MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
PBcastco Wideners
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

Banned
    I originally bought the 45acp carbine for something to play with. I let the wife shoot it and it became her gun. We have put thousands of rounds thru it without any problems. I had purchased the extra length magazines and they function perfectly after a little tweeking. The only thing I don't like is their trigger that is rough and gritty feeling. My opinion is it is a better buy over the Ruger when you consider price point, factory service, and the fact that you point pull the trigger and they go bang every time.

Boolit Master
    I like Rugers, but that one is almost as ugly as my Hi Point. I am saving my pennies for the 1095ts that should be out this month anyway. https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/Hi-...0MM-black.html
    Back in the land of boolits.

Banned

Here was the gun.

http://www.featherusa.com/9mm---45acp.html

Used Glock magazines too!

Boolit Buddy
    I second the thank you to ruger for the glock mag well i am a camp 9 fan but *** is with the s&w mag really????????

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The fun store has the Ruger carbines on order, $479.00. I think it is inevitable that I'm gonna get one!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

I don't understand all of the comments about how ugly it is, or it is plastic. Were there not the same comments when Glock came to the market? If the Ruger is reliable.... and there is no reason other then speculation and bias to believe it won't be..... it will be a winner.

Boolit Master
    Well, since I don't like Glocks either.....

Banned

I went to the gunshop yesterday with the intent of buying a 45 high point. I chose the 45 because I talked to the people making the high capacity 9mm mags and they said the high capacity 45 mag is about to be introduced and the 40 which I really wanted wouldn't happen for a while. Well I went in there and they had a new Anderson comple lower with stock for 140 bucks. I just ordered a stainless barreled complete upper for 250 from palmetto. So for 390 bucks ive got another ar. Figured I blew my money so now ive got time to wait for ruger to make a .40.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I originally bought the 45acp carbine for something to play with. I let the wife shoot it and it became her gun. We have put thousands of rounds thru it without any problems. I had purchased the extra length magazines and they function perfectly after a little tweeking. The only thing I don't like is their trigger that is rough and gritty feeling. My opinion is it is a better buy over the Ruger when you consider price point, factory service, and the fact that you point pull the trigger and they go bang every time.

I like Hi-Point a lot. They make reliable firepower that anybody can afford, with outstanding customer service. That being said, I would much rather have a Ruger carbine for the following reasons:

Takes Glock mags, which I already have. Many, many options for mags out there from a variety of makers.

Has a conventional stock, which is far more comfortable and better looking to me.

Already has a threaded barrel in case I ever get a can. I can also put a flash hider on it, which increases lethality by 300%. This last point has to be true, why else would they be banned in the Soviet states?

The sights it comes with are perfect for the application. I feel no need to start brainstorming ways to put Williams or Lyman sighting equipment on it.

Quickly takes down into two pieces.

So, looks like I'll be putting serious thought into carbine specific loads for this thing until they show up. I'm thinking a slower powder like HS-6 might be just what we need.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Well, since I don't like Glocks either.....
    Kind of with you on that one. Never was a fan. But they are a well made handgun. Its really a shame that the MechTech conversions are so expensive.

Banned

yup I agree. the mec-tec is probably then nicest no AR styled gun but at 500 bucks and still needing to rob a glock lower off one of your guns or buy one for another 200 bucks the ruger looks pretty good at 500 bucks ready to roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Kind of with you on that one. Never was a fan. But they are a well made handgun. Its really a shame that the MechTech conversions are so expensive.

Boolit Master

I bought a Camp 9 25 years ago. It shot well but slung brass like a fiend. I bought a brass catcher but that was hard ABS and the brass sometimes bounced back into the chamber and jambed it. It became a safe queen until a few years ago. After reading up some, I learned it worked better with a stronger Wolf mainspring. I also learned the stock nylon buffer was prone to disintegrating. I further leaned the stock wood stock was prone to cracking at the wrist. I upgraded the spring (14 bucks), replaced the buffer with a silicone one (8 bucks, stock one crumbled as i removed it), and bought a Choate 5 position pistol grip stock (99 bucks, shoulders quickly with perfect sight acquisition). No longer slings brass into next week, maybe 10 feet. No longer a safe queen.

I wanted to build a 9mm AR platform just because. Pieced one together for $400. I used a free float hand guard so I could take it down. Fits in a briefcase. I used a mag well for colt mags, bought 32 round ProMag polymer, cut one down to 20 round because I like that length, and put a block in it and super glued to be CA legal (I was still in CA at the time). Wife wanted one and PSA was having a $399 no shipping price. Friends found out and so I showed them how to assemble with their lower receiver. I built/helped with 5 at that time. A few months ago, PSA had a kit for $399/ no mag block so you could use Colt or Glock mags depending on choice. I built/helped with 3, choosing the TorkMag for Glock. Neat design, two piece unit retained by Allen set screws. However, the TorkMag does not hold open after last shot, so thay is a consideration. Folks who already have a 556 can switch uppers and not need to buy a complete lower assembly. I even built a 9mm AR pistol that is a hoot to shoot. The PSA bolt carrier groups were all ambi so they work with Colt or Glock. My standard 9mm loads (125 RN Powder Coated) goes 1050 from my Glock, 1350 from my AR. The 10" pistol only dropped to 1325. Quiet, accurate, fun! I have also used a 100 RN and it is flawless. I want to try the Glock mag style to see if it feed flat nosed designs.

The new Ruger looks interesting but I want to see/handle one, same for the Keltec 2000, but I think I already have enough. My wife however anly has the AR and I have the AR and the Camp 9, and she is a HUGE Ruger fan. We shall see
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Awesome! What loads are you using in it and what boolits?

Boolit Master

Lee 125 RN, Tumble Powder Coated, 5 gr Unique, Lee 102 RN PCd, same 5 grains. I've loaded hotter with that Boolit in a pistol and got 1300 from a 4" bbl. I bet it would zing with a longer barrel. The Lee 120TC and the Lee 125 RF (PCd of course, haven't used lube in years) both hung up during feeding from a Colt mag AR. I can't help but wonder if a Glock based mag would would feed seeing as it feeds from the center, not from a staggered mag. We will see when I test that theory.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    I see the Camp 9's are much maligned here but I love mine . Heavy ..adding to bench accuracy and mine has been unfailing with no problems at all . I keep hearing the buffer needs be replaced but after years of use I can't justify replacement . Camp 9 is wood and steel , a more 'traditional' rifle and I shoot it more than any other for plinking ..it's cheap to shoot .

Some want the more 'space age' carbines and that's great ! But I'll defend the Camp 9 .
    It signals that it needs to be replaced when pieces of what looks like an old crumbly eraser start falling out of the trigger slot when you shoot it. The bad news is that by the time you notice it will have likely already broken your hammer strut bridge. Or at least that's what mine did.

A new buffer is cheap insurance. Think of it as a maintenance item, like changing your oil. The new ones supposedly won't crumble like the originals did. I used the Power Custom replacement.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

believe it or not but my cmmg 9mm ar15 shoots a group buy 147 hpgc casted out of ww and powder coated with 4 grains of aa2 into inch and a quarter 5 shot groups at a 100 yards with a scope mounted. It easily pounds 4 inch steel plates at a 100 yards with an aimpoint on it. With a better trigger id bet it would easily shoot moa.
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Awesome! What loads are you using in it and what boolits?

Boolit Master
    Yep, AR conversions are probably the best way to go for a pistol carbine.

When I start thinking about one it kinda goes.

1. I want a handy, short/folding, pistol carbine.
    2. AR ends up being best bang for buck.
    3. If I am using an AR then why not a rifle cartridge?
    4. So, get a 14" .223 or .30AAC

Then I have another 'rifle'. After a while I start thinking about a pistol carbine again. Rinse. Repeat

Some might say, but, I only need to carry one kind of ammo. BTDT with the .357 Pistols don't like the same ammo that carbines like. So, end up with two loads anyway.

Despite all this, two guns I'd like to have are the Thompson SMG and M1 Carbine (already have a Garand).

The M1 carbine serves the concept very well at this house.
    Compact, reliable, powerful enough and cheap to shoot with reloads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Lee 125 RN, Tumble Powder Coated, 5 gr Unique, Lee 102 RN PCd, same 5 grains. I've loaded hotter with that Boolit in a pistol and got 1300 from a 4" bbl. I bet it would zing with a longer barrel. The Lee 120TC and the Lee 125 RF (PCd of course, haven't used lube in years) both hung up during feeding from a Colt mag AR. I can't help but wonder if a Glock based mag would would feed seeing as it feeds from the center, not from a staggered mag. We will see when I test that theory.
    My Glock mags feed anything, especially the Lee boolits.

Banned

my cmmg 9mm AR uses colt 32 round stick mags and has been a 100 percent reliable with any bullet conventionally lubed or pc'ed. I don't recall it ever missed a beat even once.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast