Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

Banned
    I saw my first Ruger 9mm carbine yesterday at Wild Bills in Elk Grove CA. I handled it and looked it over. It felt fat and chunky and a little heavy. It fit to my shoulder well and I like the ghost ring rear sight.

It seemed that I had to tuck my head down a little lower to align the sights than I do on my Marlin. Overall it was okay but they were asking $749 for it.

I thought that was high so I handed it back and went to look at the used rack.

I had to eat crow on the price though. On my way out there was a young fellow buying it and doing the paperwork.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I'll be buying one. They're allocated at Davidsons right now. No hurry though.

Banned

For 750 I would have walked out laughing at that chump buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I saw my first Ruger 9mm carbine yesterday at Wild Bills in Elk Grove CA. I handled it and looked it over. It felt fat and chunky and a little heavy. It fit to my shoulder well and I like the ghost ring rear sight.

It seemed that I had to tuck my head down a little lower to align the sights than I do on my Marlin. Overall it was okay but they were asking $749 for it.

I thought that was high so I handed it back and went to look at the used rack.

I had to eat crow on the price though. On my way out there was a young fellow buying it and doing the paperwork.

Steve in N CA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    For 750 I would have walked out laughing at that chump buying it.
    The wife and I saw one Sunday at the gun shop. I did laugh out loud when I heard the price and yes a young man was filling out the paper work on it. I guess there is a fool born every minute.

KyGunCo has them for around $520.00, shipped. Currently out of stock though.

I'm going to hold off until it's revealed if they will indeed be available in other calibers, and if easy caliber conversions are part of the plan.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with 308 Jeff on this. I'm really interested, but am going to wait till all the hoopla goes down a bit. I would like to see a .40 S&W, and a .45ACP. That way I can pair it up with some guns I have.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Will wait for it in a proper caliber beginning with 4.

The itty bitty europellet is the preferred cartridge of Nazis, androgynous handwringing bedwetters, those with skeletal dysfunction and chronic wasting diseases, surrender monkeys, and those unable to operate a revolver. I hope this iteration brings them all joy.

It’s a takedown! How can you not like a take down?

Banned
    And why is it better than a Hi Point? I think if I ever get a pistol caliber carbine it will be a Hi Point. ...Price tag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    And why is it better than a Hi Point? I think if I ever get a pistol caliber carbine it will be a Hi Point. ...Price tag.
    Takedown, threaded barrel, better mags, better sights, and I wager we'll see aftermarket triggers here soon. If you down need those capabilities that's fine, but folks who do will appreciate the difference.

I just wish they'd been out when I was building my AR 9mm rifle.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post

The itty bitty europellet is the preferred cartridge of Nazis, androgynous handwringing bedwetters, those with skeletal dysfunction and chronic wasting diseases, surrender monkeys, and those unable to operate a revolver. I hope this iteration brings them all joy.
    That was very informative, just not about the new carbine.

Banned
    I'll be blunt... I saw the Ruger touched it held it and I wasn't impressed a bit. Its over priced and it will probably obtain a cult following from those willing to dish out money for something rather bland and crude.

Banned

the fact that its a ruger will about insure it sells. There is defineately a ruger cult following. As to it being superior to a high point I have to agree with Mcdanial.mac. As to it being chambered in 9mm ill say this. I can shoot my ar15 9mm as cheap as I can shoot my s&w ar22. 4 grains of powder and a primer. Brass is about given away and a guy that hangs around a range can get it for free. Loaded in a rifle with +p loads and something like an xtp or gold dot it is probably more effective for self defense then any 40 or 45 handgun. recoil is so mild in a rifle that an 8 year old kid can shoot it. Factory ammo is much cheaper then 40 or 45 if you don't handload and is more readily available everywhere. Shtf senerio its going to be much easier to find then ANY rifle or handgun ammo.

It is not just the preferred ammo for Nazi's and wimps. Its the preferred round for our own military and probably more law enforcement personal then any other round. heck even the seals use 9mm carbines. If they are wimps compared to anyone here then I will give you a very wide berth. Revolvers? sure there cool but so is a model A. If they were viable combat weapons the police and military would still be using them today. If I could have ONLY one pistol caliber rifle then 9mm is a no brainer to me. Even if all of this wasn't true take a 9mm carbine to the range one day and I about guarantee it will put a smile on your face. Maybe we can get ruger to chamber it in 458mag so I can feel more macho at the range.

Will I buy one? Maybe, but it would take it being chambered in 40 and 45 too with conversion barrels and bolts so a guy could shoot anything but even with glock mags it would take a bigger mag well to handle the 45 mags. If I didn't already have a 9mm rifle I have to admit id probably buy one when the prices got real. but even at 500 bucks I look at the 9mm ar15 based gun that psa sells for 500 bucks and know which id choose. I want a 40 carbine. Ive owned a highpoint and it ran just fine but I just couldn't find any love for it. It will probably come down to whether ruger chambers in in 40 before I can find an ar15 in 40 at the same price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'll be blunt... I saw the Ruger touched it held it and I wasn't impressed a bit. Its over priced and it will probably obtain a cult following from those willing to dish out money for something rather bland and crude.

Banned
    Your right I own a Hi point and its a crude yet function *** and its accurate. I just don't like anything Ruger has ever made with the exception of the 10-22 and their Mark II,III,and IV heavy barrel target pistols.

Banned

had one in 45acp. didn't much care for the space gun look but it did run well. reason I got rid of it was I couldn't find any high capacity mags for it. Guess I didn't see the practicality of an 8 shot 45acp when even my marlin 44 mag held 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Barretta has made a 9mm carbine for many many years. These guns will run and run and run. Look at HI Point no need to worry about the Ruger. Not my cup of tea as I prefer the Shockwave or good defensive shot gun for home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post

Now that's funny right darr.

My hope with this unit is that Ruger doesn't pull it's usual routine.
    Make something really nice, with a demand, then do a ridiculously small run of it. Then sit back and wait like 18 months before you do another run, then complain to the bean counters it's not selling - when you let it lapse so long people gave up looking. Then make another tiny run and freaking discontinue it. citing "lack of interest"....

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    My hope with this unit is that Ruger doesn't pull it's usual routine.
    Make something really nice, with a demand, then do a ridiculously small run of it. Then sit back and wait like 18 months before you do another run, then complain to the bean counters it's not selling - when you let it lapse so long people gave up looking. Then make another tiny run and freaking discontinue it. citing "lack of interest"....
    Well that very thing happened with Ruger's last PC carbine.

Banned

you have to keep in mind that back when the originals were made there just wasn't a demand for them. I remember even seeing them heavily discounted because they just didn't sell. People were into self defense guns back then and most that were carried revolvers and 1911s. You really cant expect ruger or any other company to pound out a million of them before they even know what the demand will be. they would go under in a year if they did that. They make a run and see how fast there snatched up and see what kind of orders they have for more and make another run and do the same. I think ruger will do good with these new ones. that is if they sell at realistic prices. there are millions more 9mm and 40sw handgun shooters out there today that might want a carbine to shoot the same ammo then there was back when the first ones were made. there bean counters not shooters. If theres a demand for them and profit in it they will keep making them. If theres not then they will go away like the first models.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Well that very thing happened with Ruger's last PC carbine.

Banned
    One needs to remember that when any new gun hits the street there are always those that will buy for the sake of having it first and will pay the outragous price Ruger is retailing these at. Once the initial frenzy is gone there may very well not be too much interest in it.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast