Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: 375H&H or 458 in BP

Boolit Master

375H&H or 458 in BP

Satisfied with the success of my 50/300 endeaver, I need another project and I want to use the 375H&H or 458 Win with black powder and the cartridge. This will be nothing but a paper puncher and maybe use it to hunt sometime. I have no expectations but to pull a trigger and enjoy the boom and smoke. Which round would be easiest, I assume 458 winny. Appreciate your expertise for my projects caliber choice.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

.458 Win, as I recall, is nothing more than a .45-90 with a rim change and a belt on the back. That straight-wall case is going to be nice and straightforward for loading black, given the need to compress the charge, and the possible desire to reduce the charge by using spacer wads to maintain that compression. There's no reason you CAN'T do equivalent things with the .375 (there were plenty of tapered B.P. cartridges after all), but it would certainly not be the easier choice.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    When the Danes adopted the 8x58RD in 1888 it was almost 80grains of black behind a 227grains steel jacketed bullet.
    Bear in mind that BP has roughly 1/3'rd the energy compared to smokeless so speeds will be below par but still great fun.

Boolit Master
    I shot .375 BP. no big deal. no big velocity nor surprising accuracy.
    It just goes BOOM and lot of smoke, smell of rotten eggs
    In the .375 it is like a reduced charge load of smokeless.

If you want recoil the 458 is your baby.
    If your like me I want to shoot all boolit weights.
    The 500's with BP will punch you around some.
    Don't know about the 375.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    I'd have to say the .458 because of the straight case and all the different .45 caliber bullet molds available. Anything from a Lyman 292gr up to a custom 550+gr. There would be all kinds of possibilities to experiment with.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I would choose the straight walled case ,like 405win ,458, or 375 x2 1/2" flanged if you particularly want a 375 cal . The 375 H&H is a necked case and getting wads into them could be a pia .The 303 brit was loaded with powder ,wad fitted and necked after then bullet seated.

.458 loaded like a BPCR with soft alloy and SPG lube and overpowder wad ought to work and be fun. Remember to clean your brass with diluted vinegar and your barrel with hot soapy water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Always wanted to try the 375H&H with paper patched black loads because of hearing good reports.
    But what I have is a .38 Long Cox (375x45-70) so that'll do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 Long Cox Reamer.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	210735

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Around here we call the 375 H&H, the 38-95 belted bottleneck express. 95 gr. of black makes a 255 gr cast bullet really fly fast.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    thanks fellas for your input. I was leaning on the 375 in my heart, but in my head the 458 seemed the better way to go as in the straight wall. However if I don't go with my heart I think I might regret it. So I will talk it over with my son and take the plunge!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

Nothing to add about black powder, but not long ago got a .458 and I pretty much think of it as a strong .45-70 bolt gun. Trap Door level loads and cast bullets are a hoot, and the rifle is a lot more accurate with them than I'd have guessed. A .458 Win mag can be a lot of fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Last time north fired 5 rounds of 3F in the 375 H&H 1885 japchester at 100 yards using the same 50-50 cast .377 FN cast (ours) that we use at 1750 fps.
    Off cross sticks from that 28"tube they formed a nice 1.80 clover leaf with 4 rounds near touching. No case crud in the chamber anywhere.
    Did not get a chance to fire a 300 or a 345 graner. I do not remember the exact charge but it had our normal cereal box wad over the charge compressed .20 inches by the bullet as it was breach seated.
    I would not hesitate to pop a corn cruncher or piggy with this load. Once I get the heavier slugs worked out those I would take to shoot anylarge critter. They offer a huge massive wack on a 200yard chain hung ram.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Try Alliant Black: smoke, smells good and way, way less fouling.