Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: all around 45acp load

Boolit Master

My best .45 ACP load is the cheapest bullet I can buy/cast in 200-230 gr. over 5.2 grs. 231/HP38. Cast/jacketed/swaged/Cu plated? I can't tell the difference.

For match level bullseye, 185 Cast SWC over 3.9 grs Clays.

Boolit Master

IMO the Saeco #058 a 215gr swc made for bowling pin shooting with the 45 acp would be the answer! it has a pretty wide meplat. and feeds in most throated 45 acp's no problem in a 625

IF you would like some to try ? please leave a PM

Montana bullets offers that very Saeco 58 bullet and I am all over it with 800X. Kimber Aegis Elite----I will post when game has been taken--may be a while as season is over in West Virtucky. Seems to be the most practical answer to case capacity---meplat---900 fps velocity----no gunsmithing---ACP fun
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Boolit Master
    "Anyhow, I am so crotchety I am looking for ONE load for the 625 and the 1911."...yea you can do that but why.

Having TWO loads isn't going to kill you and you will be doing any big game animal you shoot a favor... Find your optimum all-around load that will do 99% of what you need to get done with a .45 and then load up a couple hundred of the 1%ers for the times when the 99%ers would be marginal...

It may be you don't even need two bullets...just a different powder charge..one going 800 and the other 950. Or a completely different bullet weight/design and velocity all together...

Anyway...that is what I'm boiling down to...still have lots of guns but each one has a all-around load and a hunting or self-defense load depending on the guns use...

Bob

100 yard shots at deer with a 45? When I was a kid, 40 years ago, my father and I used to shoot in a weekly semi-formal competition at a local club outside of Pittsburgh. We shot 5 rounds at 6"x9" steel plates at 100 yards. I think we'd shoot 5 sets, 25 rounds, for the kitty. I usually shot my 7-1/2" SBH, but one weekend I shot either my dad's Combat Commander or my Series 70 Gov't Model loaded with the Lyman 200gr 452460. Probably loaded with a near max charge of Bullseye or Unique. Compared to the 44 Mag, I was amazed at the delay between firing and the sound of lead hitting steel. There was a good bit of Kentucky windage involved using the standard Colt sights. My opinion, just considering the time it takes for the bullet to arrive on target, but I think 100 yards is a bit too far for the 45 ACP. I personally don't have any experience in shooting deer that far. A long shot at a deer for me has been 50 to 60 yards at most.

Banned
    This isn't rocket science. Open up a Lymans reloading manual and pick any 200gr SWC or 230 gr rn load and simply use them. Either bullet will do what you want them to do. While the 45acp doesn't have a long kill range its more than adequate for a self defense round or a light hunting round. My favorite go to is a Magma 230gr RN with 5.6 gr of 231. Accurate and effective.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Take your #68 and run it at full speed (850 - 875 fps) and you have your do all load. Can you find loads that "might" be a smidge better for some purpose? Maybe! Will you ever notice the difference? Not likely!
    +1 ! Worked for me for 38 years.

Banned
    Each person has their favorite. Many years ago I had the famous HG68 mold and produced thousands of bullets and was relatively happy until I wandered into the Magma 185 and 200 gr SWC bullets and promptly sold my HG68 mold. The accuracy for me was better with the magma SWC bullets in both the 45acp and 45LC.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Attachment 210700The "all around load" I used for 5 years or so was 4.8 grains of Titegroup. I left my Pro-Jector set up for .45acp and 4.8 grains of Titegroup which gave me 200 gr #68s that made "major" for action pistol and 230 grain BD-acp loads that worked well for killing critters, and flew much more consistently at longer ranges than the SWCs. COAL stayed the same.
    I moved away from the single powder concept after coming into 24 lb of HPC-18 which I've been burning behind the #68s for a few years. I can get better velocity with the BD-acps using Bluedot, and I don't shoot so many of them that the cost is as much of a factor.
    Interesting old thread. Since the quoted post mentioned the BD Group Buys and I recall there were 2 or 3 variations, I wonder if there are others who use these boolits? Somehow I ended up with 2 molds and have only used one of them. My molds have the designation BD-45CM. About the only thing I remember is that the Honcho(?) requested an informal poll of which variation was most requested for the GB that I got my molds from. Since I didn't know a whole lot about any of them at the time, I held off expressing which I preferred until I could see which was preferred and why.

It would seem that this boolit would be a good load for self defense. Heavy and large meplat. I haven't resolved the "self cast vs store bought" for carry yet, so this is only an unsupported opinion.

I too am a big fan of H&G 68 style boolits and have 2 MP brass molds for that configuration. I do find that I have to seat to an OAL of 1.225" to get it to work in all my .45's.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of good answers here. My pick for "do-all" load would be a 200 gr. SWC driven to ~850 fps. This velocity range is where the 45 ACP shines.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 3.7 Clays beneath anything from 185 to 255 grains.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    This thread started in 2017 and there's some good info in here.

My 45 ACP world is divided between two periods with a long break in the middle. The early period was before I was casting and most of my loads consisted of bullets in the 230 grain range with a few 200 grain Speer "Flying Ashtray" (remember those? ) in the mix.
    I then left the 1911 platform while pursuing other adventures.
    When I returned to the 1911 I was casting and decided to look for that "All Around" load just like the OP on this thread.

I sought advice from members of this forum and one bullet was always near the top of the list - the 200 Gr SWC.

I was aware of the 200 grain SWC (H&G #68 style bullet) from my earlier days. I was a bit skeptical about the lower weight bullet because most of my experience was with the 230 gr bullets (although the old Speer 200 gr did feed in my pistols).
    The more I read about the 200 gr SWC, the more I respect I grained for it.
    I went with a SAECO #69 which is close in profile to the H&G #68. That bullet has proven to be an excellent 45 ACP bullet and I have no doubt that it could be called upon for a self-defense load or a target load. I would be hesitant to hollow point that bullet as is, because I think the HP cavity would drop the weight too much. If I wanted a HP version I would start with a heavier SWC and add HP pins so that the final weight was close to the 200 grains. Honestly, I don't think that bullet would need a HP to perform well. With enough speed and a soft alloy, that SWC bullet should get the job done.

So, we have a bullet that has a strong reputation for accuracy, that can be loaded at target velocities. That same bullet can be pushed faster if needed and it functions well in most 1911 platforms. It may fall a little short for hunting applications but I don't see the 45 ACP as a big game round anyway.

So that fits the criteria for an "all-around" bullet but this thread is about the All Around 45 ACP LOAD.

With WW231 and a 200gr LSWC, 5.2 grains is a good target load and 5.5 grs. is the max. So maybe somewhere in the middle there, depending on your pistol.
    With the same bullet and Bullseye, perhaps somewhere between 4 grains and 5 grains.

Banned
    After going back and reading posts #6 (Outpost75) & #7 (Gibson); I'm going to say that 5 grains of Bullseye under a H&G #68 style SWC is probable going to be "The All-Around Load".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    This thread started in 2017 and there's some good info in here.

My 45 ACP world is divided between two periods with a long break in the middle. The early period was before I was casting and most of my loads consisted of bullets in the 230 grain range with a few 200 grain Speer "Flying Ashtray" (remember those? ) in the mix.
    I then left the 1911 platform while pursuing other adventures.
    When I returned to the 1911 I was casting and decided to look for that "All Around" load just like the OP on this thread.

I sought advice from members of this forum and one bullet was always near the top of the list - the 200 Gr SWC.

I was aware of the 200 grain SWC (H&G #68 style bullet) from my earlier days. I was a bit skeptical about the lower weight bullet because most of my experience was with the 230 gr bullets (although the old Speer 200 gr did feed in my pistols).
    The more I read about the 200 gr SWC, the more I respect I grained for it.
    I went with a SAECO #69 which is close in profile to the H&G #68. That bullet has proven to be an excellent 45 ACP bullet and I have no doubt that it could be called upon for a self-defense load or a target load. I would be hesitant to hollow point that bullet as is, because I think the HP cavity would drop the weight too much. If I wanted a HP version I would start with a heavier SWC and add HP pins so that the final weight was close to the 200 grains. Honestly, I don't think that bullet would need a HP to perform well. With enough speed and a soft alloy, that SWC bullet should get the job done.

So, we have a bullet that has a strong reputation for accuracy, that can be loaded at target velocities. That same bullet can be pushed faster if needed and it functions well in most 1911 platforms. It may fall a little short for hunting applications but I don't see the 45 ACP as a big game round anyway.

So that fits the criteria for an "all-around" bullet but this thread is about the All Around 45 ACP LOAD.

With WW231 and a 200gr LSWC, 5.2 grains is a good target load and 5.5 grs. is the max. So maybe somewhere in the middle there, depending on your pistol.
    With the same bullet and Bullseye, perhaps somewhere between 4 grains and 5 grains.
    Actually the maximum load with a lead semi wad cutter is 6.0 gr of 231 using a 452460 mold and 6.1 gr of 231 using a 452630 mold. Either bullet will shoot very accurately above 5.5 gr of 231 up to the max that I listed.

Banned
    I was quoting old RCBS/Speer data but I'm sure you're right.

6bg6ga-- Your data appears to come from the Lyman loading manuals, correct?

Petrol & Powder---Your data is the same as what is posted on the Hodgdon data site.

Another case where different data sources end up with different load data.

Boolit Bub
    Here is another vote for the 452423 Keith bullet! I have used it in 1911's, a S&W 25-2 and a 625 Mt. Gun with very good success. I haven't used it in the 1911's for quite a while, but that may change in the near future. Unique was my go to powder back in the day. More recently, I have used it in the wheel guns with Power Pistol, and Herco. The bullet is happy from 700fps on up to around 1000fps, and remarkably accurate. It is also heavy enough to penetrate well on mid-sized game!

Boolit Buddy
    I like a big meplet when it comes to cast and hunting. My preference is the 230 FN by LBT. Accurate with most of the lead "out" of the case, forward of the case mouth, allowing more powder in the case and/or reduced pressures per Veral Smith. I can load it in my ACP (1911 or Ruger Bisley) or or my 45 LC for my Win 1873 or 1892 which is quite accurate with several powders giving sub 1" 5-shot groups at 50 yds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	230 LBT FN 45 ACP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	260213

alamogunr, I was the honcho for the BD45CM buy. I will gladly buy any extras anyone has sitting around. If that bullet over 6.0 gr. Unique won't do the job you need a 30-06.
    Tony

Boolit Master

As an added comment to my post 49, I finally got around to casting up a couple of hundred of a recent GB from Arsenal Molds. It is designated 452-230 WFN. This four cavity mold only took about six throws before it started producing very good boolits. I have a new 1911 that is going to get a workout if it ever stops raining and I can go to the range without encountering "social displeasure". Up to now I have mostly loaded H&G 68 style boolits that I mentioned in the referenced post. I'm referring to this thread for powder info. I have plenty of Bullseye, Red Dot(and Promo) and Unique. I might also acquire another powder if it looks promising. For now I'll keep watching this thread and the load manuals.
    John
    W.TN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast