MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: LiL'gun Powder any one use it in 44 cal

LiL'gun Powder any one use it in 44 cal

I'v been looking for a replacement powder for the 2400 ?? the use is with the .44 mag & .444 . LiLgun by the burn chart is just a bit faster but
    looks tobe very close ! also the A4100 Thanks for your input.......Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Can’t help you, although I’m 99% sure that I’ve loaded 44mag with lil gun I don’t have notes, but please don’t tell me that 2400 is being discontinued!

Boolit Buddy
    May as well be discontinued, I haven't seen any locally since I started restocking during O's first term

Boolit Master
    In stock at Powder Valley for less than $20/lb. I’d rather buy local too, but you gotta do what you gotta do if there is no local stock.

The 2400 hasn't been on our local shelves for the 3+years........Different areas are stocked better than others !! Never failed when something is really Good
    it isn't long till it's gone or replaced with something inferior..............I did a couple test fires this afternoon in the .444 and I'm in the right direction! going by
    the 450 bushmaster loads and backing off 10gr to start......Thanks

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Lil' Gun is pretty close to H110. I used it for .454 loads...IIRC
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Vendor Sponsor

LilGun works great in the 45 Colt for heavies, it will work in the 44 with heavy boolits just fine. If I don't want to load to the max with H110, rather than download it I turn to LilGun and 2400 both can easily tune the load to the 75% ~ 90% power band in Ruger Only 45 Colt pressure levels.

I wouldn't use LilGun for light boolits unless this is all I had but for 280gr to 320gr it should work really well in the 44.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I used a pound of it up loading .41 magnum 210 gr jhp and .300 Blackout 110gr spire points to high velocities and it worked fine. But my accuracy was better in both cartridges using H110/W296. YMMV.

I'm A Honcho!
    Look to AA9 as a replacement for 2400. In my testing it’s normally within .5 grain of my 2400 loads and I have found it to be more accurate.

I found lil gun to be an accurate powder, but too much in 44 Magnum for my liking. Most of my H110 loads are within a grain and a half of lil gun loads. But I prefer H110 for less punch in the recoil curve.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Look to AA9 as a replacement for 2400. In my testing it’s normally within .5 grain of my 2400 loads and I have found it to be more accurate.

I found lil gun to be an accurate powder, but too much in 44 Magnum for my liking. Most of my H110 loads are within a grain and a half of lil gun loads. But I prefer H110 for less punch in the recoil curve.
    Bluejay.........thank you for that sharing that info ! WoW Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    AA 4100/Ramshot Enforcer is a nice powder between 2400 or AA#9 and H110/Win 296. I found it easier to ignite as well.

The powder I really want to try is Accurate 11FS. This powder I think would be just the ticket for Ruger Only 45 Colt loads and any big bore Magnum revolver loads. The FS in the title is Flash Suppressant and is to be somewhere in between AA 4100/Enforcer and H110/296. Load Data looks impressive but I have no real world experience.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con..._data_11FS.pdf

Boolit Master

When I'm not using Unique in my 32 magnums for plinking, I'm using LiL'gun for serious work. I can get higher velocity with less pressure then any other powder. Plus, it is fairly accurate in all of my 32's.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I've used in in 44 mag and a couple of wildcats 44x1.6" (like a rimless 445SM or long 44AMP) and 44x1.8" (really long 44amp that matches 444 velocity). Haven't used it in my 444 Marlin yet as I"ve always used IMR4198 in it. I like LilGun and have been burning more of it lately than W296. Wish one of the local stores would have it in 8lb jugs though.

Moderator Emeritus

I like Lil'gun in the 22 hornet with J-words.
    I've never tried it in a revolver, due to the claims/controversy that it causes throat erosion.
    A search will yield lots of people discussing that. Here is one.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...osion-amp-M92s
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    graf and sons 2400 powder $19.37 per lb on a 8 lb jug instock as of 12/26/17 $20 haz mat

Since I was curious, I dug out the endoscope and took a pic of my sons 357AR barrels throat. The endoscope camera isn't a great one, but at around 1500+- rounds his leade looks basically unchanged from when it was made. All of the loads were above book loads for 357Max. About half were with W296, about 500 with Lilgun and the rest broken up with IMR4227, 2400, and bluedot. I do have a well loved S&W 29 that I've had tightened up once and needs it again that has pretty decent forcing cone erosion. It has mainly been shot with W296 but took tens of thousands of rounds to become noticeable.

The black line in the freebore area is the edge of the 90 degree mirror housing and is not part of the barrel.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 12-30-2017 at 01:38 PM.