WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: all around 45acp load

A word on heavier than nominal cast bullets in the 1911 pistol. I have for many years used Lyman 452423 in the 1911 pistol. I have killed all manner of game including Texas Whitetail deer with it. I would not hesitate to use it as a defense load either.

Since I have had DougGuy throat a Colt barrel I can seat the bullet out and achieve 100% reliable feeding. It is a good field load and defense load when pushed out the barrel by 4.5 - 4.7 grains of Bullseye. I will add a pic below with the difference in the OAL length between a throated and non-throated Colt barrel.

That said, these 245 grain Keith type SWCs are not the do-all bullet the OP is seeking. The slide speed and recoil impulse will make then hard on the pistol in continued regular use. I am not a believer in heavier than nominal recoil springs. My pistols have Wolfe 16.5V springs in them.

For this reason my vote goes to the 200 grain SWC for a do all everyday load, when pushed to the proper speed in a 1911 pistol. In a revolver these Keith SWCs and similar heavy bullets with a monster meplats are just the ticket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1315.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-30-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    A word on heavier than nominal cast bullets in the 1911 pistol. I have for many years used Lyman 452423 in the 1911 pistol. I have killed all manner of game including Texas Whitetail deer with it. I would not hesitate to use it as a defense load either.

Since I have had DougGuy throat a Colt barrel I can seat the bullet out and achieve 100% reliable feeding. It is a good field load and defense load when pushed out the barrel by 4.5 - 4.7 grains of Bullseye. I will add a pic below with the difference in the OAL length between a throated and non-throated Colt barrel.

That said, these 245 grain Keith type SWCs are not the do-all bullet the OP is seeking. The slide speed and recoil impulse will make then hard on the pistol in continued regular use. I am not a believer in heavier than nominal recoil springs. My pistols have Wolfe 16.5V springs in them.

For this reason my vote goes to the 200 grain SWC for a do all everyday load, when pushed to the proper speed in a 1911 pistol. In a revolver these Keith SWCs and similar heavy bullets with a monster meplats are just the ticket.
    Not to hijack the thread, but the RCBS 45 Cowboy, a 235 grain bullet, is excellent in the 45acp. I use it quite a bit.

Heavy hot loads beat your 1911 on one end and heavy recoil springs beat your 19911 on the other end! I couldn't agree with you more about heavy recoil springs. Do you run those shok-buffers?

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but the RCBS 45 Cowboy, a 235 grain bullet, is excellent in the 45acp. I use it quite a bit.

Heavy hot loads beat your 1911 on one end and heavy recoil springs beat your 19911 on the other end! I couldn't agree with you more about heavy recoil springs. Do you run those shok-buffers?
    I have had those shock buffers batter badly and tie up the pistol. I think I still have a dozen or so around here somewhere.

I am not a hot load fan either. About 1963 I was shooting some hot 200 grain SWC over a big dose of Unique in a Remington-Rand 1911A1 when the firing pin stop came out the the firing pin jump out as well. I picked up the parts out of the dirt, wiped them off, reinstalled them and continued shooting, but not with the hot loads. I suppose a tightly fitted stop might not do that, but I was cured.

Folks begin to try the RCBS Cowboy bullet shortly after it came out in the 1911 pistol with good results. Shortly we did a special order Lee six hole slightly modified version called the 45 BCM. I still have a never used on sitting on my shop shelf. Since then several mold maker like Accurate have produced similar bullets.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-30-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I have the Lee 452-230-TC non TL boolit. It feeds perfectly even in my hardball 1911. Accuracy is the same as with other cast boolits.
    I have never tried that combination in a hunting situation so cannot comment on it's effectiveness.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bd45_09.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	210700The "all around load" I used for 5 years or so was 4.8 grains of Titegroup. I left my Pro-Jector set up for .45acp and 4.8 grains of Titegroup which gave me 200 gr #68s that made "major" for action pistol and 230 grain BD-acp loads that worked well for killing critters, and flew much more consistently at longer ranges than the SWCs. COAL stayed the same.
    I moved away from the single powder concept after coming into 24 lb of HPC-18 which I've been burning behind the #68s for a few years. I can get better velocity with the BD-acps using Bluedot, and I don't shoot so many of them that the cost is as much of a factor.
    Last edited by BD; 12-30-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have had those shock buffers batter badly and tie up the pistol. I think I still have a dozen or so around here somewhere.

I am not a hot load fan either. About 1963 I was shooting some hot 200 grain SWC over a big dose of Unique in a Remington-Rand 1911A1 when the firing pin stop came out the the firing pin jump out as well. I picked up the parts out of the dirt, wiped them off, reinstalled them and continued shooting, but not with the hot loads. I suppose a tightly fitted stop might not do that, but I was cured.

Folks begin to try the RCBS Cowboy bullet shortly after it came out in the 1911 pistol with good results. Shortly we did a special order Lee six hole slightly modified version called the 45 BCM. I still have a never used on sitting on my shop shelf. Since then several mold maker like Accurate have produced similar bullets.
    Charles I know the earlier shok-buffs were made of a more rubbery material. The ones today are synthetic and believe I haven't been able to tear one up. Yes in personal defense if one tied the gun up it would be a serious thing. Thing is I only use them for target or plinking. Guess since deer and smaller animals aren't dangerous game using them wouldn't be serious if it tied up the gun.

Boolit Master
    My .45 acp go to load for years has been a 200 gr lswc with 5.7grs of unique. Iv'e run it through 1911's,p 220's,25-2's, a 625 even a marlin camp gun and a mectech carbine. The only gun I had a problem with was an xd for some reason they don't like swc shaped bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I Tried to like TiteGroup with cast bullets as it metered great and was very consistent on the chronograph in a number of handgun calibers. I thought it burned a little hot and It seemed I was always scraping a little lead out of the barrel. My favorite load for the ACP is now 5.3 grains of 231 under a 200 gr. Lswc. No more leading, meters great.

Boolit Buddy

Let me put in a good word for lighter bullets in the .45 ACP. I've shot a lot of commercial 155 grain, and my own cast 160 grain wad cutters with complete satisfaction, and my all time favorite .45 slug is the Accurate 45-185HB.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I don’t hunt with it, but my favorite load is a 200 SWC over 4.0 Red Dot, for a shade over 800 fps.
    I don't hunt with it but my press is set up for this load and I have no reason to change it. It has work well in every .45 I've tried it in, and that's been quite a few.

In my Remington-Rand 1911a1, Mihec's version of H&G 68 at 200 gr. with 5.2-5.3 gr Win 231 is a winner. ~800 fps I think. I chrono'd 5.4 of Win 231 at 823 fps in the same gun. The only game I've killed with it was a doe crippled in a car accident. From 10' it penetrated her fore head and lodged just under the skin in the neck. 6" or so. At less than 25 yds, I'd guess a .45 ACP would do for deer, but it would be far from my first choice. Rod

I love the Safeco 58 it feeds well in all my 1911's and with a meplat of .36 it lays a good smack on whatever it hits. At 215gr around 800fps it is also enjoyable to shoot. I had Tom at accuratemolds.com make me a 4 cavity mold and it will drain a pot in no time. How ever I also love the th 68 design but the bigger replay can do some amazing things

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	211110
    I run the HP version of the NOE copy of the H&G68 with 5gr of BE.
    This is shot in a 5" Kimber.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    Lee 452-200-SWC over 5.0 gr of Bullseye is my go to load.

I also like the Lee 452-160-RF over 9.4 gr of A #5. Fun and very accurate, it feeds great in my Auto Ordnance even though the OAL is quite short.

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 01-05-2018 at 01:42 AM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Lee 452-200 RF over 700x, does quite well, and is fun to shoot! Both .45’s love it. Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Waco, that's one good looking bullet. What alloy are you using and do you get expansion at .45 ACP speeds; say 800-850 fps? Also, if you don't mind, what's the mold number? Thx in advance, Rod

Banned

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_TL452-236-RF_(BB).Jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	211565

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post

I have the RCBS cowboy mold as well and it works in my 1911s just as well as my revolvers. I powder coat mine and load them over a near max load of unique.
    I don’t hunt with them since Nevada does not allow the 45acp to be used for large game animals. I can honestly say that they do well shooting through wet phone books though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    My vote is for the LBT LFN -230 5 grains of bullseye. Great all around combo

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_TL452-236-RF_(BB).Jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	211565

I like the looks of that one.

jd

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast