Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Does anyone make a 22LR single shot using a falling block action?

Does anyone make a 22LR single shot using a falling block action?

And if no one does do you think we could get someone (Henry?) interested in doing so?

They could sell it in other larger cartridges, from 22Hornet up to 45-70 without it costing what Miroku made 1885 reproductions,
    or a Ruger #1 or #3 sells for...

Boolit Master

browning and winchester have on and off over the years the 1895 low wall.

Yes, it's called a Stevens Favorite. The original is a collector's item but replicas have been produced. I assume they are still available(?)
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    CPA Corp sells the Stevens 44 1/2 replicas in a variety of cartridges, .22 being one of them. Not in the same league as Henry, for sure, but very nice rifles if you can afford one. What's kinda cool about them is you can get multiple barrels and chamberings for the same rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Yes, it's called a Stevens Favorite. The original is a collector's item but replicas have been produced. I assume they are still available(?)
    The Favorite is a very small and light boy's rifle, really. They are still cheap, at least in a condition for restoration. Larger and of better quality was the 44 Ideal, which so far as I know has never been reproduced. The one I am familiar with was the full-stocked Armory Model. A lot of them now have broken imitation screw-heads in the cross-pins, which are actually of large diameter with a tapered head, and the only screw is the short one which draws the pin in from the other end.

It was considered in the early days of competitive indoor rimfire shooting in the UK, and rejected for its trigger pull. But the intrinsic accuracy was exceptional, possibly because the action, actually a rolling block which looks like a falling block, pushes the bullet into the rifling. It was really made possible, in 1894, by the change to .22 rimfire with a crimped bullet, before which unloading an unfired round would have plucked out the case and left the bullet and powder.

It was also chambered for centrefire rounds such as the .44-40, which was safe only in the black powder days. The 44˝ is a much stronger action, similar-looking but a genuine falling-block, which is much stronger. You really don't need that in a rimfire.

Personally though, I would go for a near-modern BSA rimfire Martini, the Martini-International of the 1950s onwards for standard target shooting, but the earlier and more Martini-shaped ones if less formal shooting or rebarrelling as a sporting rifle was intended.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm kind of guessing that a falling block single shot 22 is more of a "nostalgic" thing than a practical thing when it comes to someone coming out with a whole new rifle to market. I still have my Dad's ole 1013 Stevens Favorite - I started out with it as a kid 55 or more years ago. I had one of the ones that I believe Savage made at one time? that was pretty much a copy of the Favorite. IIRC - Uberti makes a .22 rolling block. I doubt you'll ever see Henry make one - could be wrong - but dollar for dollar of what they would sell for, when compared with one of their lever 22s I think most would opt for the lever gun. I have one of their youth lever 22s - bought it because I could buy it right and even though its a youth model, it works just fine and is a neat rifle. Most younger folks today seem to be interested in guns that can waste a lot of ammo in a hurry - see it all the time at the ranges. I almost think that if a person wanted a falling block 22 single shot that they'd be better off looking for a good vintage one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    It's a Savage Favorite, a modern reproduction of the Stevens Favorite. They shoot well, too!

Banned

Stevens Crack Shot also

My Grandfather inherited his Uncle's Steven's favorite. The Uncle had been a school teacher and squirrel hunted with the rifle. It had been fitted with a small tube Weaver scope. The Uncle had lost an arm and would shoot the rifle one handed place it under the stump of his missing arm with the but forward and reload by dropping the block with his hand. Supposedly he was quite a good shot with the little rifle and could reload it quickly. I got to put a few CB caps through it and clean it. My cousin has it now.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I cant imagine anyone making a modern single shot 22 that could even come close to the quality of a 80 to 100 year old BSA Martini actioned 22.You can get one in good condition with very nice peep sights for a lot less than what it would cost to make a modern version.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

The first .22 I ever handled was a Remington youth model 6 rolling block. It belonged to my grandfather. Somewhere along the line, it slipped away.
    The ones I see for sale look like hammered fecal matter and they're asking way too much for them even if they were in good shape.
    Perhaps I'll just make my own . . . .

Boolit Master
    Hannibal, a few years back I was at a gun show and a man in front of me picked a refinished Remington Model 6 up and proceeded to inform, loudly, everyone at the table how horrible it was that such a gun had been refinished and reblued. After a few minutes he put it down, walked to the next table and repeated the process.

I picked that baby rolling block up, saw it was tagged for $125. I asked the seller a few questions about it, then asked what would it be worth to him to not have to put up with another know it all blowhard. He asked me what I would use that rifle for... I explained I had a son and a couple nephews that needed to learn to shoot. I also wanted the Savage 342 in 22 Hornet he had next to it. Short answer is I came home with a little less cash, two old rifles, and a box of other goodies including this man's name and contact info. I see him every year at the local gun shows and have bought several other guns from him.

That Hornet is currently 5 feet away from me, and has easily become one of my favorite small caliber guns. The Remmy Roller isn't at my house right now. After teaching my son how to shoot it, I loaned it to my brother in law to teach his two boys. I'm sure it will wander back in a couple more years when the younger one steps up to a centerfire. But by then my wife and I should be expecting our first grandkids, so I'm certain it will get more use.

Nice little rifles, and this one is more than happy to still be useful at 115 years old. So, keep looking, they are out there...

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I thought Pedersoli did, but can’t seem to find it. Here’s the link to them. Could get the .357 and load er down…
    https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tip...ing-block.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    All I know of is a Chiappa "Little Sharps" for a falling block .22lr. Pricy at $1300 list. But really cool looking !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Savage/Stevens made the Favorite until recently, they called it Model 30.
    It was .22LR, 22Mag, and 17hmr.

Boolit Grand Master

The Cimarron Low Wall copy is in 22 22 mag and 22 hornet.

Boolit Master

This thread reminds me of the Savage/Stevens my dad picked up when I was in high school. He got it out of nostalgia for one he shot as a kid.

I remember my best friend back then went on about what a pointless thing a single shot antique reproduction .22 was in those modern times.

I took it with me when we went camping one time. For some reason, he wound up picking it up and plinking a shot off with it. He could never put it down after that. It was really something that the gun's #1 critic became obsessed with it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Here is an OLD one that SOMEONE re-chambered for 22MRF, probably using a hand-held 1/4" drill, so unsafe! It has been hanging in my work/storeroom for decades, as witnessed by the rust!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	210724
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Used to see the handgun version of these when I started in hunter's silhouette. It took a bit to remember him.

https://www.eabco.net/Made-to-Order-...-_p_14094.html

Pricey but shoot really good.