Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 Savage , what cast bullet?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Thanks...The shot was around 125 yds. I took him in Arizona Unit 8, the southern end down by the Verde River headwaters. He's a 5x5.
    Looks like he'd score125 or maybe a little more.

Boolit Buddy
    The old Ideal 311414/ 150 gr. bullet was designed for the 300 Savage. It also works
    well in the 7.5x55 swiss. I think NOE is making a copy of this mold.

Boolit Master
    I used the 31141 for the last deer I took with my 99G. Used 44 grains of H-4831 which pushed it along 2080 fps out of the 24" barrel. Deer was probably 50 yards away broadside and made the 10 step death dash. The lungs had 2" holes through them.

All good suggestions to which I'll add the SAECO #316, a 150 grain in linotype, but typically 160 nekkid from my alloy.
    The Ranch Dog 165 might need to be seated a bit deep due to short throated 300 savage, but the 31141 is a bit more forgiving.
    The SAECO advantage is that is casts large from my ancient 4 cavity, slightly sizing in a .312 die. This allows adjustment to fit odd or worn bores. The bullet has a more rounded meplat than either RD or Lyman, and an ogive that seems to feed in everything.
    I normally size to .310 and they work in a splendid manner in every .30 cal variant I own, Marlins (old ballard and microgroove), Savages 99s and bolt 340s, T/Cs, 300 Blackout and even Spanish Mausers in 308W.
    I don't weigh bullets from this mold anymore, as I've never found more than .5 g variance between cavities.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    The old Ideal 311414/ 150 gr. bullet was designed for the 300 Savage. It also works
    well in the 7.5x55 swiss. I think NOE is making a copy of this mold.
    I think I have an old 311414 mold around somewhere, did not realize it was a design with the .300 Savage in mind. Too pointy for hunting, which is probably why I haven't messed with it, but might be fun to shoot and could possibly be hollow or soft pointed to make it work.

It has been my experience with 99s that they are not finicky about what will feed and I haven't had any trouble with them feeding blunt nose designs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12