RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Lyman 17a??

Lyman 17a??

I have a Armi Sport Sharps with long range pedersoli tang sight. Was thinking about replacing the front blade with a Lyman 17a but not sure which one I need, or even if that's my best choice. I'm new at the BPCR game, so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

If your set on the 17A. simply mesuure the Hieght of you blade from bottom of dovetail and find the one 17A with the closest center line height. And the right width dovetail. I believe they come in 3 dovetail widths and several heights.
    If your not dead set on the lyman, look at the MVA front globes preferably one with the level. The sights on these rifles are High at longer ranges and maintaining level helps a lot shooting good groups. The MVA with level comes with a pretty complete set of appetures, and others are more available for it. Makers of front Globes to look at are MVA, Lee Shaver, Distant Thunder, Buffalo Arms company, and even pedersolis has some.
    I have a pedersoli long range soule on my Pedersoli long range Sharps in 45-70 and adjustments are iffy as to repeatability with it. My MVA rears are much better. The Front globe on it is a windage adjustable front by pedersoli and its okay. It does allow rough windage to be made at the front sight, keeping rear more centered for a better head position. I have MVAs long range soules on my other rifles and spirit level front globes that are very good and usable.
    Distant Thunder has a front globe thats at a slight angle to help with sight picture when sights are cranked up for long range. I believe they also make one with a octagon shaped globe to match the barrel, I would prefer the round models for the better sight picture they give. Do some research and see whats available and in your price range.

The Lee Shaver version of the 17a has a few more options and if nothing else you can get the LS inserts for the regular Lyman 17, way more options of apertures than what comes with the Lyman.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

I just got a Shaver PH front sight with internal level, $100. Definitely not as cheap as the 17A but way cheaper than some and I like that larger diameter front.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I just got a Shaver PH front sight with internal level, $100. Definitely not as cheap as the 17A but way cheaper than some and I like that larger diameter front.

Bob
    I agree with you and like mine a lot.
    I put one on a Ballard 22 rf. It is a good value for a small shop made sight.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    +1 for the Shaver globe sight. I would suggest getting the 1/2" tall one and pick the smallest insert you like for it that doesn't cover too much of the target. Lee Shaver's globe sights are hard too beat for the price. I have several of them. I had an MVA with the spirit level but didn't like it because the bubble was too small to see and the inserts moved around taking my zero with them.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 12-30-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: more info

Boolit Master
    I always find my way back to these guys for front globe sights and inserts
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/875/1

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

Boolit Master

KY Greg, where in Central KY are located? Bardstown for me or a little west actually.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    KY Greg, where in Central KY are located? Bardstown for me or a little west actually.

Bob
    Bob, I'm in Greensburg/Green County. I was at Ky Gun Co. last Saturday picking up some Swiss 1.5 and Schutzen 2f. Bardstown is as close as I can find real BP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Greg View Post
    Bob, I'm in Greensburg/Green County. I was at Ky Gun Co. last Saturday picking up some Swiss 1.5 and Schutzen 2f. Bardstown is as close as I can find real BP.
    I fly for a guy from Greensburg, Jim Moore, although he lives in E-town now. Also use to Jump with guy by the name of Ray Davis from Greensburg. He use to be a town cop there years ago, haven't seen him in a long time though.
    I usually get my black from Powder Inc, but I order a case at a time to make it more reasonable. I wouldn't doubt that KY Gun Co. is probably the only place in the state that sells BP anymore.

Bob

Ray is actually a relative. Small world. lol