Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

It looks like Ruger got smart with this 9mm carbine. The You Tube video I saw stated the trigger was at 4 lbs. and not the normal lawyer proof trigger that ruger has been known to use in the past on some guns. Also the two targets shown were very good 50 yard groups and the only fail to eject was one of the blazer ammo rounds that can give problems in other guns.
    I plan to pick up one as the model without the threaded barrel is approved for CA. sales. I expect Ruger to later chamber it for 45 acp and 40 S&W. Coming out in 9mm was a good move as non reloading buyers will get it knowing they can get ammo for it at a cheaper price then 45 or 40 cal.

Banned

yup they actually put some thought into this. Its a take down. Uses glock mags not just ruger mags, its threaded for a suppressor and uses 1022 trigger parts which make having a nice trigger if it already doesn't an easy fix unlike the original carbines that had triggers you about needed to hook a truck up to to pull. even come with an integral rail for mounting a sight. Only advice I could give them other then other chamberings is to throw away or at least make it optional, the ruger mag well and ruger mag because id bet 90 percent of those buying these will use Glock mags. Give us a glock mag or sell it without a mag and the extra mag well for 40 bucks less. id love one in 40 but I will probably have to buy a 9. I already have an ar15 in 9 but my fear would be that these don't sell like I predict they will and are discontinued soon. I wont argue that a highpoint for the money isn't a good buy but reliable high capacity mags are only available in 9mm. there not threaded. There not take down, I have one and its a clubby feeling gun and my guess is because its a ruger it will hold its value better. Ruger (warranted or not) has a rep for making good guns. High points niche is cheap guns and kel-tecs are just as expensive, and have mixed reviews on quality and have poor choices in optic mounting and cost just as much as these will and sell so well its tough to find them. If its anything like a ruger pc carbine it will be dead reliable. No its not a beautiful custom walnut stocked rifle. Its a 500 dollar plastic gun. that said its sure no uglier then a 2000 keltec or a highpoint. Personaly I think a camo version wouldn't look to bad. If they can street price them at 500 bucks or less my guess is there going to be hard to find for a while. Another cool thing on there web site is a 9mm elc that is a lc9 stripped down for under 300 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    They were smart. They made it so that it takes Glock mags. Look wise, I've seen 9mm carbines that looks much worse. I'd buy it for the right price (under $400).
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-30-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Its a 500 dollar plastic gun. that said its sure no uglier then a 2000 keltec or a highpoint.
    I hate to say this Lloyd, and a lot of people will hate to hear it, but, "plastic is the future in guns."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

yup and anyone who hasn't shot one of these 9mm carbines doesn't know what there missing. I would dare say my ar15 9mm is the most fun gun I own. It accurate and can be shot with cast bullets for about what you pay for 22 shells and that's if you can even get them. A 100 lbs of lead and some cheap range once fired brass and your about guaranteed ammo for the long haul. It costs me 3-4 grains of powder and a primer to shoot mine. Heck ive got a smith ar22 and it sits and collects dust. The 9 hits harder and I don't have to worry that if I break into my stash of 22lr ammo I wont be able to replace it. No brainer to me and this ruger is less then half what I paid for my ar15. I promise you one thing. All that ugly will put a smile on your face at the range and fun with gun beats the heck out of sitting and caressing something that's so pretty your afraid to scatch it. Shouldn't be sharing this point of view because it might just make them hard to find a bit longer. Is it practical. I say YOU BET IT IS. Its a cheap plinker a great home defense or truck gun a great small game rifle and with +P ammo as powerful as a 357mag handgun and some here think that is plenty adequate for even deer hunting. A 40sw version would surely qualify it as a medium game gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I hate to say this Lloyd, and a lot of people will hate to hear it, but, "plastic is the future in guns."
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-30-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Banned

I would certainly be interested in one of these. I plan to get a High Point at some time, just haven't done it yet.

It may have been mentioned, but does anyone have experience with the 9mm carbine Chiappa makes that is designed to resemble the M1 Carbine? They are designed to use Beretta 92 magazines which are very common it seems and if the Army really ditches the M9 will become a lot more common.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I would certainly be interested in one of these. I plan to get a High Point at some time, just haven't done it yet.

It may have been mentioned, but does anyone have experience with the 9mm carbine Chiappa makes that is designed to resemble the M1 Carbine? They are designed to use Beretta 92 magazines which are very common it seems and if the Army really ditches the M9 will become a lot more common.
    I owned one of the Chiappa carbines. It functioned reasonably well and was accurate enough for general usage. The sights were problematic. After about 50-100 rounds the rear sight fell off.
    The trigger was not great. Just barely usable.
    It tended to like heavier boolits a bit better.
    Had to keep it well lubricated or it would fail.

Banned
    I'll wait for the 10mm version.

I really don't know what you "ugly guys" are talking about. That gun looks exactly how it should, to do what it does. I think they've got another winner!

Am hoping for a 40 S&W as I don't do 9MM, and like others I would like to see a .45 as well. I'd buy a .45 over a .40 in a second. I already have a .40 S&W Kel-Tec Sub 2000 so I don't need another .40 version however the .45 version would require yet another Mag Well Adapter and the .45 might have too much bolt thrust for this action to swallow. That's why there is no KT .45 .45 ACP might be asking too much and I seriously doubt you will see a 10mm version.

I will ask Gurney about the plans for the gun at SHOT in 3 weeks. I now have a reason to go to the booth.

I see this gun showing up immediately at PCC competitions, and I just bet Ruger does too. It would be a cheaper alternative to a AR9 that a guy could get into the sport with and not break the bank. I have a bunch of .40 Glock mags including 22 and 31 round versions that would fit this gun as well as my G35 and G23 mags, all of which would work perfectly.

I would add a Bushnell TRS 25 Red Dot and maybe a side mounted sling and be done with it.

Guys,,, This one is a winner, even if you think it is ugly.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    So is it to early to ask what the problems in this gun are going to be ? Engineering , quality control? or something else unforeseen ?

The fact they are making an adapter to use someone else's magazine is a good sign . The carbine does look like a neat do it yourself kit but , offered in other cartridges ?? Don't hold your breath , they already have a reason why not waiting .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A .40 version would be a winner too, I already cast and load for my Glock 22. My favorite load is the Lee 401-175-TC over 4.1 grains Bullseye for a very consistent and accurate 900 fps. With a slower powder I bet it could get it up to 1400-1500 out of the 16" barrel, duplicating a healthy .357 carbine load.

As far as quality control and recalls go, it is certainly something that has crossed my mind. I'm a little more optimistic about this new gun because blowback actions are pretty simple and Ruger already has decades of experience with the 10/22, as well as the previous Police Carbine. While the carbine will probably be popular I don't think Ruger is going to to be running production past the redline 24-7 as they have been with handguns and AR's. So, hopefully they will be less likely to allow lemons to go out the door.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The Remington Viper is back! This time in 9mm.......
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-30-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Where? Google shows nothing.

Boolit Master

looks similar

There will not be a 10mm version, yall are crazy. 9mm is awesome in a carbine, this will sell like hotcakes, especially with Glock compatibility everyone clamors for. The way Ruger is playing things these days is so that the aftermarket can jump on their products hard, everything is modular. Expect to see a lot of aftermarket support here. There will be integral suppressed barrels, stocks, it will be a great SBR project as well. 10/22 trigger parts mean that if you have an transferrable auto sear for one, it will be able to be converted to an MG host....which is awesome. It absolutely will be built up into post sample submachineguns. But, as it is, it's going to be a very cheap($500) suppressor host that will have broad market appeal and can easily function as an "Only gun" for many, or as a great companion to a Glock or modern Ruger pistol. If reliable, it will arguably be the best home defense option out there for the price- for women or those that aren't confident in their pistol skills, and it easily accepts a light/laser. It has backup sights and is a shoe in for a nice low cost red dot, like the Halosun ACSS put out by primary arms....they list BDC out to 200m for 9mm carbines, very cool. For what it is guys, it's less then half the cost of competitive options out there for PCC's.

Boolit Master

Looks to me like it might be legal in places where the High-Point is not. It doesn't have the evil hand grip sticking out, Maybe the threaded muzzle will make it evil enough. Maybe it doesn't make any difference. Still looks like fun and could be a must have for when the 22 becomes unavailable again.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Dude, that's cruel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Dude, that's cruel.

Dude, that's hilarious!!!

Actually, some of the Vipers were good guns. My dad had one and it was just as reliable and accurate as any other .22 auto I have ever tried that doesn't cost a bunch such as the Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, and Remington Nylon 66.

Boolit Grand Master

They were smart enough to let it accept Glock magazines. At ~$500 it will be a solid entry for USPSA PCC division.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I just meant it looks like one to me. I'm sure it'll work fine but if they were $350 or so I'd consider one for sure. I wish the price of Mini 14s would drop like AR prices have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast