Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: New Ruger 9mm Carbine

More range testing yesterday and some interesting failures. First of all the fore grip almost fell off after the screw tried to make an escape. Not big deal. But several FTF and looked like light primer strikes. Seemed like they were somewhat off center too, more than I’d expect. Then noticed the ets mag was causing a lot of these ftf, but the glock mags were not. Also had one round not fire, and was stuck in the chamber and wouldn’t extract. We even cycled bolt many times and it would not light off. Had to dig out the round with a screwdriver, wasn’t overly stuck in there really, but the extractor couldn’t grab it. Almost seems like the adjusting nut wasn’t holding the chamber and barrel far enough into the receiver, but I checked the nut and all was tight. Could my spacer ring be too thick? I don’t have a 9mm headspace gauge unfortunately.

OK I have been waiting to show this here as there has been so much bashing of these guns that people might think me un- knowledgeable about the subject. The fact that some think it is ugly is a non issue to anyone with a brain. In guns, functionality and usability is king, and that's all I'm interested in.

I got one of the first Ruger PCC 40's that were shipped at the end of May this year.I waited for these guns for over a year after I first asked Mark Gurney last year "Where is the .40's?" He told me to be patient and it was worth the wait..

I don't do 9MM and have 2 .40 cal Glocks (G35 and G23)and this gun takes all their magazines including Glock 22 round and KCI 31 round mags, and runs them all flawlessly. So far the only Mag that has given me trouble is a 9 round G27 mag which I stopped using.

I installed a Bushnell TRS 25 on my gun immediately after verifying the zero of the irons and started blazing away. After initial zeroing of the Red Dot I shot this 10 shot group at 50 yards, it measures 3" x 1 3/4". This was shot with Winchester 165 gr FMJ Target ammo from Walmart,(not reloads as written on the target) and this level of accuracy is entirely adequate for the intended purposes of this gun, which is Local 3 Gun Shoots, Plinking and Home Defense. Also 180 gr bullets have more knock down power than 124 gr 9 mm rounds..

The gun runs well and is breaking in nicely. It will be fully broke in after my upcoming trip to Front Sight in October. I will be shooting it again this weekend at a 3 gun shoot in Santa Barbara at the Winchester Canyon Gun Club, along with my G23 and Browning A5.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Good show Randy!

I have a mirror story. I too waited and waited for the 40. Grabbed the very first onemmy dealer was able to get. Right to the range with it!

I did have stopages straight outta the gate. But it was just first shot troubles as after running a box or three that mag and that ammo that wouldnt run ran perfectly.

As it standa now, mine is well
    Broken in asits pastbthe 1500 mark on my ammo. It has only shot a few factory over the chrono as a comparison only.

This gun is my truck/travel/steel fun gun. I have yet to use it in a match. But it will do fine. I want leave it irons as its most durable but I mounted a scope for accuracy then a dot to try. Now it's wearing only its factory peeps.

I haven't had any stoppage since the second or third magazine. I run mostlyG27 magazines with base plates to make the 10 as my state has a magazine legality limitation. I can run my std cap mags on the range and at home but not as defense. Ooh I have had issue with a aftermarket fun stick. But its magazine only as other 40’s will not run it either. Its been “retired”.

Velocities on std target ammo surpasses 10mm full house loads and my heavy/defensive loads are AWSOME VELOCITIES/ENERGYS far surpassing the heaviest 100mm HG loads.

I gonna use this on Hogs next chance I get!! I have a hard cast WFN 198g that feeds fine and clocks to nearly 1400 fps from this 16” Bbl. It should be devastating!

Accuracy with the scope was sub 2” @ 100 with jacketed and about 4-5” with my lighter steel lead
    loads W/power pro and a Lyman 180rfn. Im happy with that.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Well it is been awhile and it was time to get back to my favourite forum. I have had my CX 4 Storm for a number of years. I bought it when Beretta was only bringing into Canada the 15"+ barrel version you folks get. Beretta now brings into Canada a 18/5" barrel version to get around our stupid registration system. I prefer the "Restricted" version I have for IDPA PCC shooting. All this brings me to the Ruger PCC.

Well I bought one and could not be happier. I converted the mag to Glock mags. I don't have a Glock pistol bit the mags are relatively cheap up here so why not? The gun functions perfectly with my 356402 Lyman bullet as well as Montana Gold FMJ 124 gr and 147gr Win Factory rounds. I mounted a Vortex Sparc2 on it and the gun is extremely accurate out to 25 yards. The yardage dictated by my ageing eyes. I can hit the 100 yard gong at our range regularly so from that aspect life is good. The trigger is a lot better than my CX4 which doesn't say to much but it is not bad. The only thing I will say is the reset is rather long and took some time to get used to. I put a sling on it and will use the gun for IDPA PCC shooting this fall and see how the gun fairs against the Storm.

