Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about H110

Boolit Man

Questions about H110

Hi guys! I just received my order of 100 projectiles from Cast Performance (They're the 357 magnum 180 grain gas-checked wide flat nose) Anyway, I did a little playing around and measuring, and it seems that when I fill a once-fired, sized Starline case with H110 up to the level of the bottom of the boolit, the charge weighs 17 grains. So, a 90% full case would be 15.3 grains. The largest max charge weight I can find is 14 grains which is about 83% case fill. I was under the impression that H110 worked best above 90% case fill, so...what gives? My plan is to stay within published data, but still, I'm curious about this.

Scotty

Boolit Buddy
    Please check your data. hogdon list 13.5 max in both rifle and pistol for 180 grain jacketed bullet. They did not list your cast bullet.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

do not worry with the percent of fill, just find a known recipe for your boolit and start with the minimum and ladder up to the max to see which one your gun likes best. h110 was the first powder I ever loaded with and it was also in the 357 magnum. don't over complicate things at first.

Boolit Master
    I've heard a lot of so called rules about H-110 and it's twin sister powder W-296 but I've never seen this "90%" thing, not ever.

A lot has been learned about H-110/W-296 as well as other ball powder(s) since these old rules were written.
    I haven't loaded any 180gr but have been using 158gr JHP and cast for some time with a maximum load of 16.8gr Some newer data is even less so 17gr with any 180 is way too much.

I suggest you start at the jacketed data start loads and carefully work up if you want to work up.Watch for lead fouling and excessive pressure signs like sticky extraction.

Forget about all the percentage rules and use current trusted published data.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master

Questions about H110

There is no case fill rule. You either use a published start load. Or if there is only a max charge listed you start 3% below it. This number has changed over the years. 3% was what used to be listed on their online data center. The fact that they took it down and it can't be found has always bothered me. Their disclaimers for a lot of powders went away when they switched to the current format.

H110/W296 DOES NOT LIKE AIR SPACE........just saying.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I've never heard of the 90% case fill rule. Where did that come from?

Just follow the load data.

Banned

it come from the powder not burning properly causing start/stop/start conditions.
    H-110 is more dangerous in an under load situation than an over load situation when it nearly fills the case.

Boolit Man
    Well, see, that's the thing. People say H110/W296 likes a full case, but the load data I'm seeing isn't even close to a full case. What's up with that?

Scotty

Banned

I think it has to do more with actual bullet design than the weight.
    many bullets out there have long noses to give you more room for more powder, others have an elongated nose but take up more case volume [the XTP design is famous for this]

Banned

stick to the loads in loading manuals. Buy yourself a couple manuals and compare charge weights and don't go over the heaviest charge weight between all your manuals and don't go lower then the heaviest charge weight at the bottom end of the load data and you will be safe. Yes load manuals especially newer ones are a bit conservative but bottom line is a 100 more fps in a handgun isn't buying you much.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp99 View Post
    Well, see, that's the thing. People say H110/W296 likes a full case, but the load data I'm seeing isn't even close to a full case. What's up with that?

Scotty
    Use the published data. Not what people think the powder likes. Published pressure tested data is the only thing you can trust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it come from the powder not burning properly causing start/stop/start conditions.
    H-110 is more dangerous in an under load situation than an over load situation when it nearly fills the case.
    I understand the concepts for using this powder but have never heard of a 90% rule. Did Hodgdon or Winchester ever recommend this practice. Hodgdon has a 60% rule for 4895 in rifle cases so they aren't beyond coming up with these types of practice.

Boolit Grand Master

There is no 90% rule w/ H110.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    H110/W296 DOES NOT LIKE AIR SPACE........just saying.......
    Why? Just askin'...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp99 View Post

Scotty
    Pressure. 357-13.5 Gr H110 with 180 is in the 40k pressure range
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    See the runfiverun post above. H110 doesn’t work well with reduced charges. If you want a reduced power load you should choose another powder. H110 is for max power/velocity loads.
    When you consider the huge fire ball the blasts out the barrel with H110 got to figure a good % of the charge is burning down and outside the barrel. H110 is a slow pistol powder that hard to light and keep lit, so be sure to use a magnum primer, your chronograph will thank you with high velocity readings.
    H110 powder is very frustrating to research in load manuals, because every manual states widely different min/max loads. Remember the load manual data is from special lab pressure guns.
    They are very tightly chambered and have tight spec barrels to show maximum pressure worsts case results with the components used. Any consumer gun is machined with looser chambers, wider cylinder/barrel gap and looser barrels, all working together to lower pressures from the level measured in the lab pressure gun. I would choose the load recipe from the bullet manufacturer to start with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Pressure. 357-13.5 Gr H110 with 180 is in the 40k pressure range
    CUP or PSI? If the load is published in an official load manual it’s safe.

Boolit Grand Master

"but the load data I'm seeing isn't even close to a full case. What's up with that?" now read my answer and you will understand why I quoted the OP
    Last edited by swheeler; 12-31-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast