Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting accuracy from fast twist (1-10) barrel at full jacketed velocity?

Boolit Master

Hunting accuracy from fast twist (1-10) barrel at full jacketed velocity?

Who has successfully gotten usable hunting accuracy (especially past 100 yards) at full jacketed velocity? I want to hear about it: cartridge, boolit, velocity, accuracy.

I tried a little paper patching several years ago. I gave up on it, but looking at my load notes, it appears that I may have been close to what I was looking for. Anyway, I just obtained a new 30-06, and my interest in finding a high velocity pp load for it (for hunting purposes) has been renewed. But I'm kinda wondering how many people have actually found a stable load with usable accuracy.

If I can't reasonably obtain what I want at full jacketed velocity then I might as well go the regular cast method.

Thanks for your input!

Banned

outdoorfan as much as I like high velocity cast loads they are a poor choice for hunting any game other then varmints due to their explosive performance. Now if you knew for sure that you'd be shooting at your game only at a long distance that the velocity dropped to the more reason game taking speed then it would be okay. Even around 1800 fps a soft cast bullet does a lot of damage and that's bad if you want more meat for your supper table. Try loading some lower velocity loads and test them out and you'll see what I mean.

Boolit Master
    I hear ya. What I have in mind is 50/50 ww/soft wd'ed for around 20 bhn. I would then anneal the noses for good expansion at lower velocity, but hopefully still retain good game-taking performance at strike velocities of maybe 2400-2500 fps. Of course, this would be with a 180+ grain boolit, so sectional density would be good.

When I had my last '06, I ran a 200 grain spitzer at 2400 fps (not paper-patched), but I never tested it in water jugs to see what it was doing. I did shoot deer at 100-230 yards with good performance.

Boolit Master
    What's full jacketed velocity? If you are talking about round-nosed bullets of around 220 gr. at around 1900ft./sec. in the early .30 calibre jacketed-bullet rifles, it isn't too difficult to duplicate a performance that has been successfully used on just about every big game on earth. I wouldn't argue against paper patching being the best way to do it. If you are talking about the much higher velocities subsequently achieved with jacketed bullets, performance is likely to be difficult and erratic. If one bullet in a hundred malfunctions, it will be the game head or match-winning shot of a lifetime.

If paper-patched bullets really could equal jacketed at the higher velocities, don't you think some bullet company would have devised a mass-producible and probably patentable way of doing something similar? Even heat-shrink Teflon tubing would do a splendid job, if it was only consistent enough in thickness to preserve concentricity of mass. It is a point worth keeping an eye on. But a few years back I bought several brands and found them too uneven in thickness.

A hard alloy is likely to break up where a softer one would mushroom, and a hollow point is likely to turn into a cylinder and numerous small fragments. I never got around to shooting game with a .40-82 bullet cast with a strip of aluminium foil in the nose, leaving the first ⅛in. or shade less connected and the following ⅜in. split, duplicating the old cigarette paper dodge. But it held together in flight well when tested on targets, and I think it would produce a forked bullet in malleable alloy and three usefully sized chunks in a hard one.

Boolit Master
    Full jacketed in my mind is ~2700 fps from a 180 grainer in 30-06. Maybe 2500-2550 from a 200 grainer.

For the 303 Brit, I had a workable paper patched boolit that I designed for use on small game as well as feral pig. The only small game I shot with it were turkey and it worked very well for that. Performance was great. Full penetration of course - it's kinda hard to stop a 230 gr boolit! Actually, I shot turkey with two boolit designs the second being a 208gr round nose hollow point.

The dual purpose boolit had a huge cup shaped hollow in the nose with a thin rim, the idea being that on pig it would present a flat nose while on turkey or rabbit it would present a mushroom. The latter part worked but wasn't necessary as the round nose with a small hollow in the nose demonstrated. That hollow nose was from the nose pour system I was using. The reason for such heavy 208 gr was to fill the throat of the rifle with the idea that it would be more accurate than a shorter boolit. That plus it develops full pressure for a lower velocity. A lower velocity heavy would be expected to perform better with limited expansion and good penetration even if the boolit were to over expand. That was the theory anyway. Test tube tests did confirm that.

Since then I have made lighter boolits at 194 grs that work just fine. I also have a 167 gr that seems to be fine and I have tested a 147 gr subsonic boolit that was pretty accurate. I also dropped the hollow nose although my casting method now calls for a return to the hollow nose - it's just a function of the nose pour funnel.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 12-29-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    I hear ya. What I have in mind is 50/50 ww/soft wd'ed for around 20 bhn. I would then anneal the noses for good expansion at lower velocity, but hopefully still retain good game-taking performance at strike velocities of maybe 2400-2500 fps. Of course, this would be with a 180+ grain boolit, so sectional density would be good.

When I had my last '06, I ran a 200 grain spitzer at 2400 fps (not paper-patched), but I never tested it in water jugs to see what it was doing. I did shoot deer at 100-230 yards with good performance.
    I shoot a 180 grain cast bullet from my various 308's. It's the Mihec 30 Silhouette. I won't hunt with it cast from 50/50 WD because it has a rather pointed nose and is too hard in my opinion. I feel it would shoot through a deer as though it were cast of Linotype. But now Mihec has that bullet with a very small hollow point, so small I thought it not to be benificial that is until I tried some on water jugs at 300 yards in comparison with the solid noses. Big difference. Mihec also makes a mold for one called the 30 caliber hunting bullet with a much larger hollow point. It's devastating.

I too consider full house loads in the 06 at the tail end of the 2000 fps.

Boolit Master
    I will have to go to Miha's website to check out that boolit you are referring to.

As to the 50/50 wd'ed alloy, it's really easy to stand the boolits in some water and torch anneal the noses for the few boolits you want to launch at game. Of course, I understand most people don't want to do this.

Boolit Master
    My load notes from 2009 show that I initially tested (very briefly) .004 computer paper with the 196 gr LBT spitzer that I was using at that time. With H4350 at shot charges between 50-54 grains in one shot increments, velocities were from 2,368-2550. 3-shot groups were between 9/16 and 1 13/16.

I don't know why I didn't continue there. What was I thinking?!

Boolit Master
    After looking at that 180 MP silhouette, it looks like about a .1 meplat, which is what that LBT spitzer had. With the annealed noses, expansion was not a problem at over 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    To see the benefit of paper patching. There is a technique needing to be followed. Any deviation. "You won't be pleased with your results."

Boolit Master
    Right on.

Banned

After looking at that 180 MP silhouette, it looks like about a .1 meplat, which is what that LBT spitzer had. With the annealed noses, expansion was not a problem at over 200 yards.
    BTW the first 180 Sil was cut by BaBore and it may have very well weighed 180 fully dressed, that is gascheck and lube, but the molds from Mihec throw a bullet that is about in the 172 range naked with 50/50 alloy. Just thought I'd mention that. Were you able to find that 308 hunting bullet? It appears at first glance to look like a 30 Sil with a large hollow point, but it is in fact a little different.

Banned

Here's a link to the 308 hollow point hunting bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hunting+bullet

Here's Miha's website link for that bullet.

https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...-hunting-hp-gc

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that link. I did look over that hunting bullet really well. It is my opinion that in the 30 caliber bore, it is better to have heavy for caliber. I would feel a little bit differently in the 35 bore going with a lighter bullet because there's more width to withstand the impact of bone or whatever when hunting. I think I'm just a little uncomfortable with anything under about 180 grains in the 30 bore when pushed to the velocities that I want to push them too.

Boolit Master
    My new rifle is still at the gunsmith getting some added touches on it. He is going to cerrosafe the chamber for me to figure out what the dimensions are. I may end up having to throat it out a little bit to accept a longer bullet, but we'll see. I don't care for the bore riding concept, so I try to avoid that. But we'll see what happens.

Banned

Thanks for that link. I did look over that hunting bullet really well. It is my opinion that in the 30 caliber bore, it is better to have heavy for caliber. I would feel a little bit differently in the 35 bore going with a lighter bullet because there's more width to withstand the impact of bone or whatever when hunting. I think I'm just a little uncomfortable with anything under about 180 grains in the 30 bore when pushed to the velocities that I want to push them too.
    You are correct in what you said about a heavier bullet. Now if we're dealing with the original 30-06 with a 10 twist it was designed originally for a 220 grain bullet. With that said I've found generally that the 06 prefers the longer heavier bullets. That is not to say it won't shoot the lighter shorter ones well.

In your next post you mentioned that your gunsmith is going to make a cerosafe cast of your throat in your new rifle. You do know that you have to mic cerosafe as soon as possible because after a while it's dimensions change. You might be advised to make a pound cast of the throat using as pure lead you have. Back to the cerosafe mic it right away and write down the measures because like I mentioned it changes dimensions after a period of time. Sorry about being reduntant about it.

Super Moderator

Hi outdoorfan,

I use this boolit from accurate http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=30-190P-D.png It is designed for paper patching, and Iv'e been shooting it in a stock M700 30-06 with more than just acceptable results. I size to .301 and double wrap with green bar printer paper. I then lightly lube the patch with White Label BAC, and size again to .310. Iv'e been using just range scrap alloy for this which is dead soft. My powder of choice is Winchester 760. Other slow powders worked well too, but I settled on 760 for my loads. I started with the minimum jacketed charge for the weight, and worked up. I pretty much followed P-Dawgs instructions in the stickies here and it worked out well for me. The boolit does not blow up on game, and is very, very accurate. And yes, it gives velocities "close" to jacketed full velocity loads. Obviously there are more than a few ways to skin this cat, but this has worked well for me in my rifle. Sounds like you were on the right track before, so you will realize that some experimentation (boolit diameter and patch thickness) will be necessary to achieve what your'e looking for.

Boolit Master
    I was aware it shrinks, but I assumed the 'smith knows what he's doing to figure the correct dimensions in a proper manner. Who knows. I'll inquire further with him on that. I agree a pure lead chamber cast is probably best. I might end up doing that anyway. My mindset was that I didn't want to go pounding on this new Kimber, but I may have to. LOL!

I'm sure the lighter bullets (boolits) will shoot great, and I intend to have a practice load using a lighter boolit around 1600-1800 fps, but I want my business load to be heavy and fast enough. We'll see. Who knows. I'm a long way from getting where I want to be. LOL!

Banned

I was aware it shrinks, but I assumed the 'smith knows what he's doing to figure the correct dimensions in a proper manner. Who knows. I'll inquire further with him on that. I agree a pure lead chamber cast is probably best. I might end up doing that anyway. My mindset was that I didn't want to go pounding on this new Kimber, but I may have to. LOL!

I'm sure the lighter bullets (boolits) will shoot great, and I intend to have a practice load using a lighter boolit around 1600-1800 fps, but I want my business load to be heavy and fast enough. We'll see. Who knows. I'm a long way from getting where I want to be. LOL!
    Yes good idea to mention about the shrinkage of cerosafe to him. Hey in all reality you're really not pounding hard on your rifle to make a pound cast. If you are you're pounding too hard or using too big of a hammer. PM me and I'll explain the better way to do a pound cast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast