RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

Banned

Ive got a cmmg ar15 in 9mm and id bet its got well over 50k through it and not a single bit of wear shows and nothings broke yet. What are these small parts you claim there hard on?? Id like to know if for no other reason then to buy some back up parts. I guess I don't understand why they would be. there just a blow back gun no different then the ruger.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    Sight unseen I'd take this Ruger over the PSA. Blow back PCC AR's tend to not have the most lengthy shooting careers. They're hard on the smaller parts.

Watched a video yesterday and it looks like part of the reason for the takedown is the Ruger is designed to be modular for easy caliber changes. Change the fore end, bolt, and weight (and possibly the mag well) and you have another caliber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive got a cmmg ar15 in 9mm and id bet its got well over 50k through it and not a single bit of wear shows and nothings broke yet. What are these small parts you claim there hard on?? Id like to know if for no other reason then to buy some back up parts. I guess I don't understand why they would be. there just a blow back gun no different then the ruger.
    Primarily the hammer pin. It takes a pretty good whack from an unlocked bolt in a blowbackgun. I have read that putting a set of those anti-elongation pins in them is also a good idea to prevent egging out the pin holes in the lower.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Primarily the hammer pin. It takes a pretty good whack from an unlocked bolt in a blowbackgun. I have read that putting a set of those anti-elongation pins in them is also a good idea to prevent egging out the pin holes in the lower.
    Interesting... that's the first I've heard of this particular problem. I am curious as to how many people see this problem.

Banned

yup its new on me too. Can anyone show any links to actual complaints about this happening? I'm never to old or bull headed to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Interesting... that's the first I've heard of this particular problem. I am curious as to how many people see this problem.

This Ruger looks fun. I called a LGS and he could order one for about $525. With that rail on top all it needs is a dot sight and a brass catcher.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Do these blow back designs require certain loads to operate correctly? Would a 147 grain plus P be tough on it if it is sprung for 115 white box ammo? I'm new to blow back designs.

I hope they come out in 45 ACP, not much of 9mm guy. But I'd almost buy it in 9mm.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Do these blow back designs require certain loads to operate correctly? Would a 147 grain plus P be tough on it if it is sprung for 115 white box ammo? I'm new to blow back designs.

I hope they come out in 45 ACP, not much of 9mm guy. But I'd almost buy it in 9mm.
    With them having the barrel threaded for use with a suppressor, I imagine they have it tuned to run with the 147 grain subsonic ammo. So it should run fine with the lighter stuff too.

I've been watching a lot of youtube review videos. People have been using everything from 100 grain to 147 grain with no issues.

Boolit Master
    It’s an interesting gun and I’m glad that it can take Glock magazines. The take down capability it really lost on me as I’ve never felt the need to break a rifle down from it’s using configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It’s an interesting gun and I’m glad that it can take Glock magazines. The take down capability it really lost on me as I’ve never felt the need to break a rifle down from it’s using configuration.

I think part of the reason for the take down feature is easy caliber conversions (to be available in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    Sight unseen I'd take this Ruger over the PSA. Blow back PCC AR's tend to not have the most lengthy shooting careers. They're hard on the smaller parts.
    I've heard that AR pistols in 5.56 and so forth are hard on recievers and buffers but nothing on pistol cal blowbacks. I too am willing to learn. But I still use those spinning & dancing trigger & hammer pins with no problems.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

my cmmg ar15 is blow back and it runs everything from 120s loaded with 4 grains of aa2 to full snort 147s. I don't recall it ever missing a beat. Well I cant really say that. I was out once last year with some 147hps and had the bullets seated out to far and they were out just far enough to rub on the front of the mag but that was my fault not the guns. One shooting session last year I ran a whole 3lb coffee can full of 9mms with 147 pc'd bullets through it and I'm sure there was well over a 1000 in that can and it didn't miss a beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The take down capability it really lost on me as I’ve never felt the need to break a rifle down from it’s using configuration.
    Allows for cleaning from the breech........most importantly.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I guess. But all of my rifles can be cleaned from the breech. No takedown option needed.

I’m not knocking the gun, but being a takedown isn’t a selling point for me. When I carry a gun I want it available for immediate use so the takedown capability is lost on me.

I plan to buy one on the used market this year during the summer after everybody has blown their tax money and have to sell things to get ready for Christmas, lol.

Banned

two reasons I like the fact it will be a takedown. Its kind of nice to break a rifle down to a smaller package and stick under the seat of my truck vs having to have it in the open and secondly is like 308jeff said it would be kind of cool if ruger would sell a 40 barrel and bolt face so you could swap caliber in seconds. both the 40 and 9mm glock mags are identical in size so the mag well would work for both.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My understanding is that a blowback AR needs a ramped bolt carrier or an un-notched hammer which accomplishes the same thing. Otherwise, the bolt slams back into the hammer pushing the pins into the receiver. The various intricacies of adapting the AR to pistol cartridges and the high cost of a factory gun have kept me from taking the plunge. A rifle that is designed from the get-go for pistol cartridges and uses Glock mags makes way more sense to me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

Prices have came down. PSA sells a complete AR based 9mm for 550 bucks that uses glock mags. That's not much more then the ruger and it sure is better looking. At least in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My understanding is that a blowback AR needs a ramped bolt carrier or an un-notched hammer which accomplishes the same thing. Otherwise, the bolt slams back into the hammer pushing the pins into the receiver. The various intricacies of adapting the AR to pistol cartridges and the high cost of a factory gun have kept me from taking the plunge. A rifle that is designed from the get-go for pistol cartridges and uses Glock mags makes way more sense to me.

Boolit Master
    Barretta has made a 9mm carbine for many many years. These guns will run and run and run. Look at HI Point no need to worry about the Ruger. Not my cup of tea as I prefer the Shockwave or good defensive shot gun for home defense.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 01-28-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Barretta has made a 9mm carbine for many many years. These guns will run and run and run.

I have a couple. Trigger is not great, but they do run and run and run

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast