ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionGraf & SonsInline Fabrication

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hardest/most elaborate case conversion you did?

Boolit Bub
    Not me but Warner Tool is making a 375 based on a 50bmg. I talked to him and it take 16 steps for the finished case. Too much work for me.

hardest re-form i've done is 30-06 crimp mouth blanks into 257roberts. i use a 12 step proccess to achieve shootable brass. first is trim off most of the neck in the forster trimmer adapted to a drill. then with 6, 7/8" machine bushings (local hardware store) between the press and lock nut of th FL die with expander and no decap pin then when all pcs of the batch have been through this stage take one bushing out do it again. once all the bushings have been removed put the decap pin back in, deprime then its off to the forster trimmer for final length and then to the othe forster rigged in neck turning.
    by the by do take the time to look for dents developing in the shoulder/neck at each stage of the forming.
    i form in 77rnd batches and using this bushing method i still have 70 of the original 77 that can now be fire formed to the chamber. single push forming like some people do renders 95% failure rate for me, just my 5 cents worth
    Last edited by Littlewolf; 03-24-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: type-o

For physical effort, converting 300 Weatherby magnums to 300 H&H takes the most muscle. In the die an eighth of an inch--or less with both hands, back out, turn case a eighth turn, try again about every third try, more imperial wax and keep going. Anneal when all done.

I use a Rockchucker bolted to a half inch thick, six inch wide by 18 inch long steel plate morticed into the bench top with a matching steel backing plate underneath. The bench is anchored to 4x6 posts on each end that go four feet into the ground. There have been times I thought that may not have been beefy enough.

Boolit Master
    Wow!
    My "Bench" is a 8'x2'x1" thick table top made from two layers of 1/2" marine Plywood glued and screwed together and supported on two Tubular formed folding Table Leg assemblies.
    My Press is "C Clamped" to the Table edge near one support leg attachment.
    The Original 'RCBS JR-3' Press use the same top of stroke and then screw the die in and repeat to Form my first sets of .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens cases; until the JR-3 Ram to lever pivot pin sheared. I was using both hands and standing to get most of my Body Mass onto the straight grip JR-3 Handle and my table top was Flexing down under the forces involved.

I purchased A used 'RCBS RC' press and then fitted it with a New handle (about 4" longer and with a Ball Shaped grip) from an "Ammomaster II".
    The Single stage .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens process Effort became less and my yield went up while the Table top[ Flexing went down.

Changing to Multiple swaging steps Greatly improve my yield further; and now, with multiple step swaging and 5.7x28mm Starting cases. it is a relatively easy 'one arm while sitting' effort that is yielding almost 100 percent successful formed cases.

My current process Starts with Once Fired 5.7x28mm brass that I decap and then expand the neck and shoulder with a .250" diameter Expander.
    I then change the Shell holder out for a RCBS Small Primer Pocket Swaging Kit Punch, Stripper Cup, and a 3/16" ID Fender Washer spacer and my first stage swaging die and run the cases into it until the top of the rim touches the mouth of the die.
    To remove the case from the die I use a Modified Long 3/16 Pin Punch and a 20 oz Hammer.
    I repeat the above with each succeeding swaging die until the case body is down final size.

This leaves me with cases that are about 1.230" to 1.260" long depending upon the production age of the cases with older ones yielding longer formed length.
    The flash holes are also swaged smaller so need to be drilled out and deburred after drilling. I use a 5/64"(.078") drill bit; and a long body center drill to deburr the hole at both ends.

My Final Preparation Steps are to trim to the desired length and champfer the inside edge case mouth, then 'bell' the mouth slightly to ease bullet seating later.

Chev. William

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234