RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder horn

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Powder horn

Making trade goods for the spring. Also trying to figure out my photo processing on this machine. Hope it works!
    This is a French and Indian Wars/ Pre-Revolutionary War type. The design is the coat of arms of George III.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC000653.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	210557

Name:	DSC00063horn.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	210558

Name:	DSC00068.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	210559
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Awesome powder horn!

Boolit Master

if it does not impede on your sales, I would love to see a write up of how you make those.

Boolit Master
    Superb!
    I would like to have the skill to make one with my family coat of arms.
    Dibs if you make it big lol.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    if it does not impede on your sales, I would love to see a write up of how you make those.

There are some good instruction books out now on how to do it. Scott Sibley has a good instruction book available through Amazon. When I did my first one 40 years ago, I didn't have a clue. I met Scott around 35 years ago, when he was just getting started in the horn business. His book gives a better description than I would be able to give you.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Superb!
    I would like to have the skill to make one with my family coat of arms.
    Dibs if you make it big lol.
    I could most likely do one with your coat of arms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I could most likely do one with your coat of arms.
    That would be a keepsake for sure/Ed

Beautiful Horn Waksupi!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Looks beautiful Ric! How much powder do you think it will hold?

Boolit Buddy

Nice horn Ric....like much of the work you do, it's top notch!

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Looks beautiful Ric! How much powder do you think it will hold?
    I'm thinking pretty close to a pound.

Boolit Master

Nice looking horn. thanks for the look at it!

Thank you for sharing this with us. your work is excellent.

Banned

great work as usual, ric.

You're definitely a horner, Ric !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Some time in the distant past, I read an article on powder horn scrimshaw in Muzzleloader Magazine. I managed to get my hands on some dye to rub into the scratch marks and made a horn for a guy who owns a winemaking outfit in the Santa Cruz mountains of Kalifonistanzikhan. It involved transferring a pattern using tracing paper but it has been so long ago that I forgot how I did it. The horn turned out great and it hangs over his fireplace now. It was a copy of his wine label. Any ideas on a technique like that Waksupi?

I kind of surprised myself with how nice it turned out and it didn't require much artistic talent on my part. Your work shows artistic talent where my success was more like a "paint by numbers" sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Some time in the distant past, I read an article on powder horn scrimshaw in Muzzleloader Magazine. I managed to get my hands on some dye to rub into the scratch marks and made a horn for a guy who owns a winemaking outfit in the Santa Cruz mountains of Kalifonistanzikhan. It involved transferring a pattern using tracing paper but it has been so long ago that I forgot how I did it. The horn turned out great and it hangs over his fireplace now. It was a copy of his wine label. Any ideas on a technique like that Waksupi?

I kind of surprised myself with how nice it turned out and it didn't require much artistic talent on my part. Your work shows artistic talent where my success was more like a "paint by numbers" sort of thing.
    I cannot imagine doing it off tracing paper. I would think that trying to put a flat image to a curved and tapering horn would be a challenge! I have enough trouble with the art doing it free-hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    it's beautiful
    I have a buffalo horn I want to make into
    a powder horn
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    keep it up b-cause your skill is going the way of the DINOSAUR! it is truly a work of art!.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I cannot imagine doing it off tracing paper. I would think that trying to put a flat image to a curved and tapering horn would be a challenge! I have enough trouble with the art doing it free-hand.
    Yeah, funny that I don't remember a thing about how I got that design transferred. It was in the bigger end of the horn. I'm not any sort of an artist by any stretch of imagination. It'll come to me someday I reckon. They say the first thing to go is...is...whatever it was!