Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: how big is too big?

how big is too big?

I just got a mod. 94 30-30. I have a Lee 309-150F mold and 30 cal Gator checks. The checks seat fine on the boolits and running them through a Lee .314 sizing die crimps them on well. The boolits drop at .310 so I believe they would work "as cast", but I don't know if the check would give me trouble being so oversized. I haven't built any empty brass yet to try a dummy round.

I plan to get a .309 or .310 sizer, but I can't get one locally so I have to order online. I'm not in a hurry to blow up my gun..... just wondering if this would be useable as-is.

Boolit Buddy
    The problem you may have is with the as is check expanding the case neck too much. Your rifle may not allow the case to chamber if it's too big. Also the the check would act as a neck expander to the case. The only part holding tight will be the case neck to the gas check.
    n.h.schmidt

Yep, you're right!

I just got out today and shot a few rounds of factory ammo to get some empty brass. I jammed a .314 gas check equipped boolit down the case throat and decided that it would in no way work. Looked like a snake eating supper!

Proper sizer will be ordered before trying again.

Boolit Master
    Good to see you got it sorted out. Just for reference, I size my 30-30 boolits .311" like you I started doing this because I didn't have a .309" or .310" sizing die but had the .311" I've never looked back. I size all my .308" groove diameter boolits .311" no problems so far.

Motor