Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case activated powder drops

Boolit Man

Case activated powder drops

Any members using one, and if so what brand? I know both RCBS and Hornday mame them. Which one works?
    Thanks Mike

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I use the hornady on both there measure and an rcbs measure works great

Boolit Man
    Hi Preacher, and thank you. Can you post a picture of your measure set up with this?
    As far as the actual powder die are you using a dillon rcbs or hornaday to trip the drop?
    Thanks Mike

In Remembrance

The nylon center used on the Hornady Pro-Jector auto powder drop wore out with the actuation rod running up thru it for every handle pull. I made a replacement nylon center piece, but it lasted about as long as the factory piece before it also was worn ou (oblong wearing of the center hole)t and the actuation rod would stick in the up stroke and not drop powder. I used this unit 1 Summer before taking it off the press and went back to hand operation of the powder handle.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Ive used the Dillon measures for years on pistol rounds. They work very good for me. I have used the lees also and they arnt bad. The press actuated measures make things go faster for me when loading large batches,
    One big benefit to the case / press actuated measures is the consitancy they are operated at with the press. Speed force and "bump" are much easier to maintain the same every time. WIth powder measures consistancy of operation is important for accurate results.

Boolit Master
    I have been using the Lee Auto Drum since they first came out with excellent results. I have two of them, one on my turret and one one the Loadmaster. They have been as accurate as any other measure I've used in the last 30+ years, but if they have one drawback is that with real fine powders they leak which is real annoying. So I just don't use these types with it, I'll use either the Lee Perfect Powder Measure or my Lyman55. I really like the ability to have preset drums for all the different loads I use.

Boolit Master

I have four Quick-Measures. They are pricey, but work well. One is for the Dillon, one for regular use, one for BP, and a large BP measure for the cannon (it measures 1/2oz per drop).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0407 copy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	210650

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0759 copy.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	210651
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 12-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy

Hornady's lock & Load E-Z Ject Press & powder drop system works great! ( 9mm-45 ACP-38-357 & 380)
    With Jacketed and my cast bullets.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Mike just saw you request send email address by pm and I can send pictures. I use hornady set up for both measures I have the expander funnels but just use the drops I like to use separate expander dies that way I do not have to change anything on drop.

I have been using a Hornady L&L AP press with their case activated L&L powder measure for quite a few years now. The measure is all metal with no nylon parts and is accurate, reliable and trouble free. Small and large metering inserts are available for pistol and rifle. Easily changed and inexpensive. Check the Hornady web site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1843.jpg  

I have used Dillon, Hornady, RCBS and Lee, they all work.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine are Lee, two different types, and Dillons. They all worn as advertised. The Dillons don't leak any powder. The Lees leak powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    The nylon center used on the Hornady Pro-Jector auto powder drop wore out with the actuation rod running up thru it for every handle pull. I made a replacement nylon center piece, but it lasted about as long as the factory piece before it also was worn ou (oblong wearing of the center hole)t and the actuation rod would stick in the up stroke and not drop powder. I used this unit 1 Summer before taking it off the press and went back to hand operation of the powder handle.Robert

Are you talking about the bushing that gets clamped into the center hole of the press? At some point Hornady made those bushings out of aluminum as mine came with an aluminum one and so far hasn't worn enough to cause an issue.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Hardcastle i switched my projector from rod to new drop system and use rcbs measure on it works great I made a brass bushing years ago then changed to new system have all shell plates so I keep it running.

Boolit Master
    The aluminum center bushing on my Pro-Jector got pretty worn after a couple hundred thousand rounds and I had a local guy make me a replacement out of brass which worked well for another 50,000 rounds or so when I fell for the Hornady trade up deal and went with the L-N-L. The case activated drop on the L-N-L along with a powder cop die have pretty much eliminated squibs which occurred in the Pro-Jector from time to time, particularly in very cold weather.

Boolit Bub
    I use the Hornady one. No nylon part in there on mine. works great.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a RCBS, Dillon, Lee PPM and Lee disc auto drops.
    I've only used the Lee.
    It's consistent enough. Leaks a little with some powders, but nothing bad. Smaller than the other two.
    More work to change the weight, but I got used to doing it. Easy to change powder.
    Seems to work well enough for me, so I just keep on using it.
    I've tried the Lee PPM in auto drop. It works good, but sometimes sticks. I may just be doing it wrong.
    Measures well when it dosen't stick.
    The other two are on the presses that I've not tried to use yet.
    Maybe some day I'll get around to trying them.
    The Lee is cheaper than the others.
    Might want to give them a try.
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 12-31-2017 at 04:00 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I have used RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, and Lee Pro Auto disc and new Lee Auto Drum. All work well but the Lee Auto Drum is by far the best at handling extruded powders accurately. For finer powders RCBS and Hornady are best they don't leak.

Boolit Master

I have the RCBS Uniflow with a micrometer adjustment knob, and I highly recommend it. Mine is fitted with a small metering drum, so I use it for handgun up through 223 for progressive loading. I will get a second assembly with a large drum so that can quickly swap to charge large rifle case. Steel and iron construction. No plastic except the hopper itself.

The micrometer adjustment knobs are great for returning quickly to a prior charge weight. One other great benefit of this mechanism is when done, remove a single thumb screw. Simply lift the hopper out of the die and pour the powder back into the container.

Of course the case-activated dispensers hab the same limitations for dispensing stubborn extruded powders and 800-X. For those I use a standalone Uniflow to drop-and-trickle charges.

Boolit Bub
    Summers in N.E. PA, Winters in Central Florida
    I use only the Lee Auto Disc measures, and have a bunch of them-- A few that I got with my (then) new Pro 1000 Progressive press, had a real crazy beaded chain activator, to prevent double charging, but I tore those dumb things off my measures and bought the old reliable springs and levers that came on the earlier measures.
    A few posters have said that they get leakage with very fine powders, but I don't seem to have that problem, because I use Lee's "Micro Disc" adjustable charge bars, and they don't seem to leak as bad as the charging discs with several holes in them. They are also MUCH quicker to make adjustments with, and you don't have to remove the powder hopper to change the round discs, to change your charges. My Lee discs have been gathering dust for years, never use them!
    The only down side to the Lee adjustable Micro discs is the powder charge capacity is limited and it won't throw large charges, but with the mini insert I can even load charges for my .25 ACP cases! IMHO, Lee sure gives you your money's worth, on their products, even tho I own Lyman, Herters, RCBS, Redding, and other maker's stuff, 90% of my loading is with Lee equipment.
    Fred (Honcho)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast