The pot cut in the above manner should hold 300-400lbs of clean alloy. With the coal and blower you can have it molten in less than an hour. It takes longer to ladle into ingots than melt it. Have several ingot moulds ( 6-10) to help keep them from overheating. I made 6 5 cavity ingot moulds from 2X2 Angle iron 8" long, these poured a bar of about 3 lbs and would fit in a lee pot. Also would recommend making or buying a bigger ladle in the 8lb-12lb range so one can fill several bars at a time. DOne right you can do 3-5 pots a day if you work hard. A helper is handy also. For moving ingots and loading the pot up.
    Once fired just add stoker coal to the top around the pot and the coals ashes filter down thru. you end up with a hot fire of red coals around the pot. Start slowing down on the fire with the start of the last pot. also don't add water to coal to put it out extinguish it as it will explode the same as lead. Hard woods work but you go thru a lot more and less heat.
    Ive done a 5000 lb batch as described above and it works well
    countrygent.....could/would you post some pics?....this set up sounds bout like what i need. thx greg

Boolit Bub
    I would never use all that.

But maybe would sell it.
    Last edited by HATCH; 01-28-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Banned
    You know the rules, that lead doesn't really exist unless you post picture (s) of it.
    Last edited by Grmps; 01-28-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, pics.

@ Teemu,
    My setup also contains a 360m3 an hour ventilation.
    The air flow is directly sucked from the lead pot to outside.
    And the clean fresh air is coming from behind me.
    In my case!, i am not worried about the vapors, but i am worried about the dust.
    And you hit the nail right on the head: It is indeed a very very small amount of money for your health!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You know the rules, that lead doesn't really exist unless you post picture (s) of it.
    My thoughts exactly!

Me and another member are working our way through 35 or so buckets of wheel weights. Thats about 15% of this haul. I can't imagine dealing with this on the hobbiest level.

Boolit Master

Find the biggest dutch oven you can, scrounge up as many propane tanks as possible, and get ready to put on some muscle. Your land will probably be lead contaminated for the next 50 years from all the dust and spillage, but hey, it'll be worth it! And I thought my 400 lb stash was admirable...........thanks for peeing in my cereal.

Banned
    Check out How to cast bullets out of scrap lead with champion shooter Jerry Miculek He does larger batches.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ82Kqhzo

Moderator Emeritus

If I was going to put the effort into this I would be turning it into a part time business selling lead ingots...

Boolit Grand Master

It amazes me that so many of the videos you see of people smelting lead show them working off of the floor. That much stooping and bending would wear me out. My set up has the melting pot at a comfortable height to ladle out of while standing and so are the ingot molds. I would add that your equipment needs to be sturdy if you're not working on the floor.

Boolit Man
    Pics or it didn't happen ��

Boolit Grand Master

I was really hoping that 43PU would come back with pictures and details about how he handled and smelted this. I calculated that I could probably have that 28000# smelted into ingots in about 20 days with my set-up and a buddy helping. This is based on smelting 5K+ wheel weights recently. And maybe buying stock in Aleve!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast