Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Phase 1 Reloading Bench

Phase 1 Reloading Bench

I got the top on tonight so phase 1 of my bench rebuild is complete. I need to build a support for the end since I opted to go a full 8 foot on the top. I'm thinking of a cabinet to hold my 3 MEC presses. A while back someone nearby redid their kitchen and I managed to get 3 free cabinet bases that were in good condition. Next is removing some shelves above the bench and building a upper cabinet to match the 8 foot counter top. I'm planning on under cabinet lights and plugs since there is not enough plugs nearby. On the Wall beside it I have a small flat panel TV that will go there to be a monitor for a Raspberry PI so I can look up loads and such from the bench.

Now to unload the boxes stored around it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bench.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	210579
    Last edited by Boolit_Head; 12-29-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    You have a nice start and a plan. You know that you will tweak that plan as you go and in the end it will look a little different than the plan but will be just what you want. I agree about the outlets and lighting. There is never enough of either and as we get older brighter is better... Good luck and please keep us updated with progress reports...

Probably the last time the bench will be this clean.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Boolit Bub
    I tried to take picture of my bench but couldn't find a place to put all the stuff that was in the way so you could see anything. I need a bench to hold my bench clutter.

Oh mine does not look like that anymore since it got loaded up! Still organizing stuff so it's pretty much covered right now. Got to pull the top off again to repair some sheet rock tape in the corner and then I can get it screwed down and start on the upper cabinets and extra support. Looks like I may be getting a lucrative monthly gig on the side so the uppers are getting put on the back burner.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking bench! A "lucrative monthly gig" sounds like a good way to get ahead. Good Luck in mixing the extra work in with working on your bench. Been there and done that!

Instead of building a support for the end you might consider moving one of the cabinets to the end and mounting the press above the "knee hole" between the cabinets. That will give you space on both sides of the press for components.

I think I would have a hard time working at the end of the bench.

If that is a kitchen type countertop you should glue 3/4 plywood underneath for reenforcement.

No it's a custom counter top I made. It's a full 1.5 inches thick, completely solid, and takes two men to pick it up. You can pound on it and nothing moves on the bench though. The cabinets had to be kicked out from the back wall with a spacer to get over the lip of the slab so it would have been a pain to align them separated the floor nor the wall is not exactly straight. I wanted the presses on the far right so the left would have a vise for light smithing and between a sort of work space. There are 6 presses in all so a knee hole would not have cut it. Three are usually on a bench at one time. I also have a portable that had one of the lee presses and trimmers and a few other things. I might mount the Mec's in the portable.

Good solid top is the way to go. I've got a steel plate mortised into my plank bench. It's been drilled and tapped for all my presses - two Dillon's, Rockchucker, Lyman T-mag, 5 MEC's and a LAM 2. One on the bench at a time means I have one powder/primer combo on the bench at a time. Helps me not put wrong stuff in the wrong case. I need all the help I can get to keep from blowing my self up��

The upside is when not loading I have a clear bench top for "other" stuff.

I chose to bolt each press down individually as needed as opposed to the various modular mounts, I think they are more solidly mounted. Convert 300 Weatherby back to 300 H&H and you'll want all the solid you can get!

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	211702

As you can see I did something similar with 2 base cabinets that were given to me. What you see is a mockup. The cabinets were reversed and the small desk under the top was removed. This works very well for me as I have to sit when I load because of problems with my legs.

Boolit Bub
    I remember having a loading bench in the reloading room. It may still be there "under the mess". LOL

Boolit Master
    I converted a chest of drawers to smaller drawers for all that little stuff. I hate looking for STUFF in one large drawer. I made simple drawers 9.5" wide x 16" long x 4" deep. Punches and hammers in a drawer, star dies lube in another drawer, screwdrivers in another, files in another, Dillon ..... you get the picture. Mine is tucked back under the bench so I can leave a drawer open and not crack my leg/knee on it. I have a gap between the drawer cabinet and the overhang so I can stack ammo cans with anything I want sealed from moisture

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Good solid top is the way to go. I've got a steel plate mortised into my plank bench. It's been drilled and tapped for all my presses - two Dillon's, Rockchucker, Lyman T-mag, 5 MEC's and a LAM 2. One on the bench at a time means I have one powder/primer combo on the bench at a time. Helps me not put wrong stuff in the wrong case. I need all the help I can get to keep from blowing my self up��

The upside is when not loading I have a clear bench top for "other" stuff.

I chose to bolt each press down individually as needed as opposed to the various modular mounts, I think they are more solidly mounted. Convert 300 Weatherby back to 300 H&H and you'll want all the solid you can get!
    My mounting plate:

Name:	mounting plate.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	213833

When I want I can have a completely clean flat bench for "other" stuff. And the back of the plate where it is not drilled and tapped makes a great anvil for those items that need a little more convincing to go together or to come apart.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=15meter;4258519]Instead of building a support for the end you might consider moving one of the cabinets to the end and mounting the press above the "knee hole" between the cabinets. That will give you space on both sides of the press for components.

I had the same idea when I saw the pic.