Since I reload and cast my own 9MM bullets the gun is cheap to shoot. I think Ruger has hit a home run with this gun. The platform is one where Ruger could expand the caliber selection. A 40 cal/10MM version would be one worth looking at for a camp gun up here.

The Ruger is my third 9MM carbine. I have a Kel tec Sub2K and use it for my truck gun. With a red dot on it, the gun serves well in that capacity.

I rate the three guns as follows:

1. CX 4 Storm Pros: Accurate, Compact Cons: Trigger - a poor third place in this group
    2. Ruger PCC Pros: Reliable, Accurate, trigger best of the three, Break Down feature, Build Quality Cons: None
    3, Sub2k Pros: Light, Rugged, *Folding Feature, Reliable and Accurate, Tons of after market toys to add on to the gun. Cons: Iron Sights are useless unless you are a pretzel.

I'll add pics later.

Take Care

Bob

*Until I buy a fold away arm to attach the Red Dot sight the guns folding feature is lost.
    Last edited by robertbank; 08-30-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I have shot and handled the Beretta Storm but not extensively and not in sometime. Yours is probably the third or flirth time someone has brought up liking the Beretta best of all.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have shot and handled the Beretta Storm but not extensively and not in sometime. Yours is probably the third or flirth time someone has brought up liking the Beretta best of all.

CW
    It is a bit pricey up here with the "Non Registered" versions going for around $1,200Cdn. new. ($900US). Lightly used $800Cdn. The Registered ones (Barrel 15") now sell used for around $600Cdn. The 15" guns are not brought in anymore now Beretta is producing the 18" versions for Canada. CX4 is very much an underrated carbine. It comes with a terrible trigger that can be improved by replacing the polymer trigger group with metal after market parts. At best though even with the metal parts the trigger is just high average. All of that said, when I am shooting a match I never notice the trigger. Beretta guns are well put together and they are accurate.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Funny, complaints about the aesthetic of this rifle are confusing to me. I do believe looks matter, and I wouldn’t own the hipoint for this reason. However I feel this ruger is not only not ugly, but actually quite attractive. Dunno, but it’s good for me. I do wish I’d gotten the black one however as the camo finish example is not holding up at all and will look like carp in no time I’m afraid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B83D9EE-8189-4976-B669-57239CA4C8C8.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	247923
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B62D0E07-7D04-4A96-AF4C-4DC628A45910.jpg  
    Last edited by Drew P; 09-06-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks Drew I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me. This gun looks like a rifle, shoots like a rifle and feels like a rifle. Very accurate, and reliable. The fit and finish was very good. Kinda old school in today's buy and pray environment.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    make sure to check all the screws on the PCC often. They seem to loosen up quite often.

Screws do what screws do. Blue Loctite is your friend with a lot of guns including this one.

Take Care

Bob

For my 9MM handguns I shoot the Lyman 356402 bullet under in any order, 4.1gr of 231, 4gr of Titegroup under a 125 gr FMJ.

With the longer barrel (18.5") up here would a slower power be more useful? I am getting 1" groups with both loads out to 25 yards. With my eyes I can't manage shooting groups without the benefit of a scope. Can't say enough good things about this rifle. Build quality is excellent. Might be a sign of things to come with Ruger.

Take Care

Bob

I apologies if this question has been asked before but is anyone out there making an insert for Beretta, Sig or Walther mags for this gun? I am thinking combination issues using say a Sig 320 with the Ruger PCC in 2 Gun events. The SIG, Beretta and Walther all use the same size of mag with different cutouts for the mag release.

Take Care

Bob

Bob: Answer is no to the other mag wells . Simple fix,,, Buy a Glock, and use those mags.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

OH, hi Randy. I have the Glock mags for the gun,no issues there. What is more of an interest is IDPA PCC Division and my desire to match Carbine with handgun. I just don't like Glocks and I don't own one. Up here as you know we are limited to 10 round mags for handguns. Semi Autos long guns are limited to five rounds EXCEPT you can load 10 rounds in your gun using "Pistol Mags". eg guys who own AR's can use 10 round AR Mags designed for AR pistols and are so designated on the mag. note I never said the idiots in Ottawa wrote a law that makes sense but there you are.

Since I don't own a Glock but have several other popular brands (Sig 320, Walther PPQ, Beretta 92A1). It is just a matter of time before a company makes other inserts. The three guns I mentioned have magazine with the same dimensions albeit with different cutouts for the mag release. Make an insert for each of the three using the same dimensions with different notches for the three guns. While my interest may not warrant someone making after market inserts, I am sure there are a few folks in the US who would not mind pairing their Ruger with an M&P or any one of the models I mentioned.

Thanks for the reply I will wait and watch with hope. :>)

Take Care

Bob
    PS Your suggestion has merit. She who knows best might use a Glock 34 over my head if I did go out and get one. Might be worth the chance. LOL

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